The Student Room Group
Original post by Strait
I got my insurance which is Greenwich for comuputer science. I got BBC, is it worth going into clearing to find a better university?

Check what is available first, unless you definitely don't want to go to Greenwich. But you aren't guaranteed a space at a uni in Clearing. What about applying next year instead?
Original post by Strait
I got my insurance which is Greenwich for comuputer science. I got BBC, is it worth going into clearing to find a better university?

Congrats on your insurance! I went to my insurance and loved it! Are you not keen on going to Greenwich then? It's worth having a look what else is out there if you're not keen (look before declining your place at Greenwich in case you can't find anywhere and end up with no uni place - although it may be that you don't want to go to uni this year and reapply).
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Strait

Only you can truly answer this.

Some things to consider:

You're not guaranteed a place through clearing, so if you don't find one, you may end up without a university place completely. It's a risk. You need to calculate whether the risk is worth it. If you can see yourself being happy at Greenwich, do you really want to risk it for a university that may be considered "better". You'll need to be happy at the university you go to, so don't go for a different university just because you think the course is "better" if you'd prefer the overall student experience at Greenwich.
Hi Strait,
Congratulations on your grades! If you feel you can reach a better University then there is no harm in ringing up and seeing whether there is spaces (do not release yourself into clearing without having received an oral offer elsewhere though)! Hull currently offer both Computer Science and Computer Science for Games Development and may be worth a look at online or a call to the admissions team (https://www.hull.ac.uk/search/courses/ 01482 466100). Although I would also consider why you picked Greenwich as your insurance to begin with, and whether "better" Universities may have draw backs such as location, facilities etc that wouldn't work for you. If you get some clearing offers then you can sit down and consider those, and if not you still have a place!
Lizzy, Student ambassador
(edited 2 years ago)
Go to Greenwich - with BBC you wont find a 'better' Uni in Clearing.
Hi @Strait,

Have you considered Kent Uni? Here is a link to the course website: https://www.kent.ac.uk/courses/undergraduate/124/computer-science. Whilst I don't study it myself, I know that it's a course with a great reputation. :smile: There is a reason why it scored 90% overall in The Complete University Guide 2021.
You can check our rankings in Computer Science in comparison to other unis here : https://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings/computer-science
At the moment we have spaces on Computer Science through clearing. Our entry requirements change in real time, so if you'd be interested you could either check out our Clearing website (https://www.kent.ac.uk/clearing) or call our hotline directly (+44(0) 1227768896).

If there is anything else I can help you with - let me know! :smile:

- Agnes
If other Unis still have vacancies for CS - then you must ask yourself why they have.
Hi @Strait

Like everyone has said its your choice, exploring other options may help you to draw your conclusion easier. It could remind you why you had chosen Greenwick as your insurance in the first place.

If you are considering alternatives, Lizzy is right no harm ringing other uni's you may want to consider to see what they can offer, remember to compare your modules. Perhaps there is a course that mirrors your first choice? We have places on our computer science - you can view modules here. If it is of interest our lines are open until 7pm - 0300 555 5030. If you want to know more about Salford or clearing just ask.

Good Luck - whatever you decide.

Clare
Student Ambassador
Original post by Strait

Only you can decide that really, no harm in ringing around and finding out what your options are though? As mentioned above, don't release yourself into clearing till you are sure though.
Original post by Strait

Hello! :smile:

Congratulations on your grades and insurance, I hope you're very proud of all your achievements :smile:

It might be worth being flexible and having a look at different universities until you find one that's right for you! But whichever university you choose, I wish you all the best of luck.

If you would like to find more information about our Computer Science courses you can do so here :thumbsup:
Our courses have been carefully designed to promote openness and inclusivity for all we do not require students to have previously studied IT or Computer Science A-Levels or BTECs. And as one of the oldest computing departments in the UK, we have a strong heritage. Our courses are accredited by BCS, the Chartered Institute for IT :biggrin:

Some useful stats
BSc (Hons) Computer Science at Bradford received 92% overall satisfaction in the National Student Survey 2021.
100% of students agreed with the statements "My course has provided me with opportunities to explore ideas or concepts in depth", "My course has provided me with opportunities to apply what I have learnt", and "I have been able to contact staff when I needed to".

Check out our facilities
See our latest tech by using our Virtual Experience

But don't just take our word for it, hear from our students about their experience of studying Computer Science at Bradford!
"This is where I break stereotypes", Zoya's profile
"This is where I code my future", Marko's video

If you'd like to chat to our team to discuss your options you can do so by calling us on 0808 196 9129 or applying online anytime here

I wish you all the best with whatever decision you make, good luck!! :smile:

Becky
(edited 2 years ago)
Please, everyone - ignore all the posts from Unis telling you how amazing their courses are and why dont you call them.

Not helpful at this stage, and if they have to resort to TSR to fill their courses - ask yourself why they couldnt fill their courses.
Original post by McGinger
Please, everyone - ignore all the posts from Unis telling you how amazing their courses are and why dont you call them.

Not helpful at this stage, and if they have to resort to TSR to fill their courses - ask yourself why they couldnt fill their courses.

Hi @McGinger,

We're just sharing options with applicants who might need help. :smile: It's common for students to decide to apply to schools they end up really enjoying by learning about them through posts on forums or social media. Considering that there's a large number of unis in the UK it's hard to get a good grasp of their whole offering.
At the end of the day, we're just here to help and we choose which threads we should engage in. Most of us are current students (like me!) and we're simply tasked with spreading the word and helping applicants.
Lastly, just because there are spaces available - it doesn't mean that the schools are bad. :smile:

- Agnes
(edited 2 years ago)
Schools....? This is not America,
Reply 14
Original post by Interrobang
Check what is available first, unless you definitely don't want to go to Greenwich. But you aren't guaranteed a space at a uni in Clearing. What about applying next year instead?

I phoned up a uni and they offered me a place but there's nothing on my ucas, do I have to wait until 2 pm for my offer to show up?
Original post by Strait
I phoned up a uni and they offered me a place but there's nothing on my ucas, do I have to wait until 2 pm for my offer to show up?

Are you actually 'in Clearing'?
Did they say it was a definite offer - what did they tell you to do now?
Reply 16
Original post by McGinger
Are you actually 'in Clearing'?
Did they say it was a definite offer - what did they tell you to do now?

The guy said he offered me a place and he put it on his system. and yea I declined my Greenwich offer after he said he gave me the offer.
Original post by Strait

You need to add it to your Track, but you can't do that until 2pm

Latest

Trending

Trending