Is university of law respected?

Watch this thread
svtancharli
Badges: 5
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 11 months ago
i am considering doing a LLB law degree at university of law at the birmingham campus.

i’ve seen mixed reviews and would love for some opinion.

its either that or a politics and ir degree at aston

pls help
04MR17
Badges: 22
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by svtancharli)
i am considering doing a LLB law degree at university of law at the birmingham campus.

pls help
What is it you are hoping to do in the future?
Different industries look at universities in different ways.
svtancharli
Badges: 5
Rep:
Report Thread starter 11 months ago
(Original post by 04MR17)
What is it you are hoping to do in the future?
Different industries look at universities in different ways.
i want to be a solicitor
04MR17
Rep:
Report 11 months ago
i want to be a solicitor
I would encourage you to have a read of this thread:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=6247090

I will also tag CatusStarbright, who certainly knows more than I do about Law courses and what they mean in connection to working in the industry.
McGinger
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 11 months ago
All of the Uni of Law colleges are an 'office block' type set up - not a conventional Uni campus.
And obviously they only teach Law and related subjects. They focus on postgrad and other 'professional development' type courses.
Yes, you will end up with a perfectly usable Law degree, but it wont be the same 'student experience as being at a conventional University.

It is now possible to qualify as a Solicitor after taking a degree in any subject, or you can do a one-year conversion Masters level course - so doing a Politics & IR degree certainly doesnt rule put Law as a career, and could be a very useful background if you decide to do Law. Aston would obviously give you the usual 'big University campus'. student experience.

Background info on Law career routes here - https://www.prospects.ac.uk/jobs-and...ors/law-sector
harrysbar
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 11 months ago

pls help
You are likely to get a better uni experience at Aston. ULaw is more suitable as a place to do a postgraduate course so will be mainly full of postgrad students. I would pick Politics and IR at Aston and then convert to Law at a later stage if it still appeals to you after your degree.
CatusStarbright
Rep:
Report 11 months ago
I agree that your uni experience will likely be much better at Aston, as UoL is mainly a postgraduate institution.

As others have said, you do not need to do a law degree to go into the legal profession and become a solicitor (though doing one will likely make the academic side of qualification easier) so that is something to consider too.

Essentially you should decide whether you want to do an undergraduate law degree in an institution which mainly caters to postgraduates, or whether you want to do politics and IR at Aston and then go into law. Please note that if you choose the latter then I strongly recommend engaging with legal careers events and joining the law society there as that will help you to get to know employers and apply for work experience schemes.
Last edited by CatusStarbright; 11 months ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Do you know what you'll do if you don't get the grades you're hoping for?

Find something else in clearing (8)
33.33%
Take a gap year (5)
20.83%
Resit my exams (6)
25%
Look for alternate pathways to the career I want (3)
12.5%
I don't know yet (1)
4.17%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (1)
4.17%

Watched Threads