Saharbrown
Badges: 9
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
Hi there I’m going to be in yr 11 in 3 weeks And I’m feeling extremely scared and worried because I didn’t do well in my mocks so I have so much negativity filled in my mind that I will fail my gcse and I need to pass 5 of them wid at least grades 4 and 5 and I’m extremely scared I feel panicked because I feel like I’m
Not smart enough
edjc123
Badges: 12
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by Saharbrown)
Hi there I’m going to be in yr 11 in 3 weeks And I’m feeling extremely scared and worried because I didn’t do well in my mocks so I have so much negativity filled in my mind that I will fail my gcse and I need to pass 5 of them wid at least grades 4 and 5 and I’m extremely scared I feel panicked because I feel like I’m
Not smart enough
Im also going into year 11 in september and am predicated all 8s and 9s so I can help you if you like? what subjects do you take?
Saharbrown
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
Media studies,french foundation ,drama ,,combined foundation science ,maths foundation ,English language and literature ,rs
Last edited by Saharbrown; 9 months ago
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 9 months ago
heyy so officially today i have completed my gcses but still have a list of tips saved for certain subjects on my phone so i thought they might help you out but keep in mind i did higher maths (which i got a 8 in)

Mathematics Tips
- Don't walk out of the lesson without asking questions if you don't understand and need extra help and support - there's no shame or embarrassment in asking questions
- If you leave the class and still do not understand the topic, make it your mission afterwards to understand it and learn it as soon as purpose (don't let it build up)
- Make use of your teachers: ask questions and ask for help
- If the lesson is going too fast, make sure to check your notes later in more detail
- Use textbooks for revision and practice
- Go to as many interventions as you can
- Practising is important
- Revisit old topics throughout the year
- Do past papers and practice questions
- Practise and revise as soon as possible but don't burn out
- Re do the questions you got wrong with all of the workings out

Resources for mathematics: (make sure the questions are for the right specification)
- Examsolotions
- TL maths
- Physics and Maths Tutor
- Maths Genie
- Crash Maths
- Primrose Kitten on YouTube
- CGP Mathematics revision guides and Workbook

Literature Tips
- Have at least an hour a day of personal reading to get literacy context (wide range needed)
- Remember to learn all the LOs
- Refresh memory with study guides such as SparkNotes, CliffsNotes, YorkNotes, Litcharts and Shmoop
- Organise your notes
- Re read the texts to keep them in your memory
- Discuss your ideas and theories about the texts with other people (contribute in class)
- Practice past papers and exam styled questions
- Review your notes
- Read beyond the essential (such as articles or critic's opinions on the text)
- Learn key quotes
- Use your essays: see what went well, what you need to improve, what aspects of the analysis worked really well and which ones didn't
- Practice your writing style (how to structure the essays, what words to use, opening sentences and ending sentences, etc)
- Learn how to make great notes that you can revisit
- Learn about all of the main characters
- Understand and learn all the context needed
- Context is improvement for poetry
- Make refers to the text's genre, structure and form: why did they present in this way, why is it a poem and not a play, what is the reasoning or it, etc (understanding the writer's purpose)

Literature Resources: (make sure the questions are for the right specification)
- York Notes, Study Revise, CGP textbooks
- SparkNotes
- CliffsNotes
- YorkNotes
- Litcharts
- Shmoop
- Mr Bruff videos on YouTube
Okayn
Rep:
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by 273544)
heyy so officially today i have completed my gcses but still have a list of tips saved for certain subjects on my phone so i thought they might help you out but keep in mind i did higher maths (which i got a 8 in)

Mathematics Tips
- Don't walk out of the lesson without asking questions if you don't understand and need extra help and support - there's no shame or embarrassment in asking questions
- If you leave the class and still do not understand the topic, make it your mission afterwards to understand it and learn it as soon as purpose (don't let it build up)
- Make use of your teachers: ask questions and ask for help
- If the lesson is going too fast, make sure to check your notes later in more detail
- Use textbooks for revision and practice
- Go to as many interventions as you can
- Practising is important
- Revisit old topics throughout the year
- Do past papers and practice questions
- Practise and revise as soon as possible but don't burn out
- Re do the questions you got wrong with all of the workings out

Resources for mathematics: (make sure the questions are for the right specification)
- Examsolotions
- TL maths
- Physics and Maths Tutor
- Maths Genie
- Crash Maths
- Primrose Kitten on YouTube
- CGP Mathematics revision guides and Workbook

Literature Tips
- Have at least an hour a day of personal reading to get literacy context (wide range needed)
- Remember to learn all the LOs
- Refresh memory with study guides such as SparkNotes, CliffsNotes, YorkNotes, Litcharts and Shmoop
- Organise your notes
- Re read the texts to keep them in your memory
- Discuss your ideas and theories about the texts with other people (contribute in class)
- Practice past papers and exam styled questions
- Review your notes
- Read beyond the essential (such as articles or critic's opinions on the text)
- Learn key quotes
- Use your essays: see what went well, what you need to improve, what aspects of the analysis worked really well and which ones didn't
- Practice your writing style (how to structure the essays, what words to use, opening sentences and ending sentences, etc)
- Learn how to make great notes that you can revisit
- Learn about all of the main characters
- Understand and learn all the context needed
- Context is improvement for poetry
- Make refers to the text's genre, structure and form: why did they present in this way, why is it a poem and not a play, what is the reasoning or it, etc (understanding the writer's purpose)

Literature Resources: (make sure the questions are for the right specification)
- York Notes, Study Revise, CGP textbooks
- SparkNotes
- CliffsNotes
- YorkNotes
- Litcharts
- Shmoop
- Mr Bruff videos on YouTube
wow
Rep:
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by Okayn)
wow
yeah... i'm a bit of a try hard when it comes to school and academics and still kept some of the tips for the subjects i'm doing for a level including maths, physics and literature so i had them saved
Okayn
Rep:
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by 273544)
yeah... i'm a bit of a try hard when it comes to school and academics and still kept some of the tips for the subjects i'm doing for a level including maths, physics and literature so i had them saved
Thats good, just in awe of how organised you are. I was panicking last year haha. Goodluck with year 11 it is a worrysome year but hopefully you'll both pull through
Rep:
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by Okayn)
Thats good, just in awe of how organised you are. I was panicking last year haha. Goodluck with year 11 it is a worrysome year but hopefully you'll both pull through
aha i guess... i just always needed to have everything organised and it has happened a lot.... anyways good luck to you with whatever you going to next?
edjc123
Rep:
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by Saharbrown)
Media studies,french foundation ,drama ,,combined foundation science ,maths foundation ,English language and literature ,rs
I don't do media studies or drama but I do the rest of your subjects so I can help there.

English:
With both eng lit and lang, you need to understand mark schemes and AOs (assessment objectives). You can find out what they are + which questions assess which AOs on google, the exam board website or you can ask your teacher.
For english lit, I recommend 'Mr Salles' on youtube and using flashcards to memorise quotes (I put a few key words from the quote on the front and then the whole thing on the back). You can also do practise questions or essay plans to improve essay technique

For english lang, the main thing i can say is just do lots of practise questions in timed conditions. Its horrible and I hate it too but there isnt really much else as far as im aware

French:
The best thing you can do with french is learn vocab. the exam board or textbook you use will probably have a list of vocab (i do edexcel so i can send you a link to this if you do too and cant find it), then use flashcards to learn it - i feel anki is best for this since it uses spaced repetition but quizlet works too (i wouldn't suggest paper flashcards for languages, its very impractical). In a language exam, you will never understand every single word but the more you learn, the more you can understand the context and make educated guesses. its also really important to make sure you understand + can write in various tenses, BBC bitesize has summaries of all the tenses you need (I think some might just be for higher though so probably check which you need). For listening + speaking, try to have a general sense of how the language sounds + try to immerse yourself in it as much as possible, for example you can listen to french music (if you struggle to find them, you can always rely on eurovision songs to find french speaking artists lol, france + switzerland both had french songs this year), don't worry about understand every word as the more you listen, the more you will naturally be able to recognise things you know.

Science:
to learn content, CGP have really good revision guides that you can use to make flashcards and then apply what you've learnt by doing past questions + marking them as science mark schemes can be horrible, so the more you practise, the more you know what examiners are looking for.

Maths:
Make sure that you understand everything by looking at your class notes, youtube or maths watch (you might need a school account for maths watch? im not sure sorry). And then just do loads of practise questions

Rs:
I'll be honest and say that RS is my weakest subject but try to make sure you understand how to answer each type of question + what you need to include. Also make sure you learn as many relevant quotes as possible to be able to use them in the questions that require them, or else you are limited to a certain mark. here is a link to a thread i started asking for RS advice, there is very useful tipes there: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho...4#post95659924
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Physics Paper 1 exam go?

Great! Feeling positive (138)
29.81%
It went fairly well (221)
47.73%
It didn't go too well (66)
14.25%
TERRIBLE! (38)
8.21%

Watched Threads