AKA NO LIMITS
Badges: 14
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
Got A*A*A* (Biology, Chemistry, Maths) in A levels

GCSE: 6-5 (double science) and 4 in English Lang

Had extenuating circumstances and I didn’t know GCSEs were important for medicine

How feasible would it be to start studying for triple science AQA gcse, and AQA gcse English Language as a private candidate to get all 9999 in one year?
Last edited by AKA NO LIMITS; 9 months ago
username5737602
Badges: 17
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 9 months ago
You only did 3 gcses? And yes, it's possible. Especially, considering you got 3A*'s. In fact, it would probably be best to take more than just 4 gcse's
AKA NO LIMITS
Rep:
(Original post by tej3141)
You only did 3 gcses? And yes, it's possible. Especially, considering you got 3A*'s. In fact, it would probably be best to take more than just 4 gcse's
Back in 2019 I got 6665443D*D altogether. Didn’t get accepted to my sixth form so had to go college
I want to get it to 99996643D*D

Should I retake AQA geography too? I only got a 4 in that
username5737602
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by AKA NO LIMITS)
Back in 2019 I got 6665443D*D altogether. Didn’t get accepted to my sixth form so had to go college
I want to get it to 99996643D*D

Should I retake AQA geography too? I only got a 4 in that
Ohh that makes much more sense. I'd say you might aswell. Someone much better suited to giving you advice will probably come soon
AKA NO LIMITS
Rep:
(Original post by Reality Check)
What qualification did you get from college? What are your level 3 qualifications (A levels or equivalent) Are you now in the position that you want to study medicine?
Qualification was OCR for bio, chem and edexcel maths
Yeah, want to study medicine but my gcse are bringing me down badly. I’m sad
Last edited by AKA NO LIMITS; 9 months ago
AKA NO LIMITS
Rep:
You'd be better off looking at an Access to Medicine or Science course at this stage. It's easier from a practical point of view, free (if you go on to complete an undergraduate degree) and gets round any issues with practical endorsement non-examination assessment requirements for practical sciences at GCSE and A level. You'd need to retake your maths GCSE, usually concurrently with your Access course, and achieve at least a B.

Access courses are run by local F.E. colleges. Have you had a look to see if there might be one near you? Now is the time to enquire about these sorts of courses for September.
I have 6 in gcse maths
I haven’t had a look, no. What’s an access to medicine course?
AKA NO LIMITS
Rep:
That's great then

Access courses are Level 3 qualifications (like A levels) designed for adult learners and those who are changing areas/course and who might not have the right A levels or qualifications from the first time round. They take a year to complete full-time and are intense courses. They allow you to apply to universities like you'd done A levels - it's a little bit more complicated for Access to Medicine courses because some universities insist on certain Access courses taken at at specific institutions, others won't take them at all, etc etc. But in general, you will find that medical schools will welcome qualifications like Access and they are the easiest and cheapest way for you to realistically apply for medicine.

Note that an Access course cannot be used to 'cover up' for poor A level grades first time round, but I don't think that applies to you. You'd also need to take one of the UCAT/BMAT/GAMSAT as part of a medical application like all other applicants (those acronyms are for the national admissions tests for medicine).

So, I would start of researching your nearest FE college, and see if they offer an Access to Medicine or Access to Science course starting this September. Next, use the UCAS website, the medic portal website and TSR to research some medical schools you might be interested in applying to - and, most importantly, check that they both accept Access courses as an entry qualification AND they accept the specific Access course which you're planning on doing.
Will my gcse English language grade 4 hinder my acceptance?
mnot
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 9 months ago
Got A*A*A* (Biology, Chemistry, Maths) in A levels

GCSE: 6-5 (double science) and 4 in English Lang

Had extenuating circumstances and I didn’t know GCSEs were important for medicine

How feasible would it be to start studying for triple science AQA gcse, and AQA gcse English Language as a private candidate to get all 9999 in one year?
If you achieved A*A*A* at A-level getting straight 9s at GCSE should be extremely easy (with like for like work ethic). The gap between the top standard of an A-level & top standard for GCSE is huge.
Last edited by mnot; 9 months ago
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 9 months ago
They may suggest you retake it concurrently with your Access course to get it up to a Grade 5 or higher. Some medical schools would require this.
Reality Check
Rep:
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by mnot)
If you achieved A*A*A* at A-level getting straight 9s at GCSE should be extremely easy. The gap between the top standard of an A-level & top standard for GCSE is huge.
I completely misread this thread - I've actually elided two threads, one where the person had no A levels and this one :facepalm:

I'm sorry - I haven't read this properly. Your A levels would allow you to apply to the vast majority of medical schools now - and you have the right grades! When did you take them?

Forget the Access course stuff - this isn't relevant for you with those grades in those subjects. Is your concern just the English GCSE then?
AKA NO LIMITS
Rep:
They may suggest you retake it concurrently with your Access course to get it up to a Grade 5 or higher. Some medical schools would require this.
What are the disadvantages of an access course?
What are the contents you will learn, and do you get graded?
You said I needed gcse practical endorsements, it doesn’t state that I do on any medical school entry requirements though?

And finally, would I still be competing against normal A100 applicants, and would this mean I need a ridiculously high UCAT (whatever threshold the med school has?)
Reality Check
Rep:
Report 9 months ago
What are the disadvantages of an access course?
What are the contents you will learn, and do you get graded?
You said I needed gcse practical endorsements, it doesn’t state that I do on any medical school entry requirements though?

And finally, would I still be competing against normal A100 applicants, and would this mean I need a ridiculously high UCAT (whatever threshold the med school has?)
See my most recent post - when did you do your A levels?
AKA NO LIMITS
Rep:
(Original post by mnot)
If you achieved A*A*A* at A-level getting straight 9s at GCSE should be extremely easy (with like for like work ethic). The gap between the top standard of an A-level & top standard for GCSE is huge.
Would exams be held next summer then?
AKA NO LIMITS
Rep:
I'm sorry - I haven't read this properly. Your A levels would allow you to apply to the vast majority of medical schools now - and you have the right grades! When did you take them?

Forget the Access course stuff - this isn't relevant for you with those grades in those subjects. Is your concern just the English GCSE then?
Oh hahahaha, it’s alright! I took them in 2021
Yeah my concern is just English language, and my double science grade. I’m stuck at the moment
Reality Check
Rep:
Report 9 months ago
Oh hahahaha, it’s alright! I took them in 2021
Yeah my concern is just English language, and my double science grade. I’m stuck at the moment
So sorry - it's been a long day :facepalm:

You've got the best results, and exactly the right A level subjects, so that's a major box ticked. Yes, some medical schools will have a problem with the English, and I think you might have to retake that. The 6-5 for combined science again could be an issue, but possibly less than the English grade. I think with some careful picking of medical schools, you might manage to avoid any issues with GCSEs.

I'm going to tag in becausethenight and GANFYD here who will have a better idea of which medical schools would find the GCSEs problematic and which wouldn't. (thanks guys).
AKA NO LIMITS
Rep:
So sorry - it's been a long day :facepalm:

You've got the best results, and exactly the right A level subjects, so that's a major box ticked. Yes, some medical schools will have a problem with the English, and I think you might have to retake that. The 6-5 for combined science again could be an issue, but possibly less than the English grade. I think with some careful picking of medical schools, you might manage to avoid any issues with GCSEs.

I'm going to tag in becausethenight and GANFYD here who will have a better idea of which medical schools would find the GCSEs problematic and which wouldn't. (thanks guys).
Thanks so much for you help anyways! Gained knowledge about access courses at least lol
mnot
Rep:
Report 9 months ago
Would exams be held next summer then?
I hope so. If exams get cancelled again barring grossly unforeseen circumstances it would be a giant failure.

Although now a precedent has been set, it is far easier to fall back to TAGs.
AKA NO LIMITS
Rep:
(Original post by mnot)
I hope so. If exams get cancelled again barring grossly unforeseen circumstances it would be a giant failure.

Although now a precedent has been set, it is far easier to fall back to TAGs.
Hopefully not lol
yeah, alright, thanks for advice though.i wish I knew medical schools required high GCSEs back in year 11. Would have probably tried harder but oh well

the only problem that I might have is funding the resit for GCSE. Do you think my college will be able to cover it for me?
mnot
Rep:
Report 9 months ago
Hopefully not lol
yeah, alright, thanks for advice though.i wish I knew medical schools required high GCSEs back in year 11. Would have probably tried harder but oh well

the only problem that I might have is funding the resit for GCSE. Do you think my college will be able to cover it for me?
I have no idea. You’ll have to discuss this with them.
AKA NO LIMITS
Rep:
(Original post by mnot)
I have no idea. You’ll have to discuss this with them.
alright, thanks anyways
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Psychology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (262)
42.81%
The paper was reasonable (254)
41.5%
Not feeling great about that exam... (53)
8.66%
It was TERRIBLE (43)
7.03%

Watched Threads