The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
technik
i believe if an intruder enters your home you should be allowed to exterminate them.

Only after a prolonged period of torture.
Reply 61
well... depends on the circumstances... if they point a gun at you... whats your first instinct.... err.... get the gun off them... u cant really think of whats reasonable or not.. the first priority is to live to tell the tale... (First instincts are often right!)

however... this does not mean u can get your air rifle and beat the **** out of them... cause if you have you air rifle in hand... you are intending to kill them... thats attempted murder... (btw... if someone points a gun at you... you don't reach for the rifle... or you might get shot... so the only case is that you are prepared to meet them with the rifle).....

I mean if they have point their gun/knife... or any object at you you should have the right to disarm them in any means except gunning them down..
Reply 62
The whole point is "reasonable force"

If someone is going to kill/hurt you...you should be allowed to defend yourself...be it with a gun/bat/shoe ....

However, if they are stealing...but have no intent to assualt, then all kinds of "criminal intent " issues creep in.

So unless your life is in real danger...IE the criminal just entered your room with a weapon....usually "reasonable defense" can't be used....this is even true in the US where anyone can legally own a gun.....so gun ownership doesn't have anything to do with it per se.
Reply 63
djchak
The whole point is "reasonable force"

If someone is going to kill/hurt you...you should be allowed to defend yourself...be it with a gun/bat/shoe ....

However, if they are stealing...but have no intent to assualt, then all kinds of "criminal intent " issues creep in.

So unless your life is in real danger...IE the criminal just entered your room with a weapon....usually "reasonable defense" can't be used....this is even true in the US where anyone can legally own a gun.....so gun ownership doesn't have anything to do with it per se.

today el tony and his cronies have seemingly revised the law or at least the interpretation.

you can kill in your own home if you feel you have to.

well done i say.
Reply 64
technik

So can I kill my boyfriend if he doesnt bring me my cup of tea soon?

Prays to god she can.....hormones raging..... :biggrin:
Reply 65
technik
today el tony and his cronies have seemingly revised the law or at least the interpretation.

well done i say.

That's truly despicable.
Reply 66
kew96158
That's truly despicable.

i know, burglars are completely despicable scum
Reply 67
technik
i know, burglars are completely despicable scum

You know perfectly well I wasn't referring to the burglar... Not that I think burglary is good, of course - but it's not as bad a murder.
Reply 68
kew96158
You know perfectly well I wasn't referring to the burglar... Not that I think burglary is good, of course - but it's not as bad a murder.

i think most would say "f*** them, they deserve everything they get"
Reply 69
technik
reasonable reasonable reasonable...its all we hear.

its undefined and useless. you cant do JACK against someone in your home incase they cry and sue your ass and probably win because the legal system is a disgrace.

they should be killed and their families charged the carpet cleaning bills afterwards. simple as that. no one should have time for SCUM.

Damn Straight!! If someone considers my property befitting for them to steal then I consider their rights/life/ability to walk without a limp mine to take from them. Simple as.

You can't tolerate these people because it is this tolerence that has lead them to believe that they are capable to getting away with say crime.
Reply 70
I can't believe you actually think murder is a good thing, rather than the dreadful crime it is. Two wrongs don't make a right. Killing someone just because they break into your house is WAY out of proportion, in any case.
Reply 71
kew96158
I can't believe you actually think murder is a good thing, rather than the dreadful crime it is. Two wrongs don't make a right. Killing someone just because they break into your house is WAY out of proportion, in any case.

Yeah cause most people are standing at the door thinking right your dead!
Th law is stateing that a person can defend themselves and their homes up to that insident without being sued or prosecuted. i think its the best think Tony Blair has sone in ages. hopefully it'll deter burglers in the future.
Reply 72
kew96158

No it's not. Jesus Christ, here comes my explaination.

It's not the principle of 'eye for and eye, tooth for a tooth' here, we're talking about the fact that people seem to think it's fair to commit crimes against you and in the case where they're caused harm that THEY have the right to sue you for damages!!!

THAT IS WRONG. In my eyes worse than retaliation against an intruder resulting in their death.

e.g. a man was breaking and entering on a property when he fell through her roof, he was able to take her to court (and won!) because he suffered injuries. In my opinion that man has no more right to life than a cockroach.
Reply 73
kew96158

some people just need sorted out.
bratcat
In law, I believe perception is what counts. If you can persuade a jury that you perceived your life was in danger then you may 'get away' with using lethal force. (It has happened).

Spot on

Which is why cases like this: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/manchester/3524350.stm don't end up in court. :smile:
Reply 75
technik
they are in the police

So your parents are part of the PSNI - that explains so much of your attitudes and apparent bigotry! :biggrin:
Reply 76
yawn
So your parents are part of the PSNI - that explains so much of your attitudes and apparent bigotry! :biggrin:

Lets hope thats a joke.
Reply 77
frost105
Lets hope thats a joke.

It's as much a joke as the smilies that technik puts on his posts to me.

I didn't know that you and he were one and the same?
Reply 78
yawn
It's as much a joke as the smilies that technik puts on his posts to me.

I didn't know that you and he were one and the same?

We're not and there are lots of things I disagree with that technik says but my father is also a police officer and has a lot of links with the Northern Ireland forces at present so I'll defend te police force to the bitter end.
Reply 79
Interesting scenario.

A burglar breaks into the home of a police officer who has a gun (for use in his/her job within strictly defined situations). The gun is used to kill the intruder - what action, if any, will be taken against the person for improper use of the gun - after all, it's not available for their own use when they are not on duty in a situation that requires a gun?

Or do we have to wait for the green paper detailing the statutory laws therein?

Latest

Trending

Trending