The Student Room Group
University of York
York

The Ducks

Hi, so I really love the English/HoA course at York and that combined with the city and the campus would make York probably my preferred choice of uni. But I really have a phobia of ducks and geese. I went round the campus this summer and the geese and the ducks were everywhere, big gangs of them taking over whole areas. How much of a problem are they? Like, when students are there would they be on the paths so much and can they be violent and stuff?
Original post by ic_2004
Hi, so I really love the English/HoA course at York and that combined with the city and the campus would make York probably my preferred choice of uni. But I really have a phobia of ducks and geese. I went round the campus this summer and the geese and the ducks were everywhere, big gangs of them taking over whole areas. How much of a problem are they? Like, when students are there would they be on the paths so much and can they be violent and stuff?

Hi @ic_2004,

It's great to hear that you're considering York! I'm a recent graduate and I actually remember having a very similar conversation with a girl on my interview day about being nervous around the geese.

Everyone has a different experience of course, but from my 3 years at York I didn't find the geese bad at all. I was pretty neutral about them before I came to York, but in a weird way, everyone seems to grow to love them (or have a love/hate relationship with them)! You never know, you may become a fan by the time you've finished your first term!

In general, I've found that if you don't try and approach them or feed them (especially in Spring/Summer when they have their babies) they probably won't cause you any issues. From what I remember, only people that tried to silly with the geese and get too close were the only ones that got hissed at!

There are so many paths around campus and routes to different departments, that if you are unsure about walking past a group of ducks/geese, there will be plenty of ways to avoid them and choose a different path. I really grew in confidence around them and became more comfortable as time went by. You will also probably be walking between lectures with a group of coursemates, so there's always safety in numbers!

When campus is pretty empty, it can sometimes feel like the geese rule the campus, but when everyone is back for the new term, it's a completely different story and they tend to keep themselves a lot more if that makes sense?

I hope this helps ease your worries a little bit, and feel free to ask any more questions :smile:

Hazel
Graduate Ambassador
University of York
York
Hi, What year are you going to be starting at York? I'm also going to be studying English and have a duck/geese phobia
Reply 3
Original post by University of York
Hi @ic_2004,

It's great to hear that you're considering York! I'm a recent graduate and I actually remember having a very similar conversation with a girl on my interview day about being nervous around the geese.

Everyone has a different experience of course, but from my 3 years at York I didn't find the geese bad at all. I was pretty neutral about them before I came to York, but in a weird way, everyone seems to grow to love them (or have a love/hate relationship with them)! You never know, you may become a fan by the time you've finished your first term!

In general, I've found that if you don't try and approach them or feed them (especially in Spring/Summer when they have their babies) they probably won't cause you any issues. From what I remember, only people that tried to silly with the geese and get too close were the only ones that got hissed at!

There are so many paths around campus and routes to different departments, that if you are unsure about walking past a group of ducks/geese, there will be plenty of ways to avoid them and choose a different path. I really grew in confidence around them and became more comfortable as time went by. You will also probably be walking between lectures with a group of coursemates, so there's always safety in numbers!

When campus is pretty empty, it can sometimes feel like the geese rule the campus, but when everyone is back for the new term, it's a completely different story and they tend to keep themselves a lot more if that makes sense?

I hope this helps ease your worries a little bit, and feel free to ask any more questions :smile:

Hazel
Graduate Ambassador

Thank you so much, yeah this helps
Reply 4
Original post by University of York
Hi @ic_2004,

Hazel
Graduate Ambassador

Thank you so much, yeah this helps

Original post by MaeveEnglish
Hi, What year are you going to be starting at York? I'm also going to be studying English and have a duck/geese phobia

Hey! I'm applying later this year for 2022 entry.
Not long back from a trip to york, the geese were never seen on the path, but they did seem to congregate in large packs, or out of the way.
https://imgur.com/a/Gfb4FQQ
https://imgur.com/a/Bf8c02C
Original post by Anonymous
Not long back from a trip to york, the geese were never seen on the path, but they did seem to congregate in large packs, or out of the way.

Oh that is a congregation and a half!
Original post by Anonymous

Original post by lol.yolo
Oh that is a congregation and a half!

i think it's only like that atm because no ones been there due to covid and summer - once students go back they go scarce, only gathering in designated areas
When I was a student at York (a long time ago) the ducks would be culled and we would get various duck-based meals served in the canteens.

And no, I'm not joking.

Quick Reply