Second degree funding 2021

Watch this thread
mavis1986
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
Hi I just got off a call to SFE. Basically i have been accepted on the uclan operating department practice to start sept. I have a previous degree and also have 2 part time previous study. I have been advised i will be unlikely to get a tuition loan because of the amount of previous study i have. Is this correct.
Oxford Brookes University
Badges: 13
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 9 months ago
Hi there!

I have attached the gov website in regards to that for you to check: https://www.gov.uk/student-finance/who-qualifies
From what I gather it would be unlikely for you to be accepted for the tuition loan as they are mainly aimed at people getting their first higher education qualification. In the case of 'topping up a degree', there is a chance for limited funding.

But I'm sure the guys StudentFinance will be able to answer your question in more detail.

I hope this helps you out!
Goodness.
mavis1986
Rep:
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
The degree I am going for is an allied health degree and is exempt as per new government regulation brought in a fee years ago. So i would qualify for both tuition and maintenance as a second degree funding for it does not consider previous study.But thanks for the reply. Spoke to SFE again
Last edited by mavis1986; 9 months ago
SFE Isaac
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by mavis1986)
Hi I just got off a call to SFE. Basically i have been accepted on the uclan operating department practice to start sept. I have a previous degree and also have 2 part time previous study. I have been advised i will be unlikely to get a tuition loan because of the amount of previous study i have. Is this correct.
(Original post by mavis1986)
The degree I am going for is an allied health degree and is exempt as per new government regulation brought in a fee years ago. So i would qualify for both tuition and maintenance as a second degree funding for it does not consider previous study.But thanks for the reply. Spoke to SFE again
Hi,

We will fund the following Allied Health Professional courses regardless of previous study;

• Chiropody
• Dental hygiene (Honours degree, diploma or foundation degree)
• Dental therapy (Honours degree, diploma or foundation degree)
• Dental hygiene and dental therapy (Joint or dual honours)
• Dietetics
• Dietetics and nutrition
• Midwifery (Degree or diploma level)
• Nursing (Degree or diploma level)
• Nursing and social work (Dual honours)
• Occupational therapy
• Operating department practice (Degree or diploma level)
• Orthoptics
• Physiotherapy
• Podiatry
• Prosthetics and Orthotics
• Radiography
• Radiotherapy
• Speech and language therapy

Thanks, Isaac
Cbento86
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report 7 months ago
Mental health Nursing?
mavis1986
Rep:
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
(Original post by Cbento86)
Mental health Nursing?
Yes comes under nursing
littleh1972
Rep:
Report 7 months ago
HiI have a theology degree at masters and want to retrainIn sociology which I believe is a stem subject . Can I get help from sfe and is this help for ft or pt only Kr
mavis1986
Rep:
No as its not on the exemption list.
If you already have a degree
You may be eligible for limited funding in certain circumstances.

You may get limited funding if you’re ‘topping up’ a higher education qualification, for example you’ve finished an HNC, HND or Foundation Degree and now want to do an Honours degree.

You may also get limited funding if you hold an Honours degree or a higher level of qualification and start a new course. This could be a part-time Honours degree, a joint Honours degree or an Integrated Master’s degree in one of the following (or 2 if it’s a joint Honours degree):

agriculture and related subjects
architecture (if it’s a MArch RIBA Part 2 course)
biological sciences
computer science
mathematical sciences
medicine and allied subjects
physical sciences
technologies
courses leading to qualification as a veterinary surgeon
You could also be eligible if you’re starting a healthcare course on or after 1 August 2017.
mavis1986
Rep:
For part time, look at the open uni.

Sociology is not considered a stem subject.

https://www.open.ac.uk/courses/fees-...qualifications
judyt4
Rep:
Report 7 months ago
Hi there,I am a Bsc Applied Human Nutrition students and wish to apply for Msc Dietetics. Do i have limited options? I mean does that mean I can not apply for Msc Nutrition and Dietetics just only Msc Dietetics if i wish to receive funding from SFE?
mavis1986
Rep:
(Original post by judyt4)
Hi there,I am a Bsc Applied Human Nutrition students and wish to apply for Msc Dietetics. Do i have limited options? I mean does that mean I can not apply for Msc Nutrition and Dietetics just only Msc Dietetics if i wish to receive funding from SFE?
Sfe will find the below AHP courses

• Chiropody
• Dental hygiene (Honours degree, diploma or foundation degree)
• Dental therapy (Honours degree, diploma or foundation degree)
• Dental hygiene and dental therapy (Joint or dual honours)
• Dietetics
• Dietetics and nutrition
• Midwifery (Degree or diploma level)
• Nursing (Degree or diploma level)
• Nursing and social work (Dual honours)
• Occupational therapy
• Operating department practice (Degree or diploma level)
• Orthoptics
• Physiotherapy
• Podiatry
• Prosthetics and Orthotics
• Radiography
• Radiotherapy
• Speech and language therapy
Morganakh
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
Hi SFE
Would student finance fund MSc Dietetics & Leadership (pre-registration)?
Last edited by Morganakh; 4 months ago
Cbento86
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report 4 months ago
They tend to only give tuition loans for second degrees to those that want to do health or teaching.
SFE Isaac
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Morganakh)
Hi SFE
Would student finance fund MSc Dietetics & Leadership (pre-registration)?
Hi, please confirm the name of the university?

Thanks, Isaac
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Y13's - If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (5)
21.74%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something else changes (e.g. exams/pandemic related concerns) (1)
4.35%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (4)
17.39%
I still have more questions before I make my decision (2)
8.7%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (6)
26.09%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (5)
21.74%

Watched Threads