The Student Room Group

Asian = Biology = Medicine

hi all.
i'm an asian myself, so don't go thinking this is some sort of offensive post!

BIOLOGY. the most popular subject for asian students. personally i find this subject awful, boring, tedious, and 'lifeless' (don't mind the pun). second comes the also-very-boring ICT. Third in the rankings comes Chemistry. i quite like chemistry. well, the maths + logic part of it.

let me start again. i'm doing my a-levels in Physics, Mechanics, Computing, Maths, and Chemistry.

day by day, i see more and more asian people doing biology. this then leading into medicine. what i don't understand is why pretty much ALL asians are doing this. yes, we need 'doctars' to make us better when we're not so well. but is it really neccessary for ALL asians to aim at doing medicine???

what are your opinions?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Im afraid theres probably a sense of family peer pressure going on, but i feel thats it is not just asian families who do this. Oh and i am hoping to do medicine but its definately not beciuase i just beciause of biology, which i do see as intresting, but more to do with other reasons
Reply 2
I'm not doing Biology or Medicine.

However, I am doing double Maths and Physics, and am gonna do Maths at uni :biggrin:

Almost every asian at school takes at least 1 science (excluding maths). I don't really know why. I know this one guy who took 3 sciences and maths at AS, and is now gonna do a Maths and Finance degree :s:
Reply 3
mockel
I'm not doing Biology or Medicine.

However, I am doing double Maths and Physics, and am gonna do Maths at uni :biggrin:

Almost every asian at school takes at least 1 science (excluding maths). I don't really know why. I know this one guy who took 3 sciences and maths at AS, and is now gonna do a Maths and Finance degree :s:

yeh? a guy i know at my college does 5 subjects: BIOLOGY, chemistry, physics, and Further Maths. he wants to drop Physics and so has betrayed us!

i had the option to do further maths, but i took chemistry as it will help me if i wanted to do something like quantum physics later on.
Reply 4
shadowkin
I don't do any science only a social science - psychology. I guess I'm some sort of anomaly.

psychology's kinda cool. messing with people's heads and that! :biggrin:
Reply 5
can i just point out that the question in the poll is relating to wether you are thinking of doing MEDICINE, not just about Biology.
Reply 6
You do realise that biology does not = medicine. A lot of med schools don't even require it.
Reply 7
I enjoy my sciences, but I do prefer chemistry and physics over biology. Medicine is always in my mind as career option even though I would like to work in the Civil service. Its a weird south Asian phenomenon, all the cleaver ones want to be doctors.
Reply 8
Uma!r
I enjoy my sciences, but I do prefer chemistry and physics over biology. Medicine is always in my mind as career option even though I would like to work in the Civil service. Its a weird south Asian phenomenon, all the cleaver ones want to be doctors.

yeh true. i also actually prefer chemistry its just more easy i guess
Uma!r

Hmmm yeah, I guess it's just family pressure saying aim high, look at the opportunities, make the most of it... you're right though, loads and loads of doctors are Asian lol.
Reply 10
i was peering into an exam hall the other day, and the subject that was on was biology. alll i could see were asians, asians, asians, and more asians! it's like this craze that yoyo's and pokemon once was... just academically! ...and it seems to be lasting quite a bit...
Reply 11
heminder
i was peering into an exam hall the other day, and the subject that was on was biology. alll i could see were asians, asians, asians, and more asians! it's like this craze that yoyo's and pokemon once was... just academically! ...and it seems to be lasting quite a bit...

maybe it was an asian college
Reply 12
i stayed away from science aswell.....just do maths econ and politics.And yeah im asian lol
Reply 13
BLUREMI
maybe it was an asian college

no, Cadbury College here in birmingham. pretty much in the middle of nowhere. the asian area, Handsworth, is about 50 mins away: 2 bus journeys. i live somewhat closer to the college. distribution is about 50% asian and 50% everyone-else. not sure if that's to do with a 'lack of' college in Handsworth...
heminder
hi all.
i'm an asian myself, so don't go thinking this is some sort of offensive post!

BIOLOGY. the most popular subject for asian students. personally i find this subject awful, boring, tedious, and 'lifeless' (don't mind the pun). second comes the also-very-boring ICT. Third in the rankings comes Chemistry. i quite like chemistry. well, the maths + logic part of it.

let me start again. i'm doing my a-levels in Physics, Mechanics, Computing, Maths, and Chemistry.

day by day, i see more and more asian people doing biology. this then leading into medicine. what i don't understand is why pretty much ALL asians are doing this. yes, we need 'doctars' to make us better when we're not so well. but is it really neccessary for ALL asians to aim at doing medicine???

what are your opinions?

chinese parents tend to want their kids to pursue professional degrees cos they think that would lead to more income and respect. and usually that lead to "medicine" cos it's always been viewsed as the most prestigious career in the chinese society. i've chosen vet med, but it is not a common career pursued by chinese, and my parents have always been trying to discourage me from it. they still, to this day, want me to do medicine, which i have firmly told them i would not do it. but i guess they're so stubborn and old-fashioned that they wouldn't listen...but nothing is going to change it now.
Reply 15
eurasianfeline
chinese parents tend to want their kids to pursue professional degrees cos they think that would lead to more income and respect. and usually that lead to "medicine" cos it's always been viewsed as the most prestigious career in the chinese society. i've chosen vet med, but it is not a common career pursued by chinese, and my parents have always been trying to discourage me from it. they still, to this day, want me to do medicine, which i have firmly told them i would not do it. but i guess they're so stubborn and old-fashioned that they wouldn't listen...but nothing is going to change it now.

my parents wanted me to do medicine too.
i rejected their offer at an early stage mid-way GCSE's. today they are still pestering me and telling me that i still have a chance to change subjects. it's obvious that they want me to pick biology. NNNAAAAAAAA!!!! :biggrin:
I know what you mean heminder. My dad, my sister and my bother have all done medicine, and my mum also did a bio-science related degree!
Im like the odd one out in the family because Im not doing medicine. Ive also missed out in the genious genes, as im the only one that hasnt got straight As since infant school.

Did your parents give you a choice out of Medicine, Law or Engineering after your GCSEs too?
And if you happen to do anything like a Business or IT degree, everyone thinks your an idiot!

I guess all the family pressure did work, because im applying for an Engineering degree now!
heminder
my parents wanted me to do medicine too.
i rejected their offer at an early stage mid-way GCSE's. today they are still pestering me and telling me that i still have a chance to change subjects. it's obvious that they want me to pick biology. NNNAAAAAAAA!!!! :biggrin:

even now my parents are like "you can always change back to medicine if u don't like vet!!" but i told them i won't...i KNOW i won't cos i enjoy veterinary med so much more than human med.
Reply 18
SinghFello
I know what you mean heminder. My dad, my sister and my bother have all done medicine, and my mum also did a bio-science related degree!
Im like the odd one out in the family because Im not doing medicine. Ive also missed out in the genious genes, as im the only one that hasnt got straight As since infant school.

Did your parents give you a choice out of Medicine, Law or Engineering after your GCSEs too?
And if you happen to do anything like a Business or IT degree, everyone thinks your an idiot!

I guess all the family pressure did work, because im applying for an Engineering degree now!

lol, no. they knew that i was so bent on breaking the habbit. my mum is a Zoologist/Virologist, and my dad is a Eye Surgeon.

So far i'm predicted an A in all of my subjects, except Chemistry which is a B. my favourite subject is Physics (surprise-surprise!). it's the subject that i actually find the easiest. don't know if that's the same case with you lot.
Reply 19
im also the odd one out in my family, my mum was a teacher, my dad was an agricultural researcher, my eldest bro is barrister and my second eldest bro is studying anthrpology

Latest

Trending

Trending