A level biology Aqa

Watch this thread
anon25x
Badges: 12
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
Does anyone who got A’s in their bio ,chem and psychology a levels on the aqa exam board have any tips for revision x

username5432344
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 9 months ago
Hello I presume fellow Yr12 / new Yr13! I do AQA Bio and Chem and my summer predicted grades for these were AA so hopefully I can help! This has been my strategy for my mocks and I'm going to carry it forward into Yr13 because it's really helped me:

1. If you use them, make your flashcards ASAP - preferably as you're being taught the lessons and definitely before any mini tests. This really helped when it came to my mocks because I didn't have as much to make and had more time to learn the content.

2. Start revising well in advance. For example, I was told we would be having mocks about 8 weeks beforehand, and started revising pretty much straight away. It was just an hour a night at first, and then I gradually increased it as it got closer to the mock dates. This really helped as it meant I wasn't as stressed because I knew I'd put a lot of work in.

3. Balance out your revision strategies and test often. After a few sessions learning the content (however works best for you), it's really important to do practice questions, both timed and not. Marking these and then focusing on what you weren't as strong at really helps in terms of strengthening your knowledge. You can also look at your targets from in-class tests as well. For example, in my previous Chem tests I really struggled with shapes of molecules, so I made sure to focus my revision on this and ended up getting that question right in my mock.

4. So. Much. Revision. Seriously, it sucks but it's helpful. Prior to my mocks I did very little but revise, except for my breaks (which are important!) I'll be honest, there were plenty of times I didn't want to do it, but I (most of the time) pushed through. Even if it's just 15 mins or half an hour, it's still progress. I've not been as strict over the summer cause hey, it's the holidays, but try and do a bit every day.

5. Make a plan and stick to it. Before Yr13, make a revision plan setting out what topics you're going to focus on each day. I'm planning to do this as soon as I get my timetable and I'm thinking of giving myself 1-2hrs homework time (might change depending on the homework level) and 2hrs revision a night. Obviously this might not be achievable in all cases (I'm distance learning so don't have to worry about travel etc and have no extracurricular clubs or anything) but it's important to set yourself a schedule of what you need to do when to stay on top of everything.

I really hope this helps, and good luck with your exams!
anon25x
Rep:
(Original post by Ethan512)
Hello I presume fellow Yr12 / new Yr13! I do AQA Bio and Chem and my summer predicted grades for these were AA so hopefully I can help! This has been my strategy for my mocks and I'm going to carry it forward into Yr13 because it's really helped me:

1. If you use them, make your flashcards ASAP - preferably as you're being taught the lessons and definitely before any mini tests. This really helped when it came to my mocks because I didn't have as much to make and had more time to learn the content.

2. Start revising well in advance. For example, I was told we would be having mocks about 8 weeks beforehand, and started revising pretty much straight away. It was just an hour a night at first, and then I gradually increased it as it got closer to the mock dates. This really helped as it meant I wasn't as stressed because I knew I'd put a lot of work in.

3. Balance out your revision strategies and test often. After a few sessions learning the content (however works best for you), it's really important to do practice questions, both timed and not. Marking these and then focusing on what you weren't as strong at really helps in terms of strengthening your knowledge. You can also look at your targets from in-class tests as well. For example, in my previous Chem tests I really struggled with shapes of molecules, so I made sure to focus my revision on this and ended up getting that question right in my mock.

4. So. Much. Revision. Seriously, it sucks but it's helpful. Prior to my mocks I did very little but revise, except for my breaks (which are important!) I'll be honest, there were plenty of times I didn't want to do it, but I (most of the time) pushed through. Even if it's just 15 mins or half an hour, it's still progress. I've not been as strict over the summer cause hey, it's the holidays, but try and do a bit every day.

5. Make a plan and stick to it. Before Yr13, make a revision plan setting out what topics you're going to focus on each day. I'm planning to do this as soon as I get my timetable and I'm thinking of giving myself 1-2hrs homework time (might change depending on the homework level) and 2hrs revision a night. Obviously this might not be achievable in all cases (I'm distance learning so don't have to worry about travel etc and have no extracurricular clubs or anything) but it's important to set yourself a schedule of what you need to do when to stay on top of everything.

This is so helpful thank you
anon25x
Rep:
(Original post by Ethan512)

When did you start properly revising for year 13 please ?and how many hours do you usually do a day
username5432344
Rep:
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by anon25x)
When did you start properly revising for year 13 please ?and how many hours do you usually do a day
I've already started revising my Year 12 content over the summer and since its the holidays I'm only doing an hour or so per subject a day (which for me is 4hrs as I do 4 subjects). Within that time I'm also looking at some of the Year 13 content - I have an app called Adapt that automatically generates a revision timetable based on your subject, exam board and how many topics you want to study a day - so I can get a head start on understanding it. When school starts I'm planning to do 2 hours of revision a night, though it will depend on how much homework I get, and then do 4-8 hours on the weekend. My plan for Yr13 is to start revising straightaway so that the revision doesn't build up and I can quickly address anything I'm struggling with and get help from my teachers if necessary.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Psychology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (219)
42.44%
The paper was reasonable (221)
42.83%
Not feeling great about that exam... (48)
9.3%
It was TERRIBLE (28)
5.43%

Watched Threads