The Student Room Group

URGENT Clearing Decision??

I have to choose Royal Holloway for computer science or Lancaster for computer science, which should I choose? I am from London so what one do I choose I honestly cannot make a decision. One indicator for me is graduate earnings, I will be working in London so it would be good if you could give some advice
Original post by Y.Rev123
I have to choose Royal Holloway for computer science or Lancaster for computer science, which should I choose? I am from London so what one do I choose I honestly cannot make a decision. One indicator for me is graduate earnings, I will be working in London so it would be good if you could give some advice

My friend studies computer science in lancaster and loves it. See which uni is better for your course. Ultimately u have to make a decision on your own. Lancaster is also a good location and u can always move back to london. But if u dont want to leave london then go to royal holloway. Ask yourself what’s important to you the most . The location? The course? The university? ….

Hi @Y.Rev123

So it sounds like you have a few things to consider. If you choose Royal Holloway, would you live at home or move into student accommodation? If you'd live at home, I suppose you need to consider whether you'd prefer to live at home and commute - or move away and incur the extra costs that come with that.

Other things to consider:

- Are the courses accredited by an industry body like the BCS? Accredited degrees are sometimes looked on more favourably by employers.
- Do the courses offer placement years or work experience?
- What jobs have their graduates gone on to get?
- How do the courses differ? Compare the modules you'll study and consider which ones you'd enjoy most

Thanks and good luck!

Amy

Hi @Y.Rev123,

This isn't an easy decision! Ultimately you've got to go with what is best for you, but here are a few things to consider. Here's some info from the computer science department at Lancaster University:

- Lancaster University is among the best in the UK. A Top 10 university in UK league tables, we’re also highly ranked in international league tables such as the QS World Rankings.
-Our computer science graduates have gone on to work with major technology companies such as IBM, Google, BBC, and BAE, while others have chosen to take their software design, development and management skills to SMEs, or have set up their own technology-centric businesses. Many of our computer scientists also elect to study for MSc or PhD qualifications.
-We provide careers advice and host a range of events throughout the year, including our annual careers fair, attended by exhibitors who are interested in providing placements and vacancies to computer science students and graduates. You can speak face-to-face with employers such as Network Rail, Oracle, and Johnson and Johnson, in addition to a large range of SMEs. - Lancaster University is dedicated to ensuring you not only gain a highly reputable degree, you also graduate with the relevant life and work based skills. You can chat to the dept by emailing [email protected] if you'd like to find out more about our computer science programmes

At the end of the day it is of course, your decision. Might be worth making a pros and cons list, including whether you like the area the Uni is situated in, accommodation, clubs and societies, alongside the academic side of things.

Hope this helps,
Abby, Student Ambassador
Reply 4
Damn, thank you everyone. This has helped.

Knowledge is power, so take this time to do as much research as you can on both options, speak to current students where possible and also look into what they can both offer you. How do they rank, what are their graduate employment stats, what support are you offered as a student, what financial support do they both offer? Other important factors to take into account are where you'd prefer to live, you'll be there for the next three years so it's important that you like where you are. What does the location offer to students and is it within your budget? Take this time to attend online open days, and search online forums such as this for as much insight as possible. Then when it comes to making your decision, you're doing so with all the right information.
Hi, hope you are well, I have applied for Lancaster University for computer Science, wanted to ask you if you went to Lancaster or Royal Holloway, I am from London as well but going for Lancaster because it is better for computer science.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending