The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I've applied too. Can't shed any light on the application process as I still haven't heard anything three weeks later; not sure that's a good thing. What location have you applied to?
Been a month since the deadline passed now - hoping we hear about interviews soon.
Reply 3
I received an email to say that the sift was taking longer than expected, so I suppose it’s just a waiting game. I applied for Newcastle. What about you?
Gartcosh. I keep refreshing CS jobs like a madman. I know I’ll get an email but I keep clicking on feedback hoping for something new to appear.

ETA - I didn’t get that email
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 5
Will they do the sifting only based on personal statements? Or they will check the Verbal and Numerical score as well for sifting?
Reply 6
Original post by aa_2020
I received an email to say that the sift was taking longer than expected, so I suppose it’s just a waiting game. I applied for Newcastle. What about you?

I applied for Nottingham
Original post by Onger
Will they do the sifting only based on personal statements? Or they will check the Verbal and Numerical score as well for sifting?

I’m not sure to be honest. I read something about how they (are meant to) “grade” applications and it sounded like the personal statement is most important and then the tests are taken into account for borderline candidates (after the pass mark has been reached obvs).

No idea if that’s how it’s always done though, and it was a while ago that I read it. I’ll see if I can find it.
Reply 8
Me too, Gartcosh. Got 97 numerical, 82 verbal.Started refreshing the page 5 minutes after submission lol.No email for me neither.Good luck 👍
I got an interview invite this morning. I don’t usually even check my emails on the weekend because I assume nothing will come through. Shocked is an understatement!
Same here! Just need to prepare for the interview now... Somehow
Reply 11
I received an interview invitation too. Good luck everyone! Hopefully the interviews go ok 😊
Reply 12
Unsuccessful here. Gutted!
Best of luck to you all.
Reply 13
Just checked my feedback and scored extremely poorly in the suitability statement.
Any tips or advice from those successful would be greatly appreciated for going forward as I had thought it was good!
Shows what I know.....
Original post by acemum
Just checked my feedback and scored extremely poorly in the suitability statement.
Any tips or advice from those successful would be greatly appreciated for going forward as I had thought it was good!
Shows what I know.....

Are you answering their essential criteria as stated in the job ad? Essentially that's all I do, if they state they want good communication skills written and verbal then demonstrate how you do that now. For example, I'm a complaint handler and I will articulate how I do this in my current role such as sending out complaint letters to customers as well as testing my verbal and listening skills using the phone. Put it this way I've applied for 40 jobs in the civil service and I've noticed that my personal statement is getting better, it must be as I'm getting more interviews.

If you need help pm me.
Reply 15
Original post by Tysonfury111
Are you answering their essential criteria as stated in the job ad? Essentially that's all I do, if they state they want good communication skills written and verbal then demonstrate how you do that now. For example, I'm a complaint handler and I will articulate how I do this in my current role such as sending out complaint letters to customers as well as testing my verbal and listening skills using the phone. Put it this way I've applied for 40 jobs in the civil service and I've noticed that my personal statement is getting better, it must be as I'm getting more interviews.

If you need help pm me.

Thanks for the reply, yes I believed I was declaring excellence in these criteria, perhaps lacking examples has been my downfall.
It seems too obvious to describe and detail attributes which should be clear from a description of my previous roles and responsibilities.
I'm applying now for an intelligence officer position so I might take you up on the offer when I'm at that bit, thanks.
Scored low on SJT but still in it so if nothing else it's practise!
Original post by acemum
Thanks for the reply, yes I believed I was declaring excellence in these criteria, perhaps lacking examples has been my downfall.
It seems too obvious to describe and detail attributes which should be clear from a description of my previous roles and responsibilities.
I'm applying now for an intelligence officer position so I might take you up on the offer when I'm at that bit, thanks.
Scored low on SJT but still in it so if nothing else it's practise!

I literally failed loads of applications, but no I'm getting better. I've had 4 interview offers in the last month.
I think try to give an example, but perhaps be subtle with your wording as we only have sometimes 750 words.

Also look at 'careervids' channel on YouTube, he helps with civil service interviews and applications.
I booked my interview slot today, really nervous about this interview because I'm not sure what to expect. I'm going to read over the success profiles and look back on the personal statement I submitted to see what competencies I can build on.
You have to ensure you example where you meet each competency that is mentioned in the job advert. Each example will become stronger if it covers more than one competency. For example: You may say you did something which actually covers every personal quality they look for, such as a team exercise that covers:, leadership, communication, initiative, respect. If you mention a time you worked as part of a team, ensure you focus on what you did within that team. If you were given a hard task to complete, show how it started as a negative experience but turned it in to a positive outcome. Show how you communicate your own ideas aswell as listening to others. Demonstrate your leadership skills and how you support those under you. Did you show how you demonstrate initiative and not wait to be told what to do. Did you mention your passion for learning, the role involves learning so that's well worth a mention. What about the importance of the role of Criminal Investigator and the importance of paying tax, the benefits to society and the repercussions to those most in need If tax isn't paid. Its important to mention why you want to do the job and why the job is so important. Remember to always tell them you are willing to get the job done right first time even if it means working in your own time. Remember you want to work for a diverse and inclusive organisation that shows respect for all regardless of race, religion, gender or social background. Remember to mention how you learn from your mistakes to ensure you develop in the future.Just a few if you didn't include them.
Hi guys, I also received an interview for this post. Really nervous as I have no idea how these interviews go. I was just wondering what people scored in their personal statements? I only got 4 and thought that was pretty low to be offered an interview

Latest

Trending

Trending