The Student Room Group

Is 1 advanced higher and 5 highers too much

Like the tittle says, I’m currently moving into S6.
I want to do

*2 of my highers are retakes since I didn’t get the grades I want

- Advanced higher English
- Higher History
- Higher Philosophy
- Higher business
- Higher biology (repeat since I didn’t get the grade I wanted
- in my own time with private tutor: higher maths (also repeat since I didn’t get the grades I wanted)

For reference I want to study law at a Scottish uni, but I’m also considering level 7 solicitor apprenticeships which are mainly in England.

Will this be too much? I feel like it will be manageable since I already have stuff like flashcards and notes for biology I just need to revise and with maths I already know it I just need to revise it well.
Original post by Studysuma
Like the tittle says, I’m currently moving into S6.
I want to do

*2 of my highers are retakes since I didn’t get the grades I want

- Advanced higher English
- Higher History
- Higher Philosophy
- Higher business
- Higher biology (repeat since I didn’t get the grade I wanted
- in my own time with private tutor: higher maths (also repeat since I didn’t get the grades I wanted)

For reference I want to study law at a Scottish uni, but I’m also considering level 7 solicitor apprenticeships which are mainly in England.

Will this be too much? I feel like it will be manageable since I already have stuff like flashcards and notes for biology I just need to revise and with maths I already know it I just need to revise it well.

It won't be that much, though I suggest taking different subjects instead of retaking. It's because you can both widen your amount of Highers and potentially obtain better grades. If you don't have time then you can of course drop higher maths.

I'll give you some context, in various elite independent schools people are taking 4 Advanced Highers, or even 4 Advanced Highers plus one self-study Higher.

I don't think it will be too much. Though you can attempt law internships at universities to broaden your opportunities.
Reply 2
Original post by justlearning1469
It won't be that much, though I suggest taking different subjects instead of retaking. It's because you can both widen your amount of Highers and potentially obtain better grades. If you don't have time then you can of course drop higher maths.

I'll give you some context, in various elite independent schools people are taking 4 Advanced Highers, or even 4 Advanced Highers plus one self-study Higher.

I don't think it will be too much. Though you can attempt law internships at universities to broaden your opportunities.

Okay thank you, do you have any suggestions on how I should tell the school I want to self-study a subject and want to take more than what people typically take? I don’t want them shutting me off and telling me I can’t do it.
Original post by Studysuma
Okay thank you, do you have any suggestions on how I should tell the school I want to self-study a subject and want to take more than what people typically take? I don’t want them shutting me off and telling me I can’t do it.

I think you prove your aptitude by various competitions before and then tell the school. Even if they won't let you, Maths doesn't require a laboratory so you should be able to self-study it. 1 Advanced Higher and 5 Highers with two as retakes ain't that much of a workload. You can give context to your school.

Side note, you will need 6 As in Glasgow or 5 As in Edinburgh (Highers), or you can have 2 Advanced Highers with Bs plus 4 As in Higher for Glasgow uni Scots law.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending