Turn on thread page Beta

GM experiment watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I need to devise an experiment to determine whether all the leaves on a tomato plant would be able to produce the protein Bt toxin (an insecticide) if it was genetically modified to contain the Bt gene (without harming any insects!)

Any ideas?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jcd)
    I need to devise an experiment to determine whether all the leaves on a tomato plant would be able to produce the protein Bt toxin (an insecticide) if it was genetically modified to contain the Bt gene (without harming any insects!)

Any ideas?
    A Western Blot for the Bt protein. Or a Northern for the DNA.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry I've only ever heard of a southern blot, could you explain?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jcd)
    Sorry I've only ever heard of a southern blot, could you explain?
    you'll find it on google! But basically for a western, you run an SDS-PAGE gel, elctroblot it onto nitrocellulose paper and then hybridise it with antibody against the BT protein. You visualise using electrochemical luminescence - usually via horse radish peroxidase (an 'ELC kit'). You could also do an ELISA - another anitbody technique.

University open days

• University of the Arts London
    MA Performance Design and Practice Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 24 Jan '19
  • Brunel University London
    Undergraduate Experience Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Jan '19
  • SOAS University of London
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Sat, 26 Jan '19
Poll
Are you chained to your phone?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.