The Student Room Group

Clearing final choices

Hello, I've received 3 offers through clearing and am having trouble deciding which university to go for. The three offers I've received are as follows:
Swansea - Computer Science w/Foundation Year
Brighton - Computer Science
Kent - Electronic and Computer Engineering w/Foundation Year

I'm interested in both different courses offered, my concern is that Swansea is quite far away (200 miles) compared the other two which are 100miles from home

I also don't really mind taking a foundation year since it allows me to access the course, however, I'd prefer one less year in Education. I've got until tomorrow morning to choose which to accept.

Thanks
You need a pros and cons list for each unis.

Give both courses a score out of 5 for...
Module choice
Module variety/ interesting modules
Opportunities (abroad, industry, languages)
Nightlife (if it interests you)
Societies
Reply 2
Original post by 04MR17
You need a pros and cons list for each unis.

Give both courses a score out of 5 for...
Module choice
Module variety/ interesting modules
Opportunities (abroad, industry, languages)
Nightlife (if it interests you)
Societies

Hello I just chose Swansea since I feel more inclined towards taking Computer Science, and Swansea is a better university than Brighton so to me it was the obvious choice between the two.

Thanks for replying to my thread though.
Original post by rayraydj
Hello I just chose Swansea since I feel more inclined towards taking Computer Science, and Swansea is a better university than Brighton so to me it was the obvious choice between the two.

Thanks for replying to my thread though.

Swansea is a lovely place. If you can see if you can arrange a visit. 200 miles is day-trippable or you could look for somewhere to stay over
Original post by PQ
Swansea is a lovely place. If you can see if you can arrange a visit. 200 miles is day-trippable or you could look for somewhere to stay over

Just to add to your answer. Swansea is a 3 hour train journey and slightly loThe BAY cAMPUnger by bus or car. The Computer Science department is on the new Bay Campus opened in 2015 and in the Computational Foundry building which opened about 2 years ago. The Bay Campus is about 2 and 1/2 miles out of the city centre. It is about 5 miles or half an hour bus ride from the other campus.

One of the big issues that OP might encounter is that Swansea University were placing clearing students last year in the student village which whilst close to the older campus is a 45 minute bus ride each way to the Bay Campus. There are however a number of private halls in or near the city centre which might prove more suitable.
Hello, I've received 3 offers through clearing and am having trouble deciding which university to go for. The three offers I've received are as follows:

I'm interested in both different courses offered, my concern is that Swansea is quite far away (200 miles) compared the other two which are 100miles from home

I also don't really mind taking a foundation year since it allows me to access the course, however, I'd prefer one less year in Education. I've got until tomorrow morning to choose which to accept.

Thanks

Here are some links to the private hall in or near the city centre. Fusion were advertising spaces yesterday
https://www.fusionstudents.co.uk/locations/swansea/
https://www.truestudent.com/swansea
https://omniaspace.co.uk/accommodation-location/swansea/
https://www.studentroost.co.uk/locations/swansea
https://www.primestudentliving.com/swansea/

All are only a few years old. Fusion and True Student are opening in September.
Original post by swanseajack1
Just to add to your answer. Swansea is a 3 hour train journey and slightly loThe BAY cAMPUnger by bus or car. The Computer Science department is on the new Bay Campus opened in 2015 and in the Computational Foundry building which opened about 2 years ago. The Bay Campus is about 2 and 1/2 miles out of the city centre. It is about 5 miles or half an hour bus ride from the other campus.

One of the big issues that OP might encounter is that Swansea University were placing clearing students last year in the student village which whilst close to the older campus is a 45 minute bus ride each way to the Bay Campus. There are however a number of private halls in or near the city centre which might prove more suitable.

I was hoping you’d find this thread:smile:
Original post by PQ
I was hoping you’d find this thread:smile:

I hope my knowledge of Swansea can be of some help.

Thanks

Hey man, I had similar options to you, Kent offered me the exact same course, I also had Essex's 3-year course and Swansea 3 year course. In the end, I decided to go with Swansea since it seemed the best option after comparing all the unis using multiple factors.
Original post by alisterd.03
Hey man, I had similar options to you, Kent offered me the exact same course, I also had Essex's 3-year course and Swansea 3 year course. In the end, I decided to go If you wantanwith Swansea since it seemed the best option after comparing all the unis using multiple factors.

If either of you want any advice on the Swansea area feel free to ask. Meantime here are a couple of videos to hel
p you. As I have mentioned previously I know last year that clearing students were being offered accommodation in the student village which is a 45 minute bus ride to the Bay Campus. You need to consider whether that is right for you or whether one of the private providers in the city centre might be more suited to someone studying on the Bay Campus. HSV is considerably cheaper but doesnt have private facilities.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=swansea+syudent+videos&docid=608045645573550103&mid=62C23EC2735FFCEEFB0D62C23EC2735FFCEEFB0D&view=detail&FORM=VIRE
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=swansea+syudent+videos&docid=607987727947007093&mid=37899C6FD1C6882B36FF37899C6FD1C6882B36FF&view=detail&FORM=VIRE

Thanks

Hey there!

I'm glad you're considering Kent! If you've been given an offer with Kent through Clearing, you have until Monday to decide! :smile:

Our Electronic and Computer Engineering is a fantastic course, and it is one that I have had many of my friends constantly rave about how much they enjoy it. Even The Complete University Guide 2021 gave Kent a 90% overall for the course, alongside our graduate prospects being 86% for the course - meaning graduates go into prestigious work after finishing their degree. Our graduates from the course have gone on to work for incredible companies such as BAE Systems, Nokia, British Energy and the Royal Navy. The great thing about this, is that our Alumni's can provide you amazing access to opportunities once you're finishing your degree, making it far easier to get a job compared to others.

Through Clearing you still have the choice of all our accommodation, which is all super modern and on campus making everything less than a 10 minute walk!

If you want some more information, give our Clearing hotline a ring on: 01227 768896, and they can give you all the advice and information you need.

Best of luck!
Nathan
UKC Rep
heyy @rayraydj I'll be doing the same course in Swansea this September. Let's get in touch!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending