The Student Room Group

Applying with achieves grades to Law?

Currently I have just finished year 12. In my AS mocks I have a gotten mixed grades. My subjects are split evenly between sciences and humanities, having achieved A and A* in geography and philosophy and C and D in biology and Chemistry. However, I believe I can get the grades up to study Law.

The decision to study law has only come recently as I was originally planning to study a health related career throughout year 12.

Therefore I have no relevant work experience/ little relevant extra curricular activities .

Would it be wise to take a gap year , get more work experience and wider reading whilst possibly preparing for the LNAT.

My only concern with this would be applying with achieved grades and possibly not having relevant references.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Original post by wduwdh
Currently I have just finished year 12. In my AS mocks I have a gotten mixed grades. My subjects are split evenly between sciences and humanities, having achieved A and A* in geography and philosophy and C and D in biology and Chemistry. However, I believe I can get the grades up to study Law.

The decision to study law has only come recently as I was originally planning to study a health related career throughout year 12.

Therefore I have no relevant work experience/ little relevant extra curricular activities .

Would it be wise to take a gap year , get more work experience and wider reading whilst possibly preparing for the LNAT.

My only concern with this would be applying with achieved grades and possibly not having relevant references.

HI wduwdh

Firstly, after such a difficult year with lockdowns and fear of the pandemic affecting everyone around you, congratulations for doing so well in your mocks!

Secondly, this is a reminder that these are your mocks and they do not count- only your actual results count towards your university application.

Thirdly, see your mocks as a learning experience for your actual exams and build on them- what was it that you did that led to you getting the A/A* grades, did you do the same for the other subject? If not, can you? (For example, some people spend more time on the subjects that they enjoy, when they need to spend equal time on all subjects). Now you know you need to spend a little more time on the lower graded subjects- do you know if it is all areas in each subject or where there elements that you found hard that you need to focus in on. Also, can you improve your study technique? Perhaps you learn better through colour coding rather than plain text, perhaps you remember graphics like charts better, or you need to make up songs to remember key points- think about how you can aid your memory when studying subjects that you find difficult.

Legal work experience is something that you can really focus on at university as more is open to you then but you might want to have a look at the Inns of Court (there is a thread on this forum already if you want to learn more) as they often have special events that you can get involved with. You can also watch webinars at different firms or chambers or even pop along to the public gallery at your local court to watch cases (if open)- it all counts as experience. Don't forget to think about other experiences that will develop skills seen as essential to law too- for example, team work (You can join Scouts or similar organisation as a youth leader) or problem solving (volunteering for a local charity) or dealing with difficult people (shop work).

A gap year is a great idea to have some time exploring life and your interests- it is not necessary if you don't want to do it. Once you start law, it is very busy so a gap year is a great way to demonstrate some alternative life experience before you start. Speak with the universities that you are interested in applying to, regarding your concern about references but I don't think a gap year will be detrimental.

I hope that helps! All the best of luck with your exams!

Nic
Student Ambassador at the University of Law
Original post by wduwdh

You don’t need to do work experience to get offers for Law degrees, just be able to demonstrate an interest in the subject, and have the grades of course plus some ask for the LNAT. I would drop the C or D subject and focus on getting 3 high A level grades next year.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending