The Student Room Group

Swansea, Sussex, Kent or Brookes?

Where should I go to study econ and finance?
Original post by Gunna_Seggs

Which course do you prefer?

Froma location point of view Kent or Brookes.
Depends on your grade predictions, what sort of course you want, and what sort of Uni you would find 'comfortable'.

How to Avoid 5 Rejections - read it all - https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/university/apply/how-to-avoid-getting-five-university-rejections
Go to some Open Days and listen to the subject/course presentations. Look around the Unis and think about the reality of being there for three years.
There is no 'best' - different Unis suit different people and making the right 5 choices is about what you want.
Reply 3
Original post by McGinger
Depends on your grade predictions, what sort of course you want, and what sort of Uni you would find 'comfortable'.

How to Avoid 5 Rejections - read it all - https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/university/apply/how-to-avoid-getting-five-university-rejections
Go to some Open Days and listen to the subject/course presentations. Look around the Unis and think about the reality of being there for three years.
There is no 'best' - different Unis suit different people and making the right 5 choices is about what you want.

I should've mentioned, its for clearing.
Reply 4
Original post by Muttley79
Which course do you prefer?

Froma location point of view Kent or Brookes.

I personally like the structure of course in Sussex and Brookes. However it seems to me out of all of them Sussex is more reputable and nicer city. On the other side Swansea has a beautiful campus and look like top notch imo.
Brighton is NOT nicer than Oxford! Swansea is lovely but there is stil an anti-English 'feel' to the place.

Not in the university. Nearly half the students are English. It isnt an issue.
Original post by swanseajack1
Not in the university. Nearly half the students are English. It isnt an issue.

Yes but you have to live out at some point ... last time I was there I was deliberately given wrong directions.
Yes but you have to live out at some point ... last time I was there I was deliberately given wrong directions.

Well that is most unfortunate and rather stupid. That is certainly not typical. How do you now it was deliberate. The truth is most English people live in Swansea with absolutely no problem. I have worked over the years with a number of English people. None have been treated any differently. I have English people living in my community who have lived here for many years who are part of the community. The truth is that the Bay Campus is hugely multi racial far more so than Singleton and the subjects OP is looking at take place in that campus. The student areas are multi cultural as is the city centre. It is as unlikely somebody will undergo any form of racism here as elsewhere.

If OP feels Swansea is where they want too be they neednt worry about being treated differently. The question for OP is whether the city, university and course is right for them.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by swanseajack1
Well that is most unfortunate and rather stupid. That is certainly not typical. How do you now it was deliberate. The truth is most English people live in Swansea with absolutely no problem. I have worked over the years with a number of English people. None have been treated any differently. I have English people living in my community who have lived here for many years who are part of the community. The truth is that the Bay Campus is hugely multi racial far more so than Singleton and the subjects OP is looking at take place in that campus. The student areas are multi cultural as is the city centre. It is as unlikely somebody will undergo any form of racism here as elsewhere.

If OP feels Swansea is where they want too be they neednt worry about being treated differently. The question for OP is whether the city, university and course is right for them.

I asked in a shop and then went back - they just laughed. I do like Swansea and Cardiff but there are signs in both cricket grounds about racial abuse - never seen that in any other of the 50 grounds I've been to.
Folks - can we keep the anti-Welsh sentiment off these boards please - not constructive, or fair.
What shop. Where. They probably were laughing because they didnt have a clue. What were you looking for and when.
It depends on your ambitions, family circumstances, finances, location preferences and the compatibility between your general lifestyle with that of the uni & campus culture.
Personally I'd only consider Sussex and Swansea if I had sufficient savings able to fund student accomodation very close to campus or had close links with nearby friends/family members willing to allow me to move in with them.
Original post by londonmyst
It depends on your ambitions, family circumstances, finances, location preferences and the compatibility between your general lifestyle with that of the uni & campus culture.
Personally I'd only consider Sussex and Swansea if I had sufficient savings able to fund student accomodation very close to campus or had close links with nearby friends/family members willing to allow me to move in with them.

I cannot comment on Sussex but really that isnt an issue in Swansea. The Bay Campus is 2 and 1/2 miles outside the city Centre with very regular buses and many commute in daily. There are student houses closer than that which students can walk from or take a 5 minute bus ride. Student houses are cheaper than in many English cities.

In terms of which are the best for economics/finance, Sussex > Kent > Swansea > Brookes

Hey @Gunna_Seggs,

You should definitely check out the University of Readings BSc Economics and Finance degree! You can learn more about the economics department here.

I personally love Reading - the campus has everything you could possibly need as a student, and has a lot of green spaces. The coffee shops are great and the campus even has a lake! The lecturers are really helpful and always happy to give you extra help when you need it.

Definitely have a look :smile: Let me know if you have any questions and I'd be happy to help

Daisy
2nd year politics and international relations student
I nearly picked Swansea however there was lack of accommodation in Bay campus for clearing students which meant that I had to commute from Singleton to Bay campus. They journey is around 45 mins each way, the bus tickets are free for student but its not about price but more time.

Oxford brookes has very high number of ppl working in big4 compared to any other uni out of the list. More than 3 other unis combined, I really can't find a reason to justify this data but it seems to be the case based on number of analysts on Linkedin search.

Oxford brookes has very high number of ppl working in big4 compared to any other uni out of the list. More than 3 other unis combined, I really can't find a reason to justify this data but it seems to be the case based on number of analysts on Linkedin search.

Is that from people who did full time undergrad degrees there? Brookes has links with the professional institutes for accounting so a fair number of qualified accountants do MBA/ masters degree or degree conversions (bsc) from there.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending