Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I was so mad at a discussion that started in the pub today about the right (or wrong) of a person defending their family/home from intruders. The use of "reasonable force" is just not reasonable!
    Surely the only way to evaluate what reasonable force should have been for a specific situation, is only possible after the event when weighing up all the factors and certainly not at the time when your adrenalin level is at 30,000 feet and rising.
    What's your view?
    Sandi

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sandman)
    I was so mad at a discussion that started in the pub today about the right (or wrong) of a person defending their family/home from intruders. The use of "reasonable force" is just not reasonable!
    Surely the only way to evaluate what reasonable force should have been for a specific situation, is only possible after the event when weighing up all the factors and certainly not at the time when your adrenalin level is at 30,000 feet and rising.
    What's your view?
    Sandi
    i believe if an intruder enters your home you should be allowed to exterminate them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by technik)
    i believe if an intruder enters your home you should be allowed to exterminate them.
    I agree, there is no reason for someone to enter your house unlawfully, therefore the should face the consequences, whatever they may be.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sandman)
    What's your view?
    Sandi
    If someone came into my house i would be inclined to do something very very violent.

ReputationRep:
    if an intruder enters your home without your permission, you should be able to disbale them, but not place their life in danger. I also believe that as soon as a person breaks into another's property they forgo any rights they might have to sue.

ReputationRep:
    That's a bit extreme isn't it? Though I personally am not too sure where I stand in this...

Thinking about it I'd probably agree that you have a right to use force on an intruder but I know I'd probably act completely different (I often think about things in one way but act in another... :rolleyes: )

ReputationRep:
    If someone chooses to break the law, they also choose to give up the protection offered by the law and thus homeowners should be allowed to do whatever they want to intruders. Besides, there is no way the current law can work because everyone has a different idea of what 'reasonable' force is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Natalie Lane)
    That's a bit extreme isn't it? Though I personally am not too sure where I stand in this...

Thinking about it I'd probably agree that you have a right to use force on an intruder but I know I'd probably act completely different (I often think about things in one way but act in another... :rolleyes: )
    i dont think so. by committing such a crime they should forfeit any rights, human or legal. they are clearly scum anyway if they break into peoples home. quicker they are put in a box the better.

ReputationRep:
    You should b able to use enough force as to protect ur family and home! However much that may have to b.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Daveo)
    I agree, there is no reason for someone to enter your house unlawfully, therefore the should face the consequences, whatever they may be.
    So you would support the use of lethal force on an intruder?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NikNak)
    i bet you wouldnt. am i right?

ReputationRep:
    If the circumstances required it, yes, 100%

ReputationRep:
    If you are allowed to do whatever you want to someone in your house then some people will think this = you are allowed to kill them or something. Then you are rejecting the current system we have in place which is what is supposed to be so great about our civilised democracy.

ReputationRep:
    i dont think so. by committing such a crime they should forfeit any rights, human or legal. they are clearly scum anyway if they break into peoples home. quicker they are put in a box the better.
    I'm not opposed to it but I think that if there are any other alternatives... People should go as far as necessary, if that means killing the intruder than so be it but if there's a way you can do anything else than I'd condemn someone who chose the most extreme option

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Daveo)
    If the circumstances required it, yes, 100%
    Ah so in actual fact you only support it if your own life was about to be taken and it was self defence? If so, I agree with that.

ReputationRep:
    Ah so in actual fact you only support it if your own life was about to be taken and it was self defence? If so, I agree with that.
    Well that would be proportional force, instead of the intruder retreating and you smashing him in the head with a bottle.

ReputationRep:
    If my life or my family's life were at immediate risk then yes.

ReputationRep:
    How can you be so lacking in humanity? Two wrongs don't make a right... Entering someone's house doesn't deserve death as a punishment! (not that any crime does, of course).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kew96158)
    How can you be so lacking in humanity? Two wrongs don't make a right... Entering someone's house doesn't deserve death as a punishment! (not that any crime does, of course).
    last time i looked, humanity was hardly in vast supply anywhere.

you believe no crime is worthy of death. i believe a great many do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kew96158)
    While I personally would never sentence anyone to death I can see why some do seem worthy of it, think about it this way: if someone has been sentenced for life in jail that's a person who we don't want in our society, you wouldn't want them roaming the streets or sitting next to you in the bus and yet it still costs you tax money to keep them alive in jail (what with electricity, food and especially the security itself) so why use people's money to keep someone who has to be locked in a cage like an animal because he has been judged unworthy of living in our society?

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.