The Student Room Group
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter

Got into my firm but don't really want to go

Got into Exeter with A*A*AA when the offer was AAB, but I'm so worried that:
1) It's going to be boring. I've visited twice and it seems like a small town with one club and I'm terrified I'm going to be bored out of my mind.
2) Everyone there is posh and I won't fit in at all. Everyone I've met so far who is going is posh and it's stressing me out a bit.
3) However no good unis are in clearing. I'm so f*cked.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
1) It's going to be boring. I've visited twice and it seems like a small town with one club and I'm terrified I'm going to be bored out of my mind.
2) Everyone there is posh and I won't fit in at all. Everyone I've met so far who is going is posh and it's stressing me out a bit.

What subject and why did you firm it?
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter
Reply 2
Original post by Scotney
What subject and why did you firm it?

Sorry should've clarified
Law and I firmed it because I thought it was a good idea at the time. Seriously re-considering.
Reply 3
Sorry should've clarified
Law and I firmed it because I thought it was a good idea at the time. Seriously re-considering.

@harrysbar Can you help here?
Reply 4
Original post by Scotney
@harrysbar Can you help here?

Thank you x

You've met and exceeded your firm offer. Have you tried looking in adjustment? You can use adjustment while still holding your firm place, so if you don't find somewhere else, you can still go to your original firm choice.

you can go through adjustment!!!!
Reply 7
Original post by ry7xsfa
You've met and exceeded your firm offer. Have you tried looking in adjustment? You can use adjustment while still holding your firm place, so if you don't find somewhere else, you can still go to your original firm choice.

Original post by frogplant

Thank you, I've started looking but can't find any good unis that are doing adjustment for Law this year!!! It's impossible to find!
My sister and a friend both went to Exeter (neither are posh!) and loved it. I grew up nearby. It's a great city!
Original post by frogplant

There’s not many options for people who exceed their offers this year ( I being one who achieved A*A*A*A and in a regular year if I had achieved those grades i would of likely had a chance of getting into kcl or maybe even Cambridge for adjustment (I had an interview there and met the other criteria but alas it wasn’t meant to be ))

You have quite a few options here:
1. Adjustment (see below)
2. Go to the uni, see how it is, if you really don't like it then potentially transfer/drop out
3. See if you can defer and/or apply for somewhere else for 2022 entry
4. Contact the uni to withdraw from the place

What do you think you'd like to do? There's no rush, take your time to think it through!

Original post by ry7xsfa
Original post by BurstingBubbles
You have quite a few options here:
1. Adjustment (see below)
2. Go to the uni, see how it is, if you really don't like it then potentially transfer/drop out
3. See if you can defer and/or apply for somewhere else for 2022 entry
4. Contact the uni to withdraw from the place

What do you think you'd like to do? There's no rush, take your time to think it through!

Thanks, this was incredibly helpful! I think that (2) is the best option, I will do that. However, surely if I stay for, let's say a month, I will have to pay tuition and accommodation fees. Where would this money come out of? Would it come out of my student loan as usual, or from my personal bank, because I'm not sure I have enough to be paying that off my own back, especially if it's a 'waste'. Also would that affect my student loan for 2022 entry should I go somewhere else? What do you think? :smile:
you get a 'plus 1 year' for finance for just this reason
Firstly, many congrats on your results :danceboy:

I agree with Bursting Bubbles - you have time for adjustment. Thought I would provide details of Salford for your consideration to study law. There are spaces available. If you want to know first hand what it's like to study law - speak to Charlie. She is one of our Unibuddies

Details on adjustment can be viewed HERE. As Manchester is on our doorstep you would not struggle to find things to do at anytime of the day!

Any questions just ask and good luck - whatever you decide.

Clare
Student Ambassador
Thanks, this was incredibly helpful! I think that (2) is the best option, I will do that. However, surely if I stay for, let's say a month, I will have to pay tuition and accommodation fees. Where would this money come out of? Would it come out of my student loan as usual, or from my personal bank, because I'm not sure I have enough to be paying that off my own back, especially if it's a 'waste'. Also would that affect my student loan for 2022 entry should I go somewhere else? What do you think? :smile:

Original post by ReadingMum
you get a 'plus 1 year' for finance for just this reason

It's worth checking out with Student Finance but I've known plenty of people do this and be fine. And yes normally you can get up to 4 years covered :smile: I don't think it's a waste if it's a way that you can find out what's best for your future. A waste would be to go to uni and hate the whole 3 or 4 years and not get anything out of it - better to try for a bit and then change if you need to :smile:
Thank you, I've started looking but can't find any good unis that are doing adjustment for Law this year!!! It's impossible to find!

Hi there,

Kent uni rep and a current law student here! :smile: First of all - congratulations on your results! It's been a difficult year but you managed to achieve great grades.
Have you considered KLS? We're one of the top law schools in the world (currently holding a 45th place) and I personally could not recommend it more!
If you'd be interested in finding out more have a look at our list of available courses here: https://www.kent.ac.uk/law/undergraduate

If there is anything I could help you with - let me know. I'd be happy to help!

- Agnes

Make sure you make your mind up before the term starts.
Original post by random_matt
Make sure you make your mind up before the term starts.

The whole point of the extra year is so you do not need to do this.

Hello Anonymous,

Sorry to hear that you are having second thoughts. I just thought I would try to jump in to help with to your questions about Exeter.

We do have a reputation for being posh- admittedly we do have a higher proportion of students from independent schools than some other universities, but we still have a diverse student community. We have student from 130 countries and a whole host of different backgrounds. Through our societies you can see the variety of interests our students have, and these are a great way to find people with similar interests to you. A full list of societies for our Exeter Campuses can be found here: https://www.exeterguild.org/societies/

Regarding whether Exeter is boring, we will never be able to compare to cities like Manchester, London or Leeds for nightlife. However, depending on what you want to do there are plenty of options. We have a selection of clubs offering student nights throughout the week and a selection of bars/pubs for you to choose from. There are plenty of places to eat out, a decent Highstreet with most brands you would want and cinemas/theatres/comedy venues/small music venues. In the South West we do not get all of the big shows/artists performing but Plymouth is an hour on the train and perhaps has a slightly bigger draw if that is something you are interested in. If you like sports matches both Exeter Chiefs Rugby and Exeter City provide good afternoons out. There are lots of student events put on throughout the year including balls, varsity and other celebrations like Diwali or Chinese New Year. This is on top of all the events that our 200 societies coordinate and deliver each year. Plus, being located in the South West were lots of people choose to holiday each year there are all of the things people would do on holiday (going to the beach, adventure parks, petting zoos, Dartmoor National park, kayaking/paddle boarding on the Quay or along the river in the city, the list goes on...).

I appreciate a member of staff telling you this is not that helpful so I would recommend using our ask a current student messaging service to speak to current students and ask them for their opinions (it is still active today, it is not live chats but you should get a reasonably quick response). I am sure they will provide an honest reflection on their experience. Again, I appreciate that what I said above may still not be for you which is absolutely fine, but I would not worry about Exeter being boring, perhaps just not the right fit for what you want from your university experience.

You do have options if you do decide Exeter isn't for you. You can apply to other universities in clearing without releasing Exeter yet; most should give you some time to consider a clearing offer so no pressure to make a decision today. Feel free to sleep on it to really work out what you want to do. I know clearing is competitive this year so you may also want to consider deferring for a year or withdrawing and applying with your achieved grades to start in September 2022.

I do hope this helps, there is so much to think about. Good luck with your decision making- I hope you do what is best for you. Please get in touch if you have any specific questions I can help with.

Melody
University of Exeter Student Recruitment Team

Hi Anonymous,
I understand your worry, and the suggestions below are helpful if you want to change Unis- but I wouldn't worry too much about some of the things you have listed. If the pandemic has shown one thing, it is that a lack of nightclubs are not a problem for Uni students- students and societies will find a way to meet and make things exciting even if that is in pubs, people's kitchens or online. I've also found University to have a real mix of welcoming people from all backgrounds during term time. You have got into an amazing University with amazing grades, everyone worries going to Uni but your worries may become just that come September and I would maybe consider why you chose your firm carefully before changing.
Hope this helps,
Lizzy, Student ambassador

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending