The Student Room Group
Student in halls, University of Hull
University of Hull
Kingston-upon-Hull
Visit website

is Hull universities Westminster placement good? (law and legislative studies)

I'm applying to Hull through clearing and something about Law and Legislative studies caught my eye, since I'm more interested about the implications of law and the skills one gains in the studying of it. Problem solving, advanced understanding of government, research, argument presentation ect. So when I saw the opportunity to study a law degree where one entire year is devoted to a practical understanding of the law in government I was blown away.

My only worry is that I'm not seeing many alumni online speaking about their experiences openly on any forums, I'm not seeing discussion, critique or criticism. Nor any in depth positive accounts of the experience.

Its making me worried It may just be too good to be true.

Any prospective students share this issue? could anyone assuage my doubts?
Original post by corona-cat
I'm applying to Hull through clearing and something about Law and Legislative studies caught my eye, since I'm more interested about the implications of law and the skills one gains in the studying of it. Problem solving, advanced understanding of government, research, argument presentation ect. So when I saw the opportunity to study a law degree where one entire year is devoted to a practical understanding of the law in government I was blown away.

My only worry is that I'm not seeing many alumni online speaking about their experiences openly on any forums, I'm not seeing discussion, critique or criticism. Nor any in depth positive accounts of the experience.

Its making me worried It may just be too good to be true.

Any prospective students share this issue? could anyone assuage my doubts?

Hello @corona-cat

I'm so excited that you're looking into studying Law and Legislative studies at Hull. It really is a great course. We do have a student testimonial on our website https://www.hull.ac.uk/work-with-us/more/media-centre/news/2020/how-a-sandwich-year-at-the-university-of-hull-led-to-eden-barnes-walking-the-corridors-of-10-downing-street which gives a fantastic insight into the Westminster placement.
We do have some of our student ambassadors (@Uni of Hull Students) on this site so hopefully one of them will be along shortly with some more insight into a students prospective of life here at Hull.

Good luck and we look forward to welcoming you in Hull soon.

Tracy
Student in halls, University of Hull
University of Hull
Kingston-upon-Hull
Visit website
Reply 2
thanks for the response, the student testimony is good and all and i really appreciate reading it but it still only is one first hand account.

@Uni of Hull Students do you guys have anything to add?
Original post by corona-cat
thanks for the response, the student testimony is good and all and i really appreciate reading it but it still only is one first hand account.

@Uni of Hull Students do you guys have anything to add?

Hi corona-cat! Whilst I can't comment on the placement year in legislative studies, I have just complete my Law degree at Hull and (whilst I do currently have on my ambassadors hat on), I genuinely can't speak highly enough of the Law department and the lecturers within it, and judging from the responses to the end of module evaluation surveys I am not alone in rating them so highly. The thing that I was particularly impressed with was the amount of feedback opportunities provided for essay and problem question plans throughout each module, to flag any misunderstandings (although of course the correct answers aren't spoon-fed to you) and challenge you to elevate and expand your work even further. I think this in particular has done wonders for my research and academic writing skills and it has shown in my grade trajectory over the three years.

You can also contact Anotidaishe on his experiences on the Ask a Student portal (https://www.hull.ac.uk/study/ask-a-student) for his perspective on the course too and, of course, let me know if there is anything else more specific you want to know about.
Lizzy, Student ambassador

Quick Reply

Latest