This discussion is closed.
Natalie Lane
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by technik)
guns are illegal basically.

you'd just have to kick him to death. i'd have no trouble doing that whatsoever.
fair enough...
Like I said before, I actually do agree with this when thinking about it but I know I'd act differently...
frost105
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
My line is that if you break into someones home then they shouldnt be allowed to sue for any damages that they may occur whilst commiting theor crime. i'm not condoning muder but if someone broke into my home then I would flip and want to take them out rather than the other way round.

It would be a hundred times worse if I had children in the house.
technik
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Natalie Lane)
fair enough...
Like I said before, I actually do agree with this when thinking about it but I know I'd act differently...
if it happened tonight my parents could probably shoot them though. they are allowed
technik
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by frost105)
My line is that if you break into someones home then they shouldnt be allowed to sue for any damages that they may occur whilst commiting theor crime. i'm not condoning muder but if someone broke into my home then I would flip and want to take them out rather than the other way round.

It would be a hundred times worse if I had children in the house.
i believe so...if you asked parents i doubt many would hesistate to kill to protect their family
Natalie Lane
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
if it happened tonight my parents could probably shoot them though. they are allowed
:confused:
what do you mean?
technik
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
:confused:
what do you mean?
they are armed
tkfmbp
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
not quite. im not the one out robbing people and scaring them in their homes.

i lead a perfectly normal existence and dont harm anyone...but if my family was under threat i wouldnt be debating the in's and out's of getting sued with the dirtbag in my front room with DVD recorder under arm...
its different levels of reasonable force when your our your families safety is involved. Its not the case that if the intruder has a gun to your wife's head you can't shoot him first.
Natalie Lane
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
they are armed
I think having a gun in the house is quite scary...

(Do they have a licence to have a gun though?)
technik
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by tkfmbp)
its different levels of reasonable force when your our your families safety is involved. Its not the case that if the intruder has a gun to your wife's head you can't shoot him first.
unfortunately it is...

currently in that scenario, if you shot first, you'd do that lovely jail term you referred to earlier, possibly not for murder but definately man slaughter and there goes your life after that too...
technik
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I think having a gun in the house is quite scary...

(Do they have a licence to have a gun though?)
as part of their job they are armed
Natalie Lane
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
as part of their job they are armed
seriously you need to work on your elaboration skills, *makes hand gestures* something like "My parents do this and that for a living so they are allowed to have guns, so if an intruder walked in tonight they could shoot him"...

That would help answer the flow of questions
(by the way, what do your parents do that allows them to have guns?)
technik
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
seriously you need to work on your elaboration skills, *makes hand gestures* something like "My parents do this and that for a living so they are allowed to have guns, so if an intruder walked in tonight they could shoot him"...

That would help answer the flow of questions
(by the way, what do your parents do that allows them to have guns?)
they are in the police
tkfmbp
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
they are in the police
nice one....but do they keep their guns at home ?
technik
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by tkfmbp)
nice one....but do they keep their guns at home ?
not all the time, but often.

ive been used to seeing them since i was a young child. it means little to me.
Natalie Lane
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
not all the time, but often.

ive been used to seeing them since i was a young child. it means little to me.
I'm sure you've seen all of the accidents that have happened when children play with their parents' guns in the news right?

(why do you always appear to be offline even when you're obviously not? didn't know you could choose an invisible status...)
technik
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I'm sure you've seen all of the accidents that have happened when children play with their parents' guns in the news right?

(why do you always appear to be offline even when you're obviously not? didn't know you could choose an invisible status...)
luckily i know whats right and whats wrong so i never touched them unless my parents made sure they were safe and were in the room. even then i just looked at them, didnt point or pull triggers or anything as they can still be loaded even if cartridges are removed.

yes im invisible. it allows me to lurk when i need to
Belle Noire
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Reminds me of this one episode of cops...

This guy taped the whole thing. As he walked into his house, all his stuff was broken on the floor, and when he got into the living room, there was this ugly, fat stranger laying on his couch completely naked! The homeowner handed off the camera to someone else just so he could beat up the naked guy! And the naked man woke up as his stomach was getting kicked in and started screaming like a little girl! It was the funniest thing! The naked guy turned out to be high on crack, and the police arrested him, while still naked.

The homeowner didn't get in any trouble, btw. In fact, the police were off-camera but were present while he was beating up the guy.
spicebrain
Report 14 years ago
I don't know where my views lie on this. I think that I'm of the two-wrongs-don't-make-a-right view. Saying that, if I knew that my family's lives were in danger than of course I'd advocate the use of force, but not lethal force. But then again, how can you possibly know how you'd act in such a situation? It's a complex issue. But the loss of life should be avoided whenever possible.
Sam2k
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Sandman)
I was so mad at a discussion that started in the pub today about the right (or wrong) of a person defending their family/home from intruders. The use of "reasonable force" is just not reasonable!
Surely the only way to evaluate what reasonable force should have been for a specific situation, is only possible after the event when weighing up all the factors and certainly not at the time when your adrenalin level is at 30,000 feet and rising.
What's your view?
Sandi
Anything that you must do to protect your house and home is reasonable force. If you have to kill the intruder to save your family then I pray that you don't lose any sleep over it.
LH
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Did anyone hear about the time somone heard a burglar come into their home, lay in wait for him, captured him, put him in a pit and then set the burglar on fire?

Nice poetic justice, I think.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think the internet has made political discussion more aggressive?

Yes (55)
98.21%
No (1)
1.79%

Watched Threads