The Student Room Group

course facility at university of Leicetser

Hi my name is Ayush and I have got an offer from both University of Leicester and University of Surrey for BSc in Physics and Astronomy and wanted some advice on both the universities facilities in the particular subject. Which university amongst them would be good for this course?
Original post by fotedarayush
Hi my name is Ayush and I have got an offer from both University of Leicester and University of Surrey for BSc in Physics and Astronomy and wanted some advice on both the universities facilities in the particular subject. Which university amongst them would be good for this course?

Hi @fotedarayush (Ayush),

Congratulations on receiving an offer from us to study Physics and Astronomy - good work!

At Leicester, we have some great facilities for Physics, including running the Observatory in Oadby where there's a 20-inch telescope! You can find out more about our facilities for Physics and Astronomy here. I've also included a really nice video here of one of our current students, Heidi, who is currently studying Physics at Leicester - she explains lots more about the wide range of equipment she uses as part of her degree.

The 'good' course will be the one with the modules that sound the most fun / interesting to you. Have you had a chance to look through the modules for each course yet? Whilst the courses have very similar names, the modules may be totally different to it's good to have a look through those if you can, to see which are most appealing to you. At Leicester, you also have optional modules through all years of your degree from a range of areas within Physics, so you can tailor your degree to what you'd really like to learn about. I've linked to our list of Physics courses here so you can select yours to have a look at the modules.

I've included a link here to a whistle-stop campus tour, if you aren't able to visit us before you have to make your decision. Look out for a sneak-peak of the Physics building at 2:14.

I hope that helps - please do let me know if you have any other questions - we're more than happy to help. You can also chat to our current students to see how they find studying at the University of Leicester.

Good luck with your decision - do what feels best for you :smile:

Ellie
Original post by fotedarayush

Hi there,

To introduce myself I’m Joao, starting next semester I will be in my final year studying BSc Economics at Surrey University while working as a Campus Ambassador for JP Morgan. I recently finished my one-year industrial placement as an Economist for the British Government’s Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (Defra). I also had the opportunity to work as a Private Secretary to the Minister of Environment and Biosecurity.

Our BSc and MPhys Physics with Astronomy courses teach you about our place in the cosmos. You’ll learn about cutting-edge theories of the origin of the Universe and life itself, and have the opportunity to carry out original research with leading scientists in the field. We’re home to fantastic astronomy facilities, including our own teaching and outreach telescopes that you’ll use to get hands-on observation experience, as well as high-performance computing and GPU clusters.

Two unique aspects of both courses are:

Our placement program:

Within the BSc, the option to take a paid Professional Training placement in the industry gives you invaluable hands-on experience to enhance your employability.
On our MPhys course, you’ll take a year-long, master-level integrated research placement. This can be in one of our world-leading research groups or at one of our international partner institutions.
Our focus on undergraduate research and innovation:

All undergraduates have the opportunity to apply for paid 8-10 week summer research placements in our research groups and those of our South East Physics Network partners. We offer in-house grants that students can apply for to fund a research placement, attend a conference or develop a new business idea.

Finally, the campus is lovely. Surrey is known to put a lot of emphasis on the social life of students and always care about how you spend your free time at university. The student union offers more than 140 societies based on any hobbies and interests students have and clubs for all kinds of sport that a student might want to take up. And even with covid restrictions, the union managed to organize one of the biggest covid-safe university events in the country!

If you have any questions about Surrey or uni life in general, then please ask as I am here to help you out :smile:

Joao
Economics

Quick Reply

Latest