The Student Room Group

URGENT

I have applied for 3 unis through clearing for a joint mathematics and finance course each with their own pros and cons.

Russel groups:
Southampton seems to have a decent degree from the rankings online with no accreditation or guaranteed placement.Queen mary has an included professional placement, but I am not sure it is the best uni for the course.

However, I have also applied to City which is not Russell group but has an accredited degree which makes me exempt for some further exams if I decide to do a job such as an actuary, as well as placement year.

My issue lies whether I do the accredited course in City or go to a Russell group instead. What if I no longer want to go into finance what would allow me to have the best opportunities in the future regardless.
Reply 1
My school has emphasised so much how russel group unis are sought out and liked by employers which is why I am so stressed out. I saw the stats for City and it was not looking too good online compared to the other schools.
Hi :smile:

Well done for already applying to your places through clearing!

I would say that doing the accredited course will give you the most options in the long run because it will allow you to go into finance later on and broaden your options. Also in terms of getting your final degree as long you do well in your degree, most industries will be happy that you have your degree, doing things like placements will then make you stand out as a candidate when looking for a job.
Comparing the course content at each uni might also help you make a decision as to which one would be best suited to you! You could also have a look at what students graduating from that course then go on to do after studying at each university.

If your really not sure what you want to do maybe consider doing an internship in the industry before you go to university?

I hope this helps!

Jubilee - Uop Rep

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending