The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Newcastle
Newcastle University
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Visit website

how much will I spend as a student in Newcastle

I am a intrnation student, but i havent been Newcastle yet. I would like to ask about how much the cost will i spend in a month in Newcastle, like accommodation fee, living fee and eating fee if i cook for myself.
And i heard that for the internaltional stundet can work 20 hours a week as a part-time workers. Normally how much will i get in 1 hour, and is it easy to find the part time job in Newcastle?
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Chyan
I am a intrnation student, but i havent been Newcastle yet. I would like to ask about how much the cost will i spend in a month in Newcastle, like accommodation fee, living fee and eating fee if i cook for myself.
And i heard that for the internaltional stundet can work 20 hours a week as a part-time workers. Normally how much will i get in 1 hour, and is it easy to find the part time job in Newcastle?

Hi,
Well it depends more on how you live your life. Accommodation is per person for a room is about £350-£500 depending on how basic or top-end you want to go. Spending will again massively depend on you, but food could be £30-£60 pppw. Transport is cheapish compared with the UK, and drinks are quite cheap. The work thing I think is true but I'm not sure, but minimum wage is over £8p/h now.

Really depends on how much you want to spend.
Good luck.
M.
Students on campus at the University of Newcastle
Newcastle University
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Visit website
Original post by Chyan

Hi Chyan,

It's great to know that you're potentially joining us in Newcastle :smile: We appreciate that cost of living and budgeting your finances before university is super important and these are very sensible questions. Because of this, we've actually created a dedicated webpage to help incoming students like yourself understand the various costs you may consider before university begins. You can find this webpage here. We also have a webpage which helps breakdown the various costs, including estimated accommodation fees, food, social activities and travel to name a few. This webpage is designed with EU and UK students in mind but it will still be relevant to help budget in Newcastle. You can find this webpage here.

Beyond the webpages above, why not speak to one of our current international students about this? You can chat online to our students via our Unibuddy platform and ask them anything about studying at Newcastle and living in our city. You can find our Unibuddy platform here. Please follow the link to be matched with students from various programmes, backgrounds and countries and ask them about their budgeting tips and advice.

In terms of part time work, our award winning Careers Service helps guide students into part-time work to help support their living expenses and budgeting. However, there are important things you must check as an international student before applying for part-time work. So, we've developed a handy webpage to help guide you through it. You can find this here. A great option to consider in terms of employment is the opportunities we provide on campus. There's a wide range of paid work opportunities available on campus each year such as being a Student Ambassador, helping out with on-campus events like Open Days or even temp work in facilities around the university with JobSoc. You can learn more about these roles here. Wages will fluctuate by role so it's best to research the role when applying to determine how much you will get paid. There are also opportunities beyond our campus and within Newcastle's bustling City Centre too. This can involve bar, restaurant, retail and event work. Opportunities for this can also be found via our Careers Service website here.

Hope this all helps! If you have any further questions, just ask :biggrin:
Laura

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending