Introduce yourself and make friends !
Last edited by Immortal-Reaper; 2 months ago
Immortal-Reaper
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
I made the thread so I suppose I'll start

1) Currently sat at BBB for History, English Language, and English Literature + doing an EPQ
2) 777766655 (sat mine in 2019 so RIP me)
3) I'm very indecisive and wanted to do a million and ten different degrees so really liked the breadth of topics available
4) Ancient History / Classical Studies but the unis I'm applying are mixed between whether they do a major or not
5) Uni of Exeter x2 (one is the Flexible Combined Honours for Mediterranean studies and theology - both with study abroad), Uni of Kent, Durham and Uni of Nottingham
6) A masters in either history or curating
TheSuckUpStudent
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hey, nice to see somehow applying as well!!
1) I’m not sure what my predicted grades are! I do English Lit, media and psychology.
2) 999999987
3) same reason as you! I couldn’t just pick one subject and when I found out about LA it seemed perfect for me!
4) Not sure about a major, but it would probably be in English or anthropology
5) KCL, Bristol, Exeter, Durham and I’m yet to decide on my final choice!
6) absolutely no idea... I couldn’t pick a subject let alone a job 😂 I think I’d like to do a masters though!

Have you started your personal statement?
Immortal-Reaper
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by TheSuckUpStudent)
Hey, nice to see somehow applying as well!!
1) I’m not sure what my predicted grades are! I do English Lit, media and psychology.
2) 999999987
3) same reason as you! I couldn’t just pick one subject and when I found out about LA it seemed perfect for me!
4) Not sure about a major, but it would probably be in English or anthropology
5) KCL, Bristol, Exeter, Durham and I’m yet to decide on my final choice!
6) absolutely no idea... I couldn’t pick a subject let alone a job 😂 I think I’d like to do a masters though!

Have you started your personal statement?
Hi! Those are great choices, do you have a favourite uni yet? Mines Exeter. Yeah I've done two, one for Liberal arts and one for med studies and religion but they're a bit meh at the minute and need checking by a teacher 🙂 How about you?
TheSuckUpStudent
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Immortal-Reaper)
Hi! Those are great choices, do you have a favourite uni yet? Mines Exeter. Yeah I've done two, one for Liberal arts and one for med studies and religion but they're a bit meh at the minute and need checking by a teacher 🙂 How about you?
I love KCL for the location, but it doesn’t offer as many subject options as Exeter and Durham so I’m not sure at the moment! I’ve written a personal statement for anthropology and archeology as that’s what I was originally planning on doing hahah! My school wanted a first draft before summer and I still hadn’t decided on a subject, but there’s some bits and pieces on it which I think I can use Do you know anyone from your school applying as well?
Immortal-Reaper
Rep:
?
I get that Yeah I've written loads of different personal statements now (Ancient History, History, Anthropology, etc.) I don't think anyone else is applying for Liberal Arts or Exeter but I don't talk to most of them so I don't know, it'll be great to see where this year's leavers have gone because they put up a poster every year Are you the only one too?
TheSuckUpStudent
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I get that Yeah I've written loads of different personal statements now (Ancient History, History, Anthropology, etc.) I don't think anyone else is applying for Liberal Arts or Exeter but I don't talk to most of them so I don't know, it'll be great to see where this year's leavers have gone because they put up a poster every year Are you the only one too?
Yup! My sixth form is tiny and all my friends are applying to STEM related degrees so I’m all alone hahah! My teachers are useless as well- literally none of them have heard of the course😂
Immortal-Reaper
Rep:
?
(Original post by TheSuckUpStudent)
Yup! My sixth form is tiny and all my friends are applying to STEM related degrees so I’m all alone hahah! My teachers are useless as well- literally none of them have heard of the course😂
Yeah, my sixth form is small too (only like 75 people in my year or something like that ) but as I went to college after year 11 for a year and then did a levels I'm in the year below, which isn't too bad as it's my best friend's year. The people I mostly talk to are applying for humanities degrees like politics and architecture but I do know of lots applying for stem too, and my friend from my normal year got into vet medicine. Yeah, I can't wait to try and explain it to my teachers, it's hard enough with some of my older family members. How are you finding English lit, it's my worst subject :confused:
TheSuckUpStudent
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Yeah, my sixth form is small too (only like 75 people in my year or something like that ) but as I went to college after year 11 for a year and then did a levels I'm in the year below, which isn't too bad as it's my best friend's year. The people I mostly talk to are applying for humanities degrees like politics and architecture but I do know of lots applying for stem too, and my friend from my normal year got into vet medicine. Yeah, I can't wait to try and explain it to my teachers, it's hard enough with some of my older family members. How are you finding English lit, it's my worst subject :confused:
I have such a love/hate subject with lit! My teacher is lovely and there’s only 4 of us in the class so we have some really great discussions & all the books we study are mostly interesting. But I absolutely hate the essays- I spend hours writing and trying to perfect essays for homework (which usually ends up in me crying from stress lmao), so my exam technique is really bad and we’ve only had one set of mocks, so I haven’t had much practice at all. We’re also so far behind due to a teacher leaving during online school. Absolutely dreading taking the actual exam s next summer and I’m really hoping that the exam board at least give us the themes beforehand like the rumours are saying!
Immortal-Reaper
Rep:
?
Same! I had no other choices so picked lit as my third option (it was either this or sociology) even though I didn't like it much at GCSE. There's about 12 of us in lit but only 4 in language so I get what you mean. Which books/board do you do? Don't even get me started on mocks Absolutely bombed mine and got an E (compared to Cs in Language and History). Trying not to think about the summer exams still got November and march mocks first .
TheSuckUpStudent
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Same! I had no other choices so picked lit as my third option (it was either this or sociology) even though I didn't like it much at GCSE. There's about 12 of us in lit but only 4 in language so I get what you mean. Which books/board do you do? Don't even get me started on mocks Absolutely bombed mine and got an E (compared to Cs in Language and History). Trying not to think about the summer exams still got November and march mocks first .
I had to decide between lit and sociology as well xD wish I’d done sociology now!! I’m with Edexcel and I do a streetcar named desire (love!), othello (meh), handmaids tale (loveeee), Frankenstein (hate), poems of the decade (ok) and Agatha Christie poems (haven’t studied yet!). Oh, and I’m doing ‘How to be a woman’ and ‘I know why the caged bird sings’ for coursework.
Immortal-Reaper
Rep:
?
I do OCR we study the Tempest (Shakespeare sucks), Frankenstein (Like), The Bloody Chamber (Like), A Doll's House (meh) and Christina Rossetti's poetry (meh). We do two pieces of coursework, a close analysis (I'm doing the poem 'Eurynome' from Nikita Gill's great goddesses collection) and then a comparison (I'm doing 'If We Were Birds' play by Erin Shields and 'Carrie' by Stephen King). As an example for coursework we looked at a streetcar named desire and I was bored most of the time but it was alright, the ending was weirdly sad.
oliviajjjj333344
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
heyyyyy guys thinking about doing liberal arts at uni, do you know how many subjects we can do on the course?
Immortal-Reaper
Rep:
?
(Original post by oliviajjjj333344)
heyyyyy guys thinking about doing liberal arts at uni, do you know how many subjects we can do on the course?
I think it completely depends on the university but I imagine that anything across the available subjects could be studied (usually humanities and social sciences) as long as it totals 120 credits and doesn't clash. Obviously if you do a course where you pick a major, then usually at least half of the credits are taken by that, and some even have requirements to learn a language I think
oliviajjjj333344
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I think it completely depends on the university but I imagine that anything across the available subjects could be studied (usually humanities and social sciences) as long as it totals 120 credits and doesn't clash. Obviously if you do a course where you pick a major, then usually at least half of the credits are taken by that, and some even have requirements to learn a language I think
ohhh ok that makes sense, thank you!!
esme05
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
hi everyone!! I've only just discovered this thread so I'll introduce myself

1) English Lit A*, Graphic Design A*, Psychology A, Politics A
2) 9999988888
3) Bruh I'm so indecisive!! I love too many subjects - hence why I'm doing 4 a levels...shoot me pls...
4) Politics or English I think
5) UCL, Durham, Bristol or Kings
6) Masters? Who knows...

Does anyone know how to structure a personal statement for Liberal Arts? I'm really struggling to show an interest in lots of things without going over the word limit....
Immortal-Reaper
Rep:
?
Thought I'd update you on my choices:

University of Exeter - Liberal Arts with study abroad [Ancient History major]
University of Exeter - Flexible Combined Honours with Study Abroad [Mediteranean Studies and Religion]
University of Kent - Liberal Arts
University of Essex - Liberal Arts with study abroad
University of Leeds - Liberal Arts with study abroad [History or Cultural Studies major]
Immortal-Reaper
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by esme05)
hi everyone!! I've only just discovered this thread so I'll introduce myself

1) English Lit A*, Graphic Design A*, Psychology A, Politics A
2) 9999988888
3) Bruh I'm so indecisive!! I love too many subjects - hence why I'm doing 4 a levels...shoot me pls...
4) Politics or English I think
5) UCL, Durham, Bristol or Kings
6) Masters? Who knows...

Does anyone know how to structure a personal statement for Liberal Arts? I'm really struggling to show an interest in lots of things without going over the word limit....
I know this is a bit late 😅 I structured mine like a normal ps, so introduction, about the course, about my a levels (there's mixed advice on relating your current subjects to your course but I felt it was relevant), skills etc and then conclusion
Immortal-Reaper
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Thought I'd update you on my choices:

University of Exeter - Flexible Combined Honours with Study Abroad [Mediteranean Studies and Religion]
University of Leeds - Liberal Arts with study abroad [History or Cultural Studies major]
Another update (hope to send my application off this week)

University of Keele - Liberal Arts with study abroad

University of Leeds - Liberal Arts with study abroad [History major]

esme05
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 20 hours ago
Hey everyone,

I'm confused on the UCAS application!! The unis want you to specify the major pathway you want to take but I don't understand where you specifically put this...my choice of pathway depends on the uni so it can't go in my PS.

Please help!!!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has your education been disrupted this academic year due to the pandemic?

Yes (124)
86.71%
No (19)
13.29%

Watched Threads