The Student Room Group

Appeals A Levels 2021 HELP

I got a grade back for one of my subjects to be given a C which is far from what I anticipated. I asked my school for my assessment results as this was used as evidence and was told that I was 1% away from the next grade which was a B. I’ve asked to have my papers remarked but my school keeps telling me I need to do an appeals process straight to the exam board so they can review the evidence and see if a C is justified grade which is not what I am appealing for I am appealing for a remark. Does anyone know what I can do about this because due to this I have missed out on my firm and have no university thanks

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Amyooa
I got a grade back for one of my subjects to be given a C which is far from what I anticipated. I asked my school for my assessment results as this was used as evidence and was told that I was 1% away from the next grade which was a B. I’ve asked to have my papers remarked but my school keeps telling me I need to do an appeals process straight to the exam board so they can review the evidence and see if a C is justified grade which is not what I am appealing for I am appealing for a remark. Does anyone know what I can do about this because due to this I have missed out on my firm and have no university thanks

Well, tbh idk what works for your school. But for us we have this form written which states the grade you recieved and your predicted grade. So along with that grade you wished for you have to provide them with evidence as to why you think you can achieve that grade. So if you have something like that go ahead fill it!!
Reply 2
Original post by scrk009
Well, tbh idk what works for your school. But for us we have this form written which states the grade you recieved and your predicted grade. So along with that grade you wished for you have to provide them with evidence as to why you think you can achieve that grade. So if you have something like that go ahead fill it!!

I don’t have exact proof I only have my mock grade which was a C and the formal assessments that I was one mark away from a B
Reply 3
we

Original post by Amyooa
I don’t have exact proof I only have my mock grade which was a C and the formal assessments that I was one mark away from a B

Well you could send them your previous grade and ask them to assess you in your overall mark. Cuz for us ik some kids who had a legit D in their mocks but ended up getting a C and idk they showed their previous evidences and got a B
Reply 4
Original post by scrk009
we

Well you could send them your previous grade and ask them to assess you in your overall mark. Cuz for us ik some kids who had a legit D in their mocks but ended up getting a C and idk they showed their previous evidences and got a B

Okay thank you so much
Original post by Amyooa

My previous reply was quite messy but to simplify it, your school set the assesments not the exam board so you need to talk to your school about that. If that does not work then you need to appeal your grade to the exam board and this has to be done through the school. As this is by 1%, I think you could get the grade you need but it depends on the evidence you presented to your school. You have 5 days to make this appeal as the deadline for priority appeals is the 16th of August. If you don't meet this deadline, you wont get your appeal until too late. Please contact your school as soon as possible to schedule an appeal. You could also try contacting Durham if they would let you in too if you want but I doubt it.
Reply 6
Original post by JustAnotherFloop
My previous reply was quite messy but to simplify it, your school set the assesments not the exam board so you need to talk to your school about that. If that does not work then you need to appeal your grade to the exam board and this has to be done through the school. As this is by 1%, I think you could get the grade you need but it depends on the evidence you presented to your school. You have 5 days to make this appeal as the deadline for priority appeals is the 16th of August. If you don't meet this deadline, you wont get your appeal until too late. Please contact your school as soon as possible to schedule an appeal. You could also try contacting Durham if they would let you in too if you want but I doubt it.

Thanks for your help once again. My school is not replying and I don’t know how I am therefore meant to complete a form.
Reply 7

Also what evidence would you recommend me presenting to the school for a strong case because I truly deserve the B!
Original post by Amyooa
Also what evidence would you recommend me presenting to the school for a strong case because I truly deserve the B!

The same evidence that the school used to make your final grade is the same evidence that is going to be sent to the exam board when you appeal, so there is nothing you can change. Did your school to take into account other factors such as homework, class work you did over lockdown and results from AS which can back you up? If you mostly got B's during AS and some of A2, in addition to the exam results I can't see a reason why you can't get at least a low B. There is hoenstly nothing you can do at this point but get that appeal and hope you go up a grade.
Original post by Amyooa
Thanks for your help once again. My school is not replying and I don’t know how I am therefore meant to complete a form.

Contact your exams officer via email/phone, you should be able to contact them as results just came out and they are going to expect people wanting to make appeals. Try tomorrow though as it's a bit late.
Reply 10
The same evidence that the school used to make your final grade is the same evidence that is going to be sent to the exam board when you appeal, so there is nothing you can change. Did your school to take into account other factors such as homework, class work you did over lockdown and results from AS which can back you up? If you mostly got B's during AS and some of A2, in addition to the exam results I can't see a reason why you can't get at least a low B. There is hoenstly nothing you can do at this point but get that appeal and hope you go up a grade.

No my school only used teacher assessment and mock.
Original post by Amyooa

Hi

There is a thread on appeals which may be useful to you here: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7062276

Your school MUST allow you to appeal.

I would imagine they will be open tomorrow for GCSE results, so I would actually go down in person and ask to speak to someone.

Do check all communications from your school though- they may have a specific exams email they need you to contact.
Reply 12
Original post by SarcAndSpark
Hi

There is a thread on appeals which may be useful to you here: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7062276

Your school MUST allow you to appeal.

I would imagine they will be open tomorrow for GCSE results, so I would actually go down in person and ask to speak to someone.

Do check all communications from your school though- they may have a specific exams email they need you to contact.

Hi, thank you for this. I will definitely be going in tomorrow the only problem is I don’t know what grounds I’m appealing on. Yes I got a C in this recent assessment but I was one mark of a B so surely it could be remarked?
Original post by Amyooa
Hi, thank you for this. I will definitely be going in tomorrow the only problem is I don’t know what grounds I’m appealing on. Yes I got a C in this recent assessment but I was one mark of a B so surely it could be remarked?

This is not grounds for appeal unfortunately. There's no mechanism to get assessments remarked. Your school will have had an internal moderation process- if they haven't followed it, that WOULD be grounds for appeal.

Read the OP of the thread I've linked, and see if you think any of the grounds for appeal would apply to you.

Ask for all of this:
The centre policy
The sources of evidence used to determine your grade and the grades given for this evidence
Details of variations in evidence based on disruption to teaching
Details of special circumstances that were considered including access arrangements and mitigating circumstances.

Once you've got that, you should be able to work out if you have any grounds for appeal.
Reply 14
This is not grounds for appeal unfortunately. There's no mechanism to get assessments remarked. Your school will have had an internal moderation process- if they haven't followed it, that WOULD be grounds for appeal.

Read the OP of the thread I've linked, and see if you think any of the grounds for appeal would apply to you.

Ask for all of this:
The centre policy
The sources of evidence used to determine your grade and the grades given for this evidence
Details of variations in evidence based on disruption to teaching
Details of special circumstances that were considered including access arrangements and mitigating circumstances.

Once you've got that, you should be able to work out if you have any grounds for appeal.

im not sure what grounds would appeal to me. I know I could get a B I was one mark of. My school only used my mock and assessment my assessment was averaged i was 1% from a B and my mock grade was a C. What do I appeal on im stuck
Original post by Amyooa
im not sure what grounds would appeal to me. I know I could get a B I was one mark of. My school only used my mock and assessment my assessment was averaged i was 1% from a B and my mock grade was a C. What do I appeal on im stuck

Do you know which assessments were averaged? If some were missed out, you could say the academic judgement in picking those assessments was flawed (assuming you have other, higher ones).

Otherwise, your only grounds is that the academic judgement of your school in marking those assessments and your mock were *unreasonable*. Can you remind me what subject this is for?

Honestly, based on what you have said, you unfortunately don't have strong grounds to appeal- as I say it's not like a normal year where you can get a remark if you are close to a boundary.

However, you have nothing to lose from sticking an appeal in, and hoping you get lucky.

If you NEED the B for your future plans, you are likely looking at an autumn resit.
Reply 16
Do you know which assessments were averaged? If some were missed out, you could say the academic judgement in picking those assessments was flawed (assuming you have other, higher ones).

Otherwise, your only grounds is that the academic judgement of your school in marking those assessments and your mock were *unreasonable*. Can you remind me what subject this is for?

Honestly, based on what you have said, you unfortunately don't have strong grounds to appeal- as I say it's not like a normal year where you can get a remark if you are close to a boundary.

However, you have nothing to lose from sticking an appeal in, and hoping you get lucky.

If you NEED the B for your future plans, you are likely looking at an autumn resit.

I sat 3 assessments all 3 of them were averaged along with my mock. The subject was for sociology. I can’t do another year as I am already a resit.
Original post by Amyooa
I sat 3 assessments all 3 of them were averaged along with my mock. The subject was for sociology. I can’t do another year as I am already a resit.

Sociology will be somewhat subjective in terms of marking, so you could appeal on the grounds of unreasonable academic judgement. Unfortunately, I have no idea what your chances of success will be. But that's the closest thing you can get to a remark this year.

You can do autumn exams for free and would not need to attend school. Alternatively, it may be best to look for a place in clearing if you've missed out on your uni offer? The place would still be reinstated if your appeal was successful.
Reply 18
Sociology will be somewhat subjective in terms of marking, so you could appeal on the grounds of unreasonable academic judgement. Unfortunately, I have no idea what your chances of success will be. But that's the closest thing you can get to a remark this year.

You can do autumn exams for free and would not need to attend school. Alternatively, it may be best to look for a place in clearing if you've missed out on your uni offer? The place would still be reinstated if your appeal was successful.

I understand I have no chances of success but at this rate I have no option. I will be appealing based on the grounds of unreasonable judgment. So you think I should argue marking is subjective? I have not found any clearing places for university
Original post by Amyooa
I understand I have no chances of success but at this rate I have no option. I will be appealing based on the grounds of unreasonable judgment. So you think I should argue marking is subjective? I have not found any clearing places for university

You don't need to offer a rationale for unreasonable academic judgement. Just say you want the exam board to check, and leave it up to them.

Do read the first posts in the thread I linked, as it will help you understand the grounds for appeal.

I think you have nothing to lose by appealing, so you may as well give it a shot. I'm not saying you have no chance- I really have no idea what your chances are in an appeal about accademic judgement.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending