Student012340
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
Hi all,

I recently applied to begin a Biology degree with Open University, I'm excited to start and plan on working part time - my work is pretty flexible and I am able to pretty much choose my own hours. I don't have any children or other dependants so I can devote a good chunk of time to my studies.

My question is: Should I take on two modules in my first year studying Biology with OU?

I know this is tricky for others to gauge, given you don't know me, but if anyone is currently studying or has previously studied biology with OU I would love to hear what you think about doing two modules, how intense it is, if it is worth doing two modules in the first year as opposed to one etc..

I would love to get my degree done sooner rather than later but I also appreciate the option to spend more time on my studies, I feel better about splitting 'year 3' into two (60 credits per year as opposed to two 60 credit modules per one year) but I'm quite conscious that I might feel overwhelmed by jumping in the deep end in my first year?

My first module includes 17 TMA's & iCMA's and no exam, second module has 6 TMA's and 1 exam.

A little background, I last studied and Access to Radiography course in 2015/16. I got offered a very good job just before I was due to begin University so thought I would wait a year but then decided dark rooms and dealing with radiation day in day out might not be my thing!

I am pretty focused and tend to be very organised and on top of things, so studying has typically not been too difficult for me. I got all my GCSE's and went on to do A levels before doing my access course so I'm familiar with what is expected of me however this is still new territory for me so any advice or suggestions would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance! ⭐️
PAD123
Badges: 6
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 5 months ago
Evening,

Unfortunately I can not offer any information directly on this degree but hopefully can offer some in general I have found out so far. I am in the same position as you currently and torn between studying Biology or Environmental Science. Human Biology in particular probably holds a lot more interest to me but feel Environmental Science maybe offers a lot more diversity in terms of career potential I think but could be wrong. What is it you are hoping to go on an do after your degree?

Like you say every ones circumstances vary but having talked to a couple of people who have studied different courses previously it seems year 1 can be done while working full time if you are disciplined. I am planning on doing it full time alongside working four ten hour days, although I do work outside by myself a lot of the time so hoping I may be able to listen to or read content while on the move on my phone(something which I am yet to see if is possible but plan to ask others if it is)

You may want to double check this but also I did ask the OU and they do break up for a Christmas Break and an Easter break and if they follow the same structure as brick universities then I imagine it will be for four weeks at a time also. It is important to remember that there are deadlines in which work is due to be handed in so obviously you would need to work to that schedule.

A general rule seems to be 1 credit = roughly 10hours of study depending on your ability and the particular module of course so over the course of a year there seems to be 30 weeks of term time so 10hours times 120credit divided by 30 weeks would be 40hours a week. However if you factor in the 8 weeks of holiday time then that would be just under 32hours a week on average as you can use the holidays to get ahead providing the content is available, my understanding is that the content is available but again I would check this.

As an example my plan would be to study the first year full time doing the above and taking a weeks leave from work in November, February and May as a minimum to effectively give myself an extra full week at regular intervals to try get ahead on work if needed. From what I have read it also seems that content can become available from September so giving you a few weeks to try get ahead but again please check this. And one more thing is you can apparently defer a module if you start full time and find you struggle according to a friend who has registered to start full time but you can not switch from part time to full time once the year has begun.

With Biology S112 starts in October only and although it is recommended you start with S111 first i do not see why it matters if you are studying both alongside each other anyway but S111 has two start times one in October and one at the end of January so you could affectively do both before year 2 starts but only have a busy overlap period of four months doing them both.

I am hoping to do both modules this year but going to ask the question if I struggle if I can delay one to end of Jan start. My plan is to then either do the second two years over three calendar years or reduce my hours at work if in a position to do so at the time. Sorry for the long reply but hopefully this helps or at least gives you something to be looking in to.
rjoco
Badges: 4
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Student012340)
Hi all,

I recently applied to begin a Biology degree with Open University, I'm excited to start and plan on working part time - my work is pretty flexible and I am able to pretty much choose my own hours. I don't have any children or other dependants so I can devote a good chunk of time to my studies.

My question is: Should I take on two modules in my first year studying Biology with OU?

I know this is tricky for others to gauge, given you don't know me, but if anyone is currently studying or has previously studied biology with OU I would love to hear what you think about doing two modules, how intense it is, if it is worth doing two modules in the first year as opposed to one etc..

I would love to get my degree done sooner rather than later but I also appreciate the option to spend more time on my studies, I feel better about splitting 'year 3' into two (60 credits per year as opposed to two 60 credit modules per one year) but I'm quite conscious that I might feel overwhelmed by jumping in the deep end in my first year?

My first module includes 17 TMA's & iCMA's and no exam, second module has 6 TMA's and 1 exam.

A little background, I last studied and Access to Radiography course in 2015/16. I got offered a very good job just before I was due to begin University so thought I would wait a year but then decided dark rooms and dealing with radiation day in day out might not be my thing!

I am pretty focused and tend to be very organised and on top of things, so studying has typically not been too difficult for me. I got all my GCSE's and went on to do A levels before doing my access course so I'm familiar with what is expected of me however this is still new territory for me so any advice or suggestions would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance! ⭐️
Hi,

I'm currently studying access to radiography and wanted to know if you are to assist me or give me some guidance on the course, please
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you ever considered or are you currently considering an apprenticeship?

Yes, I am actively considering an apprenticeship (66)
12.24%
I am actively considering an alternative to uni that isn't an apprenticeship (9)
1.67%
I have considered an apprenticeship but it's not for me (141)
26.16%
I am considering a degree apprenticeship (44)
8.16%
I haven't considered an apprenticeship (261)
48.42%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (18)
3.34%

Watched Threads