The Student Room Group

A-level Autumn Resits 2021 MEGATHREAD *Updated 31/08/2021*

*Reminder* You need to enter any autumn resits by 8th September!

Hey guys

Last year, this was a really popular thread for those considering resist in the autumn. I think there will be less of you in this thread, but I thought it might still be nice for you all to have a space to discuss autumn resits and share experiences.

Don't forget you need to enter by 8th September. This may be before your school/college goes back, so make sure you get your entries in on time! You can only resit at the same exams you were entered for your summer 2021 exams. You cannot enter new exams this autumn.

Some key information for you all:

-If you’re unhappy with your teacher-assessed grade, you can sit exams in autumn and use whichever grade is better. Summer 2021 and Autumn 2021 exams are treated as one sitting.

- Only students due to sit exams this summer can sit autumn exams, and these need to be sat at the centre where you were previously registered to sit exams. The centre is not allowed to charge you any additional fees for this.

-To enter Autumn resits, you will need to talk to your school/college or exam centre. They are responsible for organising the exams and any access arrangements you may need. You're responsible for studying for the exams and dealing with uni applications. Do ask your school if they are able to help you with UCAS applications if you are reapplying.

- A-level exams will take place in all subjects in October. You can find exam timetables here:

AQA https://filestore.aqa.org.uk/admin/t...-CONFIRMED.PDF

OCR https://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/623355...core-maths.pdf

Edexcel https://qualifications.pearson.com/c...2021_FINAL.pdf

WJEC https://www.eduqas.co.uk/media/hq5df...l-24-06-21.pdf

-All subjects will be assessed by exam except for art & design which will be assessed by a task set and marked by the exam board.

- The exams will be in their usual format (as in a normal academic year) and you will sit as many as your course would normally require. The exams will cover the whole syllabus.

- Normal systems for marking, reviewing marking and appeals will be as in a normal school year. No classwork or teacher assessment will be used in determining your final grade.

- Results will come out in December. If you need to apply before December, you must list your summer grade on UCAS, and list your resit as pending.

-Last year, some unis allowed people to hold their firm offer as a “conditional deferred” place, based on autumn resits. Discuss your situation with your uni and see if they will hold your place.

-Last year, most unis were happy for people to “mix and match” resits in autumn and summer 2021. If you are unsure, discuss your situation with your uni before applying and check they will be happy with your plan to resit exams.

And, some motivation:

50% of those who resat last autumn improved their grades: https://ofqual.blog.gov.uk/2020/12/17/as-and-a-level-results-in-the-autumn-series/

Deferred Places:

There is no official UCAS scheme for Conditional Deferred places this year, as there was last year. However, some unis are doing this, outside of the UCAS scheme. Liverpool is one that seems to be offering a lot of deferred places.

It is definitely worth contacting your uni and asking if they will offer you a conditional deferral. For Med School (etc) this would mean you would not have to redo your UCAT or interviews.

Please feel free to introduce yourself in the thread:

Username:
Current Grades:
Subjects Resitting:
Grades you're hoping for:
Any uni offers:
(edited 2 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Great info thanks - following! :biggrin:
Hiya!
I have AAB with the B in chem and and A in maths but I really wanted an A* in both so I'm thinking of resitting both subjects.
I hope I get A*A*A because I was predicted all A*s but my school did me dirty so :/
Also I do OCR chem and the grade boundaries are crazy high so idk if I should risk it
I currently hold an offer for Computer Science (Software Engineering) at RHUL which I'm happy about, so idk if I should resit
Original post by trusfratedblink
Hiya!
I have AAB with the B in chem and and A in maths but I really wanted an A* in both so I'm thinking of resitting both subjects.
I hope I get A*A*A because I was predicted all A*s but my school did me dirty so :/
Also I do OCR chem and the grade boundaries are crazy high so idk if I should risk it
I currently hold an offer for Computer Science (Software Engineering) at RHUL which I'm happy about, so idk if I should resit

If you intend to take up your place, I wouldn't bother resitting. It's too much to do on top of starting a uni course.

If you really think your school have treated you badly, the option exists to appeal!
Hello, my current grades are A*AB and I plan to resit Biology, hoping to receive at least an A though an A* would be ideal. I currently hold no offers and was planning for a gap year anyways.
I'm not sure if you remember my situation from the other thread but to summarise, I plan to sit Biology in autumn, send my UCAS application off with the A* and A achieved and my previous predicted grade of an A* in Biology. Will I be able to apply to all unis this year (like I did last year) and the only difference is that I have 2 achieved grades and 1 pending? So if I get any offers, the main requirement would be I get an A/A* in Biology? @SarcAndSpark Thanks so much in advance!
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by WTSBLG
Hello, my current grades are A*AB and I plan to resit Biology, hoping to receive at least an A though an A* would be ideal. I currently hold no offers and was planning for a gap year anyways.
I'm not sure if you remember my situation from the other thread but to summarise, I plan to sit Biology in autumn, send my UCAS application off with the A* and A achieved and my previous predicted grade of an A* in Biology. Will I be able to apply to all unis this year (like I did last year) and the only difference is that I have 2 achieved grades and 1 pending? So if I get any offers, the main requirement would be I get an A/A* in Biology? @SarcAndSpark Thanks so much in advance!

When you say all unis, do you think there are med schools you would not meet the requirements for?

I do think you'd need to be a bit tactical in your applications, but ALL med schools should except autumn resits as a first sitting.
Original post by SarcAndSpark
When you say all unis, do you think there are med schools you would not meet the requirements for?

I do think you'd need to be a bit tactical in your applications, but ALL med schools should except autumn resits as a first sitting.

Ah sorry! I mean all the unis I DO meet the requirements for, for example meeting the UCAT/BMAT cut offs etc. So when I apply, will I be able to apply to the unis I meet the requirements for like I did this year?
Original post by WTSBLG
Ah sorry! I mean all the unis I DO meet the requirements for, for example meeting the UCAT/BMAT cut offs etc. So when I apply, will I be able to apply to the unis I meet the requirements for like I did this year?

Yes, you will.

Of course, as you know, that doesn't mean you will definitely get a place.
Yes, you will.

Of course, as you know, that doesn't mean you will definitely get a place.

Yes of course! If I do get an offer (after interviews), would it most likely be on the basis that I get an A/A* in Biology since I already have the A* and A in Maths and Chemistry respectively? Sorry for so many questions!
Original post by WTSBLG
Yes of course! If I do get an offer (after interviews), would it most likely be on the basis that I get an A/A* in Biology since I already have the A* and A in Maths and Chemistry respectively? Sorry for so many questions!

I think most med schools give out offers in about February, don't they? Sorry if I've got the timescales wrong?

So you would have your biology result by then, and you'd get an unconditional offer (or conditional on DBS etc).

I want to say last year some people had their resit grades before interview, but I may be confusing medicine and Oxbridge!
I think most med schools give out offers in about February, don't they? Sorry if I've got the timescales wrong?

So you would have your biology result by then, and you'd get an unconditional offer (or conditional on DBS etc).

I want to say last year some people had their resit grades before interview, but I may be confusing medicine and Oxbridge!

Yes, offers around February. That makes a lot of sense, thank you so much! I believe that Oxbridge always interview really early but if I get my result by December (I'm not too certain on when but I think it's around that time?) then I should have my results before any interviews that I may have which is quite scary..
Original post by WTSBLG
Yes, offers around February. That makes a lot of sense, thank you so much! I believe that Oxbridge always interview really early but if I get my result by December (I'm not too certain on when but I think it's around that time?) then I should have my results before any interviews that I may have which is quite scary..

Results were in early-mid December this year. Results before interviews could put you in a strong position going into them.
(edited 2 years ago)
Username: James Current Grades: EDC (Physics, Chemistry and Maths)Subjects Resitting: All of them Grades you're hoping for: ABBAny uni offers: none is it possible to get ABB after resitting? My predicated grades were ABC
Original post by lostin123
Username: James Current Grades: EDC (Physics, Chemistry and Maths)Subjects Resitting: All of them Grades you're hoping for: ABBAny uni offers: none is it possible to get ABB after resitting? My predicated grades were ABC

You can get any grade that's available on the exam after resitting. This summer's grades won't have an impact.

You will probably need to work hard to get ABB, but it is possible.
Results were in early-mid December this year. Results before interviews could put you in a strong position going into them.

Ah I see, thank you again for your help! :biggrin:
Original post by WTSBLG
Ah I see, thank you again for your help! :biggrin:

Good luck!
Hi,
Grades A*, A*C
Re sitting physics
A*A*A*/A
Insurance rn: uni of Southampton(EEE)
I am not happy at all,I don't know if I should consider my insurance
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 17
Hi! Im rose. My current grades are BBC in bio (B), maths (b) and chem (c) I think I would like to resit all of them I was an A*student but just got really ill during the period of my exams and the school wasn't helpful at all. I am indecisive abt resitting them all in autumn. I was thinking doing maths and chem for October and leaving bio till next summer. Any opinions on that? Could I do three or would it be a lot especially that we only have 6 weeks. I havent got any offers. I was hoping to go into medicine but now im a bit skeptical. Overall, very unsure abt everything :/
Original post by Faith&hardwork
Hi,
Grades A*, A*C
Re sitting physics
A*A*A*/A
Insurance rn: uni of Southampton(EEE)
I am not happy at all,I don't know if I should consider my insurance

What was your firm? If you're not happy with Southampton, then it's not a good idea to go there, but do take a few days to decide!

Original post by r.rosex
Hi! Im rose. My current grades are BBC in bio (B), maths (b) and chem (c) I think I would like to resit all of them I was an A*student but just got really ill during the period of my exams and the school wasn't helpful at all. I am indecisive abt resitting them all in autumn. I was thinking doing maths and chem for October and leaving bio till next summer. Any opinions on that? Could I do three or would it be a lot especially that we only have 6 weeks. I havent got any offers. I was hoping to go into medicine but now im a bit skeptical. Overall, very unsure abt everything :/

If you were ill during exams, and your school did not make allowances, then you may have grounds to appeal your results.

Med schools MAY want all exams taken in one sitting- you will need to discuss this with each medical school individually.
Reply 19
What was your firm? If you're not happy with Southampton, then it's not a good idea to go there, but do take a few days to decide!

If you were ill during exams, and your school did not make allowances, then you may have grounds to appeal your results.

Med schools MAY want all exams taken in one sitting- you will need to discuss this with each medical school individually.

Unfortunately, my school said they didn't accept long term illness, I suffered a lot with my mental health, so I don't know if I have grounds to appeal. And thank you!!

Latest