Fluffy
You want to run a toy hospital - cool!

riiiiight...
some career...
lolx....
that would be fun...
any investors?
Reply 82
I saw this programme ages ago about the doctors in the NHS.....about 75% of doctors in the UK are asian!...I didnt really believe it at first but seeing this thread made think..funny isnt it? Theres too many 'Daactar ji's' running round! If there are that many asian doctors, How comes Ive never seen at least one in bristol?...shocking!
Reply 83
heminder
i was peering into an exam hall the other day, and the subject that was on was biology. alll i could see were asians, asians, asians, and more asians! it's like this craze that yoyo's and pokemon once was... just academically! ...and it seems to be lasting quite a bit...

lmao!!
Reply 84
~Morph~
I saw this programme ages ago about the doctors in the NHS.....about 75% of doctors in the UK are asian!...I didnt really believe it at first but seeing this thread made think..funny isnt it? Theres too many 'Daactar ji's' running round! If there are that many asian doctors, How comes Ive never seen at least one in bristol?...shocking!

It's not really that shocking - many Asians are 2nd/3rd generation British, there parents gave up a lot to bring them up here, most took on crappy jobs and as a result push their kids hard.

Their kids see what there parents are going/went through to ensure that they don't have to take crappy jobs and work hard in return.

As more and more Asians move into higher socio-economic groups, this 'selection pressure' will ease, and I'm sure the studiousness of this ethnic group will start to disperse...
Reply 85
wickedsingh
I really pity the asian guy who tells his parents he wants to be a nurse. :rolleyes:

lolzzz..... :eek:
Hey there're many Asian doctors in the States too. Most of them used to have poor parents but theire parents are not poor anymore once their children become doctors! I have to admit it that Asians are really hard workers. Fortunately, I don't have to compete against them a lot at my school because whites make up more than 80% of the student population here. Hee!
Reply 87
I heard st georges was just full of asians. An oriental boy i know was reluctant to go there because of this and plus he said the girls were ugly. He however hopes St georges allows you to join the third year of medicine in the third year
lol yea thats tru!!! my family gave me a choice out of law, medicine, sciene/maths or finance.

i did math chem phys all at a2. however, there were no asians in the chem class (except me) no asians in the physics class (me only) and in math alevel there were me and three other asians(indians) and one chinese

however in the 6th form there were only three indians and two chinese. but still seems weird that they all go for the smae subjects. the indians did math,bio,IT and degree biochem; math,BS,IT degree in computing; math chem phys dgree in Law; IT/BS alevel, degree in IT and finally math,IT, BS and degree in computing. the chises guys did math IT,BS degree in business statistics; IT,BS history degree in Finance

so lol yea. everyone white did subjects like psychology and english at uni
Reply 89
I m the only asian in my sixth form and i applied for med so mayb lol

Well actually there is another asian who remarkably applied for english, somehow he managed to pull it off (lol) only coz his brother is doin med at barts. :biggrin:
Reply 90
yea..feelin the pressure here too..im vet med..=p
Reply 91
...will it ever end?
:biggrin:
Reply 92
2 Much Generalisation going on here !

There is some truth in the matter but not much as there as many asians who are on the other end and not remotely interested in Medicine ! This might not seem apparant may be because they are not enough to gauge representative sample !

MEDIC
Fluffy
It's not really that shocking - many Asians are 2nd/3rd generation British, there parents gave up a lot to bring them up here, most took on crappy jobs and as a result push their kids hard.

Their kids see what there parents are going/went through to ensure that they don't have to take crappy jobs and work hard in return.

As more and more Asians move into higher socio-economic groups, this 'selection pressure' will ease, and I'm sure the studiousness of this ethnic group will start to disperse...

To be honest, I didn't really see the crappy jobs my parents had to do but I have been assured of how hard they worked for me through my whole life.. they don't push me hard though, compared to most asian families (including my uncle..:P) ..they encouraged me in the right direction but they never forced me into medicine. I did that myself :rolleyes:
Reply 94
Hi guys -

just out of interest do any of you think I've encited racial hatred on this thread?

One alledgedly qualified Dr says I have and is going to report me to the BMA (sorry this is hard to type as I'm laughing so much and having to wipe the tears from my eyes as I try to hit the right letters on my keyboard!!!).

Here are my posts on this thread:

Fluffy

Post 24: Not another Asian/Medicine thread!

Post 25: Lol! You should have posted using BIGGER LETTERS!!!

Post 36: Not true - not all schools require chem.

Post 38: Cambridge, UEA, Imperial, Newcastle, PMS, Barts, SGHMS

Post 18: You want to run a toy hospital - cool!

Post 86: It's not really that shocking - many Asians are 2nd/3rd generation British, there parents gave up a lot to bring them up here, most took on crappy jobs and as a result push their kids hard.

Will be very interested to hear your views!

Peace out!

Fluffy
xxxxx
Argh!

I am a GCSE student. I am Asian (Indian). I want to do medicine.

My parents said to me early on: "Beta...you can do whatever you want. I know you love playing the piano - become a pianist. I know you are into computers - do Computer Science".

A few years later (Yr 11), I told them I want to be a doctor. They said Woo! but then said "Beta...medicine is hard - if we can give any advice, only do it if you really know you want to."

I said yeah - there is nothing more I have ever wanted to do than make a difference in society and see the smile on a patients face when I help them.

I'm not doing medicine becuase I am Asian...or because my parents are pressurising me...or because I want to show off...or because I want lots of money...I am doing it because I want to become a doctor.

It is so stereotypical! Asians recieve so much criticsm saying stuff like "They all become daactaars...it's ridiculous...the NHS is getting taken over". It's like arranged marraiges. I get people in school asking me if I'm engaged yet - seriously! And it is also like when someone first sees you and you get talking:

"So, you must be Hindu!"
"No"
"Well then - you're Muslim?"
"No"
"Buddhist?!"
"No"
"Come on man, you're Indian or something"
"Yeah, I'm Indian. But I don't believe in God"

LOL!
Reply 96
I'm a real anamoly, I didn't do any sciences, and doing Politics at Uni.
abhineyjain
Argh!

I am a GCSE student. I am Asian (Indian). I want to do medicine.

My parents said to me early on: "Beta...you can do whatever you want. I know you love playing the piano - become a pianist. I know you are into computers - do Computer Science".

A few years later (Yr 11), I told them I want to be a doctor. They said Woo! but then said "Beta...medicine is hard - if we can give any advice, only do it if you really know you want to."

I said yeah - there is nothing more I have ever wanted to do than make a difference in society and see the smile on a patients face when I help them.

I'm not doing medicine becuase I am Asian...or because my parents are pressurising me...or because I want to show off...or because I want lots of money...I am doing it because I want to become a doctor.

It is so stereotypical! Asians recieve so much criticsm saying stuff like "They all become daactaars...it's ridiculous...the NHS is getting taken over". It's like arranged marraiges. I get people in school asking me if I'm engaged yet - seriously! And it is also like when someone first sees you and you get talking:

"So, you must be Hindu!"
"No"
"Well then - you're Muslim?"
"No"
"Buddhist?!"
"No"
"Come on man, you're Indian or something"
"Yeah, I'm Indian. But I don't believe in God"

LOL!

Yeah I'm Chinese and I'm the same as you. Actually, I was off to do Chem at ICL last year but I really wanted to do Medicine so I took a gap year. My family were pretty much against it in case I didn't get in and 'wasted' a year. No one was really supporting me to do Medicine! But, as usual, they trusted me with my decision and just said, if it's sure what you want to do.. so I guess I'm another exemption here :wink: I wouldn't say they were completely relaxed though, if I was doing something like English at Liverpool Hope, they would've killed me to be honest :eek: Still, I have less pressure than my cousin who's paying god knows how much to attend the best school in London just to get into Cam :rolleyes: Anyways I'm rambling now!

In terms of ethnicity, it's quite funny.. I just get annoyed sometimes when people keep bugging me because I look different from them. I know some ppl are just curious or making conversation but some people just take the piss..

Random Person: So where do you come from?
Me: Er, England..
Random Person: Yeh but where originally?
Me: Well I was born in England so I guess I came from England..
Random Person: Ok so what about your parents, your ancestors?
Me: Ah, well they come from China :wink:
Oh another funny stereotype of the Chinese.. cos I am a Chinese, ppl assume that they've seen me at some chippy or another, :rolleyes:
Lol...

It's sad no?

Latest

Trending

Trending