The Student Room Group
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds

Deferral Entry Package

I applied for criminology at Leeds and been offered this. I have some questions about the accommodation being offered and how it may affect our maintenance loan. But other than that please feel free to drop any thoughts !
Original post by S19laras
I applied for criminology at Leeds and been offered this. I have some questions about the accommodation being offered and how it may affect our maintenance loan. But other than that please feel free to drop any thoughts !

It's important that you have all of the information before you make a decision - have they told you how long the offer is available for? I would personally get back in touch with the university to discuss all of the implications.

Have they told you why they are offering you this instead of taking you this year?

It would also be worth considering your other options as deferral is not for everyone, and will set you back a year. Really that comes down to whether you are happy with what Leeds has offered (and why they have offered it) or whether you want to go this year.
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
Reply 2
Original post by Charlotte's Web
It's important that you have all of the information before you make a decision - have they told you how long the offer is available for? I would personally get back in touch with the university to discuss all of the implications.

Have they told you why they are offering you this instead of taking you this year?

It would also be worth considering your other options as deferral is not for everyone, and will set you back a year. Really that comes down to whether you are happy with what Leeds has offered (and why they have offered it) or whether you want to go this year.

I don’t mind taking the gap year, to be honest I might even need to take the rest from education. They’ve offered me a £10,000 and free accommodation for my first year which is a really good offer and for why it’s because many people have been accepted this year so I guess they want to balance out the number of students attending the course (?)
I have sent emails to them asking more about this free accommodation they’re offering because I don’t want to settle for something bad but they haven’t replied yet.
I don’t mind taking the gap year, to be honest I might even need to take the rest from education. They’ve offered me a £10,000 and free accommodation for my first year which is a really good offer and for why it’s because many people have been accepted this year so I guess they want to balance out the number of students attending the course (?)
I have sent emails to them asking more about this free accommodation they’re offering because I don’t want to settle for something bad but they haven’t replied yet.

yes, I'd be interested in which accommodation they're offering. Would everyone be offered the basic, or would they be offered a set amount to be paid against whichever accommodation is allocated and the student to pay the balance.
As there is a vast price difference and they're hardly going to give the most expensive away for free, it wouldn't be so bad if you could pay the difference and be allocated accommodation alongside the 'regular' new students in 2022
Reply 4
I am hoping to study Law and have been offered the deferral package. I have also asked about the accommodation that will be "free" if I defer and also asked about what happens if I apply to defer and then am unsuccessful in obtaining the deferral package - will I have to defer anyway even though the only reason I am considering it is because of the package?

Apparently there is another email being sent out tomorrow to clarify this although my Welcome email should have arrived yesterday and it hasn't so I may have to email/call them again.
Reply 5
Original post by Yanbot7
I am hoping to study Law and have been offered the deferral package. I have also asked about the accommodation that will be "free" if I defer and also asked about what happens if I apply to defer and then am unsuccessful in obtaining the deferral package - will I have to defer anyway even though the only reason I am considering it is because of the package?

Apparently there is another email being sent out tomorrow to clarify this although my Welcome email should have arrived yesterday and it hasn't so I may have to email/call them again.

I’ve find out about the accommodation part of it but I still want to know about the package part - if I won’t receive the package because the places have ran out but would still have to defer
I’ve find out about the accommodation part of it but I still want to know about the package part - if I won’t receive the package because the places have ran out but would still have to defer

If you’re worried about if you apply, and don’t get it you’ll still have to defer, that won’t happen
Reply 7
Have heard from Leeds today, as has been said, if you apply to defer but are unsuccessful in obtaining the package you can still start in September. Leeds Uni will pay £6,500 towards accommodation so if the one you choose (and are allocated) is more expensive, you have to fund the difference and, as with all accommodation applications, your first choice is not guaranteed.

Still considering the package.....
Reply 8
Has anyone got a reply yet that they’ve got it?
(edited 2 years ago)
Yep I got mine yesterday

Quick Reply

Latest