The Student Room Group

Deciding between uni and course?

Hi all, I’m a mature student, I was a near mis candidate, so firm choice of biomedical genetics was declined unfortunately, I was set on attending this university as I felt/it does have more accreditation in the sense of research (Russel group) than my insurance uni choice for biochemistry, I’m now considering switching course choice all together for a chemistry at firm choice university, as I thought it would give me a good foundation to come back to biological studies but I think I’ll miss biology too much to keep me motivated, should I stick to my insurance choice as I could be thinking irrationally into changing courses although I don’t mind chemistry, or consider a year out how do I decide? Does the university matter or is it the course? Which would be the best for me to follow research into genetics? thankyou for reading ☺️
(edited 2 years ago)
I would say the course matters - if you went to Oxford for Geography but were applying for a job as a Historian, it wouldn't exactly help :rofl:
Original post by Peanuts14
Hi all, I’m a mature student, I was a near mis candidate, so firm choice of biomedical genetics was declined unfortunately, I was set on attending this university as I felt/it does have more accreditation in the sense of research (Russel group) than my insurance uni choice for biochemistry, I’m now considering switching course choice all together for a chemistry at firm choice university, as I thought it would give me a good foundation to come back to biological studies but I think I’ll miss biology too much to keep me motivated, should I stick to my insurance choice as I could be thinking irrationally into changing courses although I don’t mind chemistry, or consider a year out how do I decide? Does the university matter or is it the course? Which would be the best for me to follow research into genetics? thankyou for reading ☺️

The course is what matters. That is what you are going to be studying for 3 years. The name of a university wont help you if you dont enjoy the course.
Reply 3
The course matters and bio / genetics is pretty specific. What grades do you have? Any universities in clearing which might work for you?
The course definitely matters a lot more than the uni
Definitely the course, these days the value of the degree is decreasing and therefore you really need specific degrees to get into the specific careers
Reply 6
You are all right, today has been long and stressful 😔 I think I’ll stick to biochemistry, I’m limited in my options as these are the only two unis in my area and I can not move elsewhere, I have 39 distinctions and 6 merits, I didn’t really have a set plan on employment but more of the fact of studying something that interests me, I think I’m just being irrational and thanks all for your response

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending