The Student Room Group

gcse options!?!?

do the subjects you pick matter at all? do btecs matter?

I'm sure want to do econ, maths and comp sci at A level and here are my gcse options what do you think?

physics
global perspectives
ICT
comp sci
btec hospitality
btec business
drama

LET ME KNOW!!!
As someone about to go into Yr13, I can say that past English and Maths, it doesn't really matter what you pick unless you need to take the subject to do the A Level. Universities only want 5 GCSEs or so at grade 5 or above including English and Maths so you don't have to worry about that. In terms of A-Level, I did Comp Sci at GCSE and am doing it at A-Level and I'd recommend taking it at GCSE because lots of the stuff you look at in A-Level (certainly for the OCR spec) is building on the GCSE stuff so it helps give you that foundation early on. I can't speak for Econ or Maths (I'd check your school's requirements for studying those if possible just to be sure) but otherwise since you'll already be doing Maths GCSE I'd say it's pretty much up to you, I don't know how many you get to pick.
Reply 2
Original post by Ethan512
As someone about to go into Yr13, I can say that past English and Maths, it doesn't really matter what you pick unless you need to take the subject to do the A Level. Universities only want 5 GCSEs or so at grade 5 or above including English and Maths so you don't have to worry about that. In terms of A-Level, I did Comp Sci at GCSE and am doing it at A-Level and I'd recommend taking it at GCSE because lots of the stuff you look at in A-Level (certainly for the OCR spec) is building on the GCSE stuff so it helps give you that foundation early on. I can't speak for Econ or Maths (I'd check your school's requirements for studying those if possible just to be sure) but otherwise since you'll already be doing Maths GCSE I'd say it's pretty much up to you, I don't know how many you get to pick.

thanks!! I don't know a lot of people who are taking comp sci at A level r you enjoying it?
Original post by SWARRLEY
thanks!! I don't know a lot of people who are taking comp sci at A level r you enjoying it?

You're welcome!! Yeah, I am enjoying it, it was my second favourite subject at GCSE (after Chemistry) and I find programming really fun.
Reply 4
Original post by Ethan512
You're welcome!! Yeah, I am enjoying it, it was my second favourite subject at GCSE (after Chemistry) and I find programming really fun.

AWESOME MAN. and thanks again!!

Quick Reply

Latest