Asian = Biology = Medicine Watch

This discussion is closed.
Saagar
Badges: 0
Report 14 years ago
I like Biology but I'd hate to do medicine, suprising even my parents weren't too keen on it. Ummm am I or they even Indians.....!!! I liked chemistry too but thought it'd be too hard for me as AS/A-level. The problem is theres alot of snobbery from asian parents. Like my mate is indian and doing physcology and philosophy and he was even saying IF he were to get arranged into a marriage parents would think, "oh dear, what went wrong with him" and we found it quite distressing because some students are pressurised into doing degrees just because they hold a higher respect and prestige over others. It shouldn't be about degrees which make you the money but doing what your truly goodat and what you want to do.
Saagar
Report 14 years ago
By the way, what if your asian, like biology but don't want to do medicine because you don't really like and not cuz you haven't got what it takes!! I can't give a true vote!!!
Reema
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Well I'm Asian Indian (Gujurati) and taking Philosophy...I was almost pressured into doing Law (*snores*), and science-y subjects earlier on, but I put my foot down and insisted on Philosophy, because it IS the best . (From my subjective viewpoint!)

Real snobbery going on actually; some of my relatives don't even care that that's what I'm studying; they kind of look down on my choice of degree. Ah well, screw them, they're the ignorant ones not me.

edit- Saagar, I love your signature. "Iris" is a fantastic song!
topdude
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
i member i saw a programme on asians a few months ago, and they said when an asian gets to say "my son/daughters a doctor" its like they have a halo. im lucky, i come from a trading caste, and my family want me to help run the business so they told me to take economics so i did. i remember the day i spoke to my family about what AS levels to do, they said do eco maths and another 2 of ur choice. My mum then goes to me do 2 sciences then if you want you dont have to work for the family, u can do medicice! i was just spoilt for choices!
bOdOING2
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by heminder)
pretty much all of 'em

Umm i Think it jus the Indian/Pakistanis who OVERWHELMINGLY want to do med... the oritentals here are more inclined to sciency/mathy subjects like engineering, maths etc...

Although I would contradict my statement as I'm Chinese and applyin for med... but I dont think its he general rule or orientals
tammypotato
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
in my school which was 99% asian they all went into either medecine clinical scien pharmacy or business studies. (they nearly all went to bradfrod uni). im doing physics in wales tho. but i m only half asian.
bOdOING2
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by tammypotato)
in my school which was 99% asian they all went into either medecine clinical scien pharmacy or business studies. (they nearly all went to bradfrod uni). im doing physics in wales tho. but i m only half asian.

Does Bradford even have a Medical school???
tammypotato
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by bOdOING2)
Does Bradford even have a Medical school???
no thats y i said nearly. 2 got into medicine.
leopard
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
~guess i didn't follow the typical route then. Nearly all of my subjects were humanities/social science based, except for maths. I did French, Latin and Extension English and Economics.

I hated science, the only one i enjoyed was chem

(Original post by Hash)
You do realise that biology does not = medicine. A lot of med schools don't even require it.
true, here in australia, or Sydney at least, the unis require either Physics or chem as a pre-req.

(Original post by eurasianfeline)
i enjoy veterinary med so much more than human med.
my cousin's stuck on doing vet med too Some of the relos still try to ignore this and say she's gonna be a doctor...until i kindly point out that she's ONLY interested in being the doctor for animals! :p:
wickedsingh
Report 14 years ago
The problem as I see it is that Asian parents first see the success of their children as that of them as parents. So medicine = their success and sociology = their failure. Also they see their children as their pension fund. So a doctor = a comfortable retirement and a social worker =just the state pension.

So if you took away this social responsibility of the family and parents tagged onto each kid then less asians will end up in medicine.
Bilal
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I'm asian and boring = biology and wanting to do medicine!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!1
Adil Bhai
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Medicice all the way!!!!!!!! :aetsch:
heminder
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
(Original post by wickedsingh)
Well, Asian + a bit of intelligence + science preferred over arts = medicine (80% of the time).
are you saying that 80% of the time, the only science we asians are good at is Medicine???

well, we certainly proved us worthy in ONE area of science. now, let's see we can move on in the world (after a century). and try something else!
wickedsingh
Report 14 years ago
Yup its about time asian parents found out that medicine isnt the only worthy science. The only subject the brighter Asians are doing are:

Economics related, Law, Medicine or medicine related, Engineering. And about 90% asians in my college fit into one of those.

I myself wanted to do physics, since its my favourite science. But then I had to think about the future and I realy couldnt see myself sitting behind a desk for 9 hours at a bank , and neither could I see myself amongst the academic geeks at CERN or another research lab.
SinghFello
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
What are you applying for wickedsingh?

To be fair, medicine is one of the only medical related degree that guarantees security (bar dentistry, vet med and pharmacy).
Say if you did a degree in biomed or even a pure science you wouldn’t get an as good job as you get if you medicine unless you got a 1st for a top 5 Univ, and did a PhD, which in most cases is harder than just doing the 5year medicine route.

I think medicine in probably the easiest way for an Asian to become a high flyer.
You will hit the glass ceiling early on in your career as a barrister or a solicitor, because unfortunately, at the top, it is a white male dominated area. Unless you have some good contacts, you really haven’t got a chance.
Economics can lead to a good job in say investment banking or accounting, but competition is immense, and the chances of success are very slim, unless you are exceptional.
Whereas most areas of medicine are not that competitive, which is why so many Asians are at the top of their field.
anita_xx
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I really pity the asian guy who tells his parents he wants to be a nurse. :rolleyes:
LOL!!! Yes this is so true!!

I'm Asian and my parents have always told me from the beginning that I should go into something that would give me a secure future because (in my dad's words) 'We're not rich, we're not going to be able to leave you lots of money, so if you want to have a decent quality of life, you'll have to be able to earn it.' I've always been exposed to medicine (GP mum) and always said I wanted to do medicine...funnily enough my mum used to try and talk me out of it because it's such hard work!

Here in Sheffield, at least 40% of the year is Asian - a huge increase on the general population.
wickedsingh
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by SinghFello)
What are you applying for wickedsingh?
I am off to Imperial after a2 (grades permitting) to study medicine. Yeah, I do agree about the glass cieling in certain professions, there is sadly little space for the Asian guy at the top, unless its a public relation exercise. You know what I mean, the one token asian guy in managment to show that they dont discriminate on matters of race.
Bilal
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I am off to Imperial after a2 (grades permitting) to study medicine. Yeah, I do agree about the glass cieling in certain professions, there is sadly little space for the Asian guy at the top, unless its a public relation exercise. You know what I mean, the one token asian guy in managment to show that they dont discriminate on matters of race.
Your poll make no sense.
Gaz031
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
To be honest the asians at my six form centre are only interested in 'Business studies' and womanising, rather than studying for medicine.
BLUREMI
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Bilal786)
Your poll make no sense.
its not his poll :hello:
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Aston University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (879)
79.98%
Leave (220)
20.02%

Watched Threads