The Student Room Group

45% of students get A*s or As this year

hello deferrals, hello reapplicants. just let me cry because my chances of a med application this year are looking very much slimmer by the day.

If we put subject requirements aside, half of the country's y13s are now qualified to apply to almost all medical schools.

Not that it is the fault of any applicants at all, everyone is just trying to do their best.

Rip
(edited 2 years ago)
Damn, that's a large number! I'm just hoping the 2022 exams go ahead :adore: I've heard talks of Universities bringing in their own entrance examinations shortly because of grade inflation. Fear not, I doubt that they can introduce them this year.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by pepsiu
Not that it is the fault of any applicants at all, everyone is just trying to do their best.

And this is what we should try to concentrate on today :smile:
Original post by pepsiu
hello deferrals, hello reapplicants. just let me cry because my chances of a med application this year are looking very much slimmer by the day.

If we put subject requirements aside, half of the country's y13s are now qualified to apply to almost all medical schools.

Rip

I wish everyone the best and hope people get what they need as individuals.

but I strongly feel from a Macro-data perspective the last 2 years are a joke. Gavin Williamson & Ofqual of ended up with an appalling solution.

Places on courses should be awarded on merit, not a lottery basis.
Original post by pepsiu

Rip

You need UCAT or BMAT etc, plus work experience, plus to pass interview. GCSEs are also used.

And yes, subject requirements do matter.

There will be a knock on impact next year BUT please don't worry about this too much.
Original post by pepsiu

Rip

:hugs: It's really tough at the moment and it's really easy to get disenheartened. I hope you've had good news personally today though and have good people supporting you at home.

I'd just want to make 2 points that may help: firstly, not all the country's Y13s want to do medicine. It's maybe not the best way to look at it like that, because some people will not have the three As altogether, want to do it, or have the A* required by some schools. So it isn't quite as bad as it might seem (although I won't lie to you that it is likely to stay competitive)

Secondly, what matters is you and your application, not statistics. If we only look at statistics we could say no one should expect to get in because less than half of applicants do, but that's obviously silly. If you have a strong application and apply strategically, there's no reason why you can't be one of the thousands of people starting medicine every year.

:goodluck:I'm here if you need to talk, too :smile:
Where is that number from?
Reply 8
Original post by Theloniouss
Where is that number from?

BBC is reporting it, although I will say I made an error in the title. They are reporting that 45% are achieving A* and A grades, they don't clarify if that is ALL a*/a grades or at least 1
Original post by pepsiu
BBC is reporting it, although I will say I made an error in the title. They are reporting that 45% are achieving A* and A grades, they don't clarify if that is ALL a*/a grades or at least 1

That is very different. 45% of grades at A*/A is in line with last year's grades (actually 5% higher for some reason), as has been previously published.
We need more diversity in medicine and the NHS. I hope the amount of BAME students being accepted in medicine (and across the board) increases.
Reply 11
That is very different. 45% of grades at A*/A is in line with last year's grades (actually 5% higher for some reason), as has been previously published.

the figure for 2020 was 36.5%. The figure for 2019 was around 25%
Original post by Azagthoa
We need more diversity in medicine and the NHS. I hope the amount of BAME students being accepted in medicine (and across the board) increases.

Have you ever interacted with the NHS? It's an extremely ethically diverse organisation.
Take a look at these statistics:
https://www.ethnicity-facts-figures.service.gov.uk/workforce-and-business/workforce-diversity/nhs-workforce/latest
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by pepsiu
the figure for 2020 was 36.5%. The figure for 2019 was around 25%

https://www.bstubbs.co.uk/a-lev.htm#Totals has it at 38.6% for last year and 27.9% for 2019 unless I'm mistaken.
Reply 14
https://www.bstubbs.co.uk/a-lev.htm#Totals has it at 38.6% for last year and 27.9% for 2019 unless I'm mistaken.

Tbh I don't really know, I was just going off this article https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-58086908

but those figures seem about right

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending