Hallyh1
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
I just needed advise on the route to teaching,i have a ba hons degree in fashion and textiles and want to teach fashion and textiles or anything equivlent to it but dont have maths gcse can i still apply to courses without this requirement or is there any other equivlent route
holly_1994
Badges: 14
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by Hallyh1)
I just needed advise on the route to teaching,i have a ba hons degree in fashion and textiles and want to teach fashion and textiles or anything equivlent to it but dont have maths gcse can i still apply to courses without this requirement or is there any other equivlent route
Hi,

I’m not 100% sure on this but know that maths GCSE was a requirement for me when I applied (I start training this Sep).

I know someone who didn’t have maths GCSE but was able to study for their maths while also doing their PGCE and this was at Edge Hill about 10 years ago. Maybe just call the universities you’re interested in and ask what you can do without your maths GCSE and see what they have to offer, because they must have lots of people in your situation I’m sure.
bluebeetle
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 5 months ago
Having a Maths GCSE or equivalent qualification is actually a requirement mandated by the government, so universities can't make exceptions. However, you do not necessarily have to sit the actual GCSE, just an equivalent qualification. You should contact universities and ask what equivalent qualifications they accept, as this may vary.

See the spoiler below for the full guidance.

Spoiler:
Show
C1.1 GCSE standard equivalent
All accredited ITT providers must ensure that all:

- entrants have achieved a standard equivalent to a grade 4 (see note 2) in the GCSE examinations in English and mathematics
- who intend to train to teach pupils aged 3 to 11 additionally have achieved a standard equivalent to a grade 4 in the GCSE examination in a science subject
The aim of this criterion is to ensure that entrants to ITT have demonstrated their achievement of a minimum standard of educational attainment. Primary trainees need also to demonstrate an acceptable level of subject knowledge in the core subjects of the national curriculum.

It is the standard, not the certificate, that matters. Applicants who are otherwise suitable but have not successfully achieved a GCSE grade 4 may be given an opportunity to show that they can meet the required standard either by taking an equivalence test or by offering other evidence of attainment, which should demonstrate a similar level and breadth. Providers should consider making similar arrangements for candidates who cannot provide original certificates as evidence.

DfE does not provide a list of qualifications that can be considered equivalent to the GCSE examinations in English, mathematics and science. When ITT partnerships look for evidence that a qualification is of a standard equivalent to GCSE grade 4, they should look at the content not only in terms of its level, but also in terms of its breadth.

Specific qualifications
Qualifications in key and functional skills at level 2 are not equivalent to GCSEs in terms of content. ITT partnerships should look for additional evidence of breadth of knowledge and understanding in applicants who have key and functional skills certificates but do not have GCSEs at grade 4 or above in English and mathematics.

Providers should look for further evidence of a breadth of achievement in English where applicants have achieved a GCSE grade 4 or above in English literature only.

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...porting-advice
Get into Teaching
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 5 months ago
Hello Hallyh1

You have two options in terms of 'subject' to teach. Either Art and Design or Design and Technology. The Art and Design curriculum has a focus on the history of Art and Design and the practical application of it, including the experimentation of different mediums, such as paint, pastels, sculpture, photography. Whereas Design and Technology has a focus on commercial design and manufacture and the applications of that. The design process remains the same in both areas, and for any material. (ie Brief, Research Artist or products/target markets, Initial design ideas, Idea development, Prototyping of the final idea and then a final piece or product) There is a big focus on analysis of the work of others and of self, which is where a lot of students really struggle.

Different schools structure the curriculum in different ways, and so if you are able to up-skill yourself in as many different material areas, you become more employable.

In regard to your Maths GCSE - you will need one or an acceptable (by the teacher training course provider you choose) equivalent.

I would recommend that you request support from a Get into Teaching advisor who will help you to identify providers who may accept a GCSE equivalent or help with finding a GCSE course to take. If you choose to do the latter, then you'll need to apply asap!

All the best, Jane
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you ever considered or are you currently considering an apprenticeship?

Yes, I am actively considering an apprenticeship (58)
12.53%
I am actively considering an alternative to uni that isn't an apprenticeship (8)
1.73%
I have considered an apprenticeship but it's not for me (122)
26.35%
I am considering a degree apprenticeship (43)
9.29%
I haven't considered an apprenticeship (217)
46.87%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (15)
3.24%

Watched Threads