The Student Room Group

MA Law or LLM Legal Studies for a non-law graduate?

Hi, looking for some advice!

I am currently studying a business undergraduate degree (graduating Summer 2022) but I am looking to study Law post-grad.
I studied Law at A Level and have completed some law-based modules during my undergrad but regret not having picked it to study at uni in the first place.
However, I would like to work within the business-side of Law and I am currently writing my dissertation about the legal-side of marketing, so I don't feel my degree is completely wasted!

I am currently trying to decide between 2 postgraduate courses - 'MA Law' at Bristol University or 'LLM Masters of Law (General)' at The University of Law.

Wondering if anyone has any advice/knowledge as to whether employers within the legal field "prefer"/"care" more about which university you study at (as Bristol tends to be well-liked by some law firms, from other family members' experience as Barristers/Solicitors) or whether they focus more on experience/having a LLM qualification rather than an MA in Law?

(I am aware that I could complete a GDL to convert but I enjoy studying the subject so want to complete a masters anyway. After the Masters, I plan to complete the SQE exams/QWE too. )

Many thanks in advance :smile:
Hi, GDL 2021 student here. I did a lot of wrestling with this myself. I don't work in the legal field yet but here is what I know.To be a solicitor or Barrister you will need the GDL, if you simply want to be employed in Business but have busienss related legal knowledge then a masters will help. there are specific law masters for coportate law it just means you cant be a solicitor/barrister.if you do want to be a law associate of soem kind, like in house council for Apple (lol) then you will need GDL, law ba hons or a law apprenticeshipGDL squishes 3 years of law in one and is intesne (2 years half time)law ba would be 3 at smoother paceand a legal apprenticeship you can work while you learn and there are oppurtunities in all sides of law, it takes longer but its a good balence.I apologise for any spelling msitakes my keyboard is not my friend currently.Some GDLs 'turn into' masters LLM if you add an extra module, normally a disertation. uni's like BPP and south bank in london offer this.I hope this helps.

EDIT: also, from sept 21 the SQE Solicitor qualification exam comes in which is hope to replace training contracts. if your intent is to be a solicitor look that up, as some unis offer SQE prep instead of GDL. The new way is pass SQUE 1&2 and have 2 years legal work EXPERIENCE (not nessesarily a training contract)
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest