Got a 7 in physics but a 4 in math

Watch
thebingbongpop
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
Hey I have gotten from a predicted 5 and have achieved a 4 today this is because I have a attendance of 85% thanks to my Medical condition. Do you think the collage I have applied to may let me sit physics because I have a high grade in it and in general my grades are pretty good besides my Math obviously.
juicygcse
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by thebingbongpop)
Hey I have gotten from a predicted 5 and have achieved a 4 today this is because I have a attendance of 85% thanks to my Medical condition. Do you think the collage I have applied to may let me sit physics because I have a high grade in it and in general my grades are pretty good besides my Math obviously.
I mean the best course of action would be ask your college because different colleges have different admissions requirements. Having said that, A level physics is very maths based, so if you are working at a 4/5 level you would need to be putting in some serious effort this holiday to catch up if you were going to take it, and realistically it might be a better idea to re-evaluate taking A level physics
CaitlinDeCat
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
A-level physics is like taking A-level maths and more, if you can't get a grade 7 in maths and ideally 8+ I wouldn't take it at a level if you want to get a B+
thebingbongpop
Rep:
?
(Original post by juicygcse)
I mean the best course of action would be ask your college because different colleges have different admissions requirements. Having said that, A level physics is very maths based, so if you are working at a 4/5 level you would need to be putting in some serious effort this holiday to catch up if you were going to take it, and realistically it might be a better idea to re-evaluate taking A level physics
I'm strong at maths I sat only 1 of 3 papers for maths and got a 4 my school arent taking the mock grades into consideration as people had cheated on them even though I scored a grade 6.
CaitlinDeCat
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Your school only did 1 set of mocks?!

Mine did 6 sets and sent 4 of the sets off as evidence ... (all full length, in the hall, not open book)
thebingbongpop
Rep:
?
(Original post by CaitlinDeCat)
A-level physics is like taking A-level maths and more, if you can't get a grade 7 in maths and ideally 8+ I wouldn't take it at a level if you want to get a B+
I didn't ask if I would pass I asked if the College may still accept me. Anyway, I'm strong at math and I'm really confident in it even though my GCSE grade may say something different. I am so confident in Math that I will be taking it as A-Level Math that I'm applying for it through Open Collage.
CaitlinDeCat
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I didn't ask if I would pass I asked if the College may still accept me. Anyway, I'm strong at math and I'm really confident in it even though my GCSE grade may say something different. I am so confident in Math that I will be taking it as A-Level Math that I'm applying for it through Open Collage.
Well that's what the college is going to think, they won't accept someone they believe won't get a minimum of a grade C otherwise it looks bad on them... so your gonna have to do a hella lot of convincing for them to let you do it with a grade 4 on record
_Ippo1
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
The best plan of action for you would be to retake the Maths exam in the autumn. I like you was in the same position as you last year when i got a 7 in Physics but a 3 in Maths. I had to resat my Maths exam and got a 6, I was 5 marks off a grade 7. Bear in mind this was all in the space of 2 months (August 2020 - October 2020). I am retaking year 12 at a different sixth form and I am going to study A-level Maths, Physics and Chemistry. I would say for now, find a sixth form that you can resit your GCSE Maths if your school doesn't do resits. Secondly, because the resit exam is in October, November (after the academic year has began), you won't be able to actually do A-level Physics and A-level Maths until the next academic year so you should ask yourself questions about whether or not you want to start year 12 a year late but the decision is yours. Best of luck.
thebingbongpop
Rep:
?
(Original post by _Ippo1)
The best plan of action for you would be to retake the Maths exam in the autumn. I like you was in the same position as you last year when i got a 7 in Physics but a 3 in Maths. I had to resat my Maths exam and got a 6, I was 5 marks off a grade 7. Bear in mind this was all in the space of 2 months (August 2020 - October 2020). I am retaking year 12 at a different sixth form and I am going to study A-level Maths, Physics and Chemistry. I would say for now, find a sixth form that you can resit your GCSE Maths if your school doesn't do resits. Secondly, because the resit exam is in October, November (after the academic year has began), you won't be able to actually do A-level Physics and A-level Maths until the next academic year so you should ask yourself questions about whether or not you want to start year 12 a year late but the decision is yours. Best of luck.
did they initially let you do physics A-level?
Last edited by thebingbongpop; 2 months ago
_Ippo1
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
did they initially let you do physics A-level?
No they did not. They said that I couldn’t do physics without getting a grade 6 minimum in gcse Maths
Last edited by _Ippo1; 2 months ago
thebingbongpop
Rep:
?
(Original post by _Ippo1)
No they did not. They said that I couldn’t do physics without getting a grade 6 minimum in gcse MathOh
Oh so after you took a year to take maths again what else did you do during the year just revise math?
_Ippo1
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Oh so after you took a year to take maths again what else did you do during the year just revise math?
If you leave education at 16 for anything even something as simple as retaking an exam and the going sixth form the next academic year can risk you from losing your rights to free education as a student. It's best to stay in school/sixth form even if you are not doing the subjects of your choice. You can resit your exams and while studying your other subjects and then retake the year at the current school if they'll let you or retake at another school which is what I did.
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
A-level physics is like taking A-level maths and more,
This isn't really correct. A solid grasp of GCSE maths is required, but the content over and above that is usually co-taught alongside the physics content. The subject is definitely easier the more maths you've done (and the better you are at maths), but it's not really 'like taking A level maths and more'. Also, there is no actual requirement to take A level maths alongside physics, though most candidates do.

Have a look at the AQA specification here, pp 74–79. You'd need to be confident of all the maths in these lists, plus a bit more. We wouldn't normally accept someone with a grade 4 in maths for physics A level: we'd be looking at a 6 minimum.
CaitlinDeCat
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Reality Check)
This isn't really correct. A solid grasp of GCSE maths is required, but the content over and above that is usually co-taught alongside the physics content. The subject is definitely easier the more maths you've done (and the better you are at maths), but it's not really 'like taking A level maths and more'. Also, there is no actual requirement to take A level maths alongside physics, though most candidates do.

Have a look at the AQA specification here, pp 74–79. You'd need to be confident of all the maths in these lists, plus a bit more. We wouldn't normally accept someone with a grade 4 in maths for physics A level: we'd be looking at a 6 minimum.
I mean you can say it's not like A-Level maths all you want, the mechanics in 2nd year Alevel maths is mostly all in first year physics, the topics you find in A-Level maths pure like logs and calc for variable acceleration is also all on A-level maths... Yes there is a lot of re-arranging equations but if you don't know how to do mechanics,logs and variable acceleration your going to spend a lot more time struggling. My school would never recommend A-level physics to anyone who wasn't taking A-level maths because of this gap and also wouldn't accept people doing A-level physics or maths without a grade 7 so...
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I mean you can say it's not like A-Level maths all you want, the mechanics in 2nd year Alevel maths is mostly all in first year physics, the topics you find in A-Level maths pure like logs and calc for variable acceleration is also all on A-level maths... Yes there is a lot of re-arranging equations but if you don't know how to do mechanics,logs and variable acceleration your going to spend a lot more time struggling. My school would never recommend A-level physics to anyone who wasn't taking A-level maths because of this gap and also wouldn't accept people doing A-level physics or maths without a grade 7 so...
It's not me saying it, Caitlin - it's the exam board which sets your syllabus and administers your examinations...

I don't actually disagree with your sentiment - as I said in my post, it's better to have as much maths as possible. But as to the actual sentiment 'it's A level maths PLUS' - it's not.

The reason why I'm being clear about this is that I've known several students who were weak or with low confidence in maths thrive and do really well at A level physics, due to good maths support and co-teaching the important maths content alongside the A level physics content. No-one should be put off thinking of doing A level physics if they've got good basic maths skills and the drive and motivation to learn the rest of it as they go along.
Last edited by Reality Check; 2 months ago
CaitlinDeCat
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Reality Check)
It's not me saying it, Caitlin - it's the exam board which sets your syllabus and administers your examinations...

I don't actually disagree with your sentiment - as I said in my post, it's better to have as much maths as possible. But as to the actual sentiment 'it's A level maths PLUS' - it's not.
Well most schools will expect you to know A-Level maths topics that you need in A-Level physics because they don't have the time to dwell on teaching maths as well as the physics content... Yea maybe the statement is exaggerated but it's to get the point across the school's arn't keen on someone doing physics without maths because it's more of a struggle, and most people struggle with physics enough without the maths gap...
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (152)
54.87%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (39)
14.08%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (31)
11.19%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (26)
9.39%
I haven't started researching yet (16)
5.78%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (13)
4.69%

Watched Threads