Abby and Holly talk about life at Winchester!

Watch this thread
Winchester Academics
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hello all,

In this thread I'm going to be speaking to two of our students, Abby and Holly, about life at the University of Winchester and what they've got up to during their time here.

If you have any questions about Winch or student life in general, feel free to drop in this afternoon!

I'm Luke, I work in the Communications department and I'm usually available on our official TSR account.

Abby and Holly will introduce themselves below

Luke
University of Winchester
Badges: 10
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Winchester Academics)
Hello all,

In this thread I'm going to be speaking to two of our students, Abby and Holly, about life at the University of Winchester and what they've got up to during their time here.

If you have any questions about Winch or student life in general, feel free to drop in this afternoon!

I'm Luke, I work in the Communications department and I'm usually available on our official TSR account.

Luke
Hello, I'm Holly, a 3rd year Psychology student at Winchester. I joined the uni in 2018! I also work for the uni as Senior Student Ambassador, so I can provide a student insight into university life. Throughout all three years at Winchester I have been a member of the Women's Basketball team, and became social sec of the team in my 3rd year (organising social events during a pandemic was a creative challenge). Also this year I re-established and chair the Psychology Society to create a community of student in a very unusual year. Please let me know if you have any questions about the things I have talked about above or anything about student life in general

Holly
University of Winchester
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Winchester Academics)
Hello all,

Luke
Hello, I'm Abby and I have just finished my undergraduate degree in Business Management. In September I will be starting my masters degree in Business Administration, here at the University of Winchester. I joined in 2018 like Holly, as well as also being a Senior Student Ambassador. During my time here at Winchester, I have been very interested in the different volunteering opportunities and have found it very awarding. If you have questions about student life, volunteering and about Winchester in general. Feel free to ask

Abby
Last edited by University of Winchester; 1 year ago
Winchester Academics
Rep:
Thank you both for the introductions!

It'd be really interesting to hear more about the extra curricular activities you take part in here at Winchester.

Holly, would be able to let us know more about being in a sport team? What the events are like and how often you play games? Furthermore, I'd love to hear more about your experience chairing the Psychology Society!

Abby, It would be great to hear more about your experience volunteering at the University.

Both of you work as Senior Student Ambassadors as well, how have you found this? Would you recommend people applying for ambassador roles when they join us?
University of Winchester
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Hi, I have been apart of basketball since my first year, I had never played the sport before so it was great to try something new. I got to play competitively against other unis across the country. Its quite a community feel being a part of the team, it was great to meet people on different courses and different years. Every Wednesday we would go the student union night out BOP as a team in different fancy dress every week, we would go out for dinner, go to escape rooms as well as training together and doing fitness sessions. We played BUCS (British university and colleges sports league) on Wednesdays and would have around 4 games per semester. We also arranged friendly matches against local teams and colleges. I also played in the varsity game organised by the SU against the Uni of Chichester, its very lively and great to be there to support the other teams at Winchester. Also I had the chance to go on a sports tour to Croatia where we went and played basketball but also went on a bunch of nights out.

Psychology society is something I re-established for students who study psychology or have an interest in the subject so there was a community space during COVID (and to be carried on afterwards too). We put on informal lectures, quizzes, TED talks followed by discussions and much more. It was a really fun thing to do and brought people together which was great to see.

I have been a student ambassador since my first year and during my second year I became a senior student ambassador. Its another great way to meet people from different courses and year groups as well as a really enjoyable flexible job. I highly recommend applying to be a student ambassador as its a great way to gain extra income, in a flexible way alongside your studies!!

Holly
University of Winchester
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
I started volunteering in my second year at university, as I felt like I wanted to gain new skills and connect more with the community of Winchester. To do this, I went via our volunteering hub here at the university; through the guidance of our careers service. I would recommend students to get involved with volunteering as it can contribute towards your HEAR (Higher Education Achievement Record), as once you leave university employers may look at your HEAR to view what extra curricular activities you have done alongside your studies. Before COVID-19 I was volunteering to be apart of 'Linkages' to help battle isolation with the elderly, this would include quizzes to then play different sports. Such as indoor curling, bowls, table tennis and badminton. I must admit that I did lose badminton to a Ninety year old . Volunteering in general is a great way to meet new people, build skills and create memories.

In my first year I became a student ambassador, this had really helped me with my confidence and gained a lot of new skills that I can take into a future work environment. During my second year, I got the role of being a senior student ambassador which has been very rewarding. As you can make good connections with your peers and grow in confidence. Being a student ambassador is beneficial as the university understands how your studies come first and you are able to work around your studies.

Abby
Winchester Academics
Rep:
Tours of Croatia, Badminton with 90 year olds, it really goes to show how much there is to do outside of the course!

BOP was mentioned above, since I started working at Winchester I've heard so much about it. Are you able to explain more about it and events that the Student Union host on campus?

Just to mention as well, the Student Union is a separate organisation to the University, if you want to know more about Sports, Societies and other events they host you can find it on their website:

https://www.winchesterstudents.co.uk/

Luke
University of Winchester
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
BOP is one of the most popular nights out in Winchester, it is put on by the student union every Wednesday night (during term-time). Groups of people either friends or societies/sport teams come in a group fancy dress theme and have a good dance and good night on a two-floor venue. Some themes I have taken part in is cheerleader or food fight (come as different foods), student groups decide their own themes. There are a range of events that the SU hold, from regular events such as the big fat quiz (with a chance to win some cash) and film nights, with other fortnightly events such as Control, Alt, Delete (an alternative music night). As well as one off event such as Summer ball, Christmas ball, Disney nights, silent disco (a must go to!!) and a foam party. Additionally, there are often events where events such as the Superbowl are streamed too.

Holly
University of Winchester
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Alongside with what Holly has mentioned about the various student union events, I have personally attended BOP and found that the atmosphere is just fantastic. A nice ice breaker to go with housemates if you decide on a theme together too! I have also, been to the Christmas ball which was an amazing experience to share with my close friends. It is a nice way to end the academic year, as you can celebrate all the hard work that you have done for that semester. I would suggest having a look at the various events that are available for students.

Abby
Winchester Academics
Rep:
Thanks for letting us know more about the on-campus events, it's good to finally learn about BOP!

As we're speaking about the campus, did you both live in halls during your first year?

Luke
University of Winchester
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
I did live on campus in my first year, I lived in Burma road and loved it (I miss my en-suite). I lived with 7 other people each with a private room and en-suite and we shared the kitchen/living space. I loved being so close to campus so if I woke up late, I could quickly run to my lecture. It was a great way to meet people straight away and many of my flat mates from first year are still friends today. I lived in self-catered accommodation which gave me the freedom to cook my own food when I wanted. However, this did result in me setting the fire alarm off at 8:30am on my first morning in halls which wasn’t the greatest introduction for my flat mates who were in the shower at the time!!! All in all, I really loved my accommodation in first year 😊

Holly
University of Winchester
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
In my first year I stayed in West Downs village, which I thoroughly enjoyed as I got along with my housemates and found them to be a great support system. In total there was Seven of us, we were in shared accommodation. This is where we had our own rooms, but each level had a shower and toilet on opposite ends of the corridor. We also had a cleaner to clean communal areas such as the bathroom facilities and the kitchen. Our kitchen area was a great way to first meet our housemates, to ensure everyone felt at home we decided to have a takeaway night every month. 😊

Abby
Winchester Academics
Rep:
Thanks for joining us this quick Q&A! Unfortunately we had a few technical hiccups yesterday so we weren't able to complete the Q&A.

We did also speak more about the city of Winchester, outside of our lovely campus. If you would like a Q&A on this topic, or with current students again, let me know and we'll arrange one

Luke
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How are you feeling about your results?

They're better than I expected (109)
41.29%
They're exactly what I expected (63)