The Student Room Group

Which route would you recommend?

Hey all,

So after looking at my options (I dropped out of A levels due to mental health issues, I'm now 24 and I want to pursue medicine) I have three options:

1) Apply for the Liverpool Year 0 course (I have clinical experience through volunteering already to help with this application)

2) Do an access to medicine courses and then apply for medicine in the UK.

3) I have the option to apply and study medicine at Sofia Medical University, Trakia MU or Southern Ukrainian National Pedagogical University as my current qualifications would enable me to do so.

4) I could possibly re-do A levels for 2 years and then apply for medicine, although I'm not sure if this is a viable route. (I never took A2 so would this be considered a retake?)

Thanks in advance!🙏
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 1
I checked the options you presented and I think that Liverpool Year 0 or pursuing studies in Bulgaria might be a good option. That way you can start as soon as possible. Taking A levels might take a lot of time. Depending on how many you want to take, it will take a year or more. However, if you go with Liverpool 0 or Bulgaria, you have a narrow choice of programs which can be both positive and negative although I saw online that Sofia Medical University is one of the best universities for medicine in Bulgaria. Maybe you can compare the pros and cons of those two as well as whether you want to be in UK or in Bulgaria as those are the most immediate options.
On the other hand, with access to medicine courses you have more options in the UK and this student room chatboard might help:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2537183
Original post by CompMed
Hey all,

So after looking at my options (I dropped out of A levels due to mental health issues, I'm now 24 and I want to pursue medicine) I have three options:

1) Apply for the Liverpool Year 0 course (I have clinical experience through volunteering already to help with this application)

2) Do an access to medicine courses and then apply for medicine in the UK.

3) I have the option to apply and study medicine at Sofia Medical University, Trakia MU or Southern Ukrainian National Pedagogical University as my current qualifications would enable me to do so.

4) I could possibly re-do A levels for 2 years and then apply for medicine, although I'm not sure if this is a viable route. (I never took A2 so would this be considered a retake?)

Thanks in advance!🙏

but how can u do medicine without A-levels, i thought it was a must. What sort of experience do you have?
Reply 3
Original post by Octavian1
but how can u do medicine without A-levels, i thought it was a must. What sort of experience do you have?

I have an offer to study medicine with 4 GCSEs and only an access diploma - it’s possible!
Original post by h0llyl0u
I have an offer to study medicine with 4 GCSEs and only an access diploma - it’s possible!

wow!, tell me whats ur story.
Reply 5

All the options to do so I've mentioned above, you also have some GEM courses.
Reply 6

I managed to get onto a course associated with a university where, upon finishing it, you would be guaranteed an interview two years in a row (or an offer if no interview is required for other courses).

There’s a lot of research involved when having so few GCSEs and no A levels, but it’s definitely worth it!
Reply 7
Original post by h0llyl0u
I managed to get onto a course associated with a university where, upon finishing it, you would be guaranteed an interview two years in a row (or an offer if no interview is required for other courses).

There’s a lot of research involved when having so few GCSEs and no A levels, but it’s definitely worth it!

Which course was that? It sounds similar to Liverpool but Liverpool gives you guaranteed entry...
Reply 8
Original post by Mojaloss
I checked the options you presented and I think that Liverpool Year 0 or pursuing studies in Bulgaria might be a good option. That way you can start as soon as possible. Taking A levels might take a lot of time. Depending on how many you want to take, it will take a year or more. However, if you go with Liverpool 0 or Bulgaria, you have a narrow choice of programs which can be both positive and negative although I saw online that Sofia Medical University is one of the best universities for medicine in Bulgaria. Maybe you can compare the pros and cons of those two as well as whether you want to be in UK or in Bulgaria as those are the most immediate options.
On the other hand, with access to medicine courses you have more options in the UK and this student room chatboard might help:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2537183

Thanks for this, I am currently thinking of applying to Liverpool Year 0 as my first option, if I am not successfull, then look at studying in Sofia. I would like to stay in the UK idealy, but I am not sure how confident I am with an access course getting me into medicine... I did have a read through that link and it does defintely seem possible though!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending