The Student Room Group

Commercial law from Aberdeen

Hi,

Not 100% sure if this is the right place to post this so please lmk if not. I put Aberdeen as my inusurance choice for university as an impulsive decision, but now that I may have to take that offer I'm reconsidering because I want to have the option of going into corporate/commercial law after. So basically, does anyone know if Magic Circle/Silver Circle recruit from Aberdeen/are interested in Aberdeen students?

If not, I have the grades for Bristol/Warwick/Edinburgh and I might reapply this year (or apply to another course entirely) so I just want to know. Is it worth the hassle of reapplying if I want to go into the commercial sector? Is Aberdeen a dead end?
Original post by livviemouse
Hi,

Not 100% sure if this is the right place to post this so please lmk if not. I put Aberdeen as my inusurance choice for university as an impulsive decision, but now that I may have to take that offer I'm reconsidering because I want to have the option of going into corporate/commercial law after. So basically, does anyone know if Magic Circle/Silver Circle recruit from Aberdeen/are interested in Aberdeen students?

If not, I have the grades for Bristol/Warwick/Edinburgh and I might reapply this year (or apply to another course entirely) so I just want to know. Is it worth the hassle of reapplying if I want to go into the commercial sector? Is Aberdeen a dead end?

From my understanding you'd be better off going to a school in England if you're looking to work for a Magic Circle Firm in London. I'm also in the process of applying and I've ruled out Scottish universities, however, that's not to say that Aberdeen is a dead end. It all depends on you and your ability to achieve good grades and network. That being said, Warwick and Bristol are your best bet in terms of meeting recruiters. I would also recommend looking into Birmingham and Manchester as well. Some good non RG universities that appear in top law firm include Leicester and UEA.
Cheers for this and thanks for the tips. However, I do need to ask, have you seen universities like Liverpool appear in these top law firms? I've been looking around on the student room and some people seem to have a negative perception of it. Many people make it seem as if it is not respected amongst law programs. Would you also say that university status plays a large role in getting top firm TC's (e.g. RG and Oxbridge > everything else)? Or have you seen other universities appear in stats and if so which ones?

Quick Reply

Latest