The Student Room Group
University of Leicester
University of Leicester
Leicester
Visit website

Question about University of Leicester halls/student accommodation

I have a few questions regarding the Uni of Leicester and their halls and accommodation

1) What halls come with a separate toilet and shower? I really do not want to share one with strangers so I'd like to know which ones do so that I know which ones to apply for
2) Which are the most sociable halls to live in? There are halls that are 5 minutes away from the University and ones that are 20 minutes away. Which ones are more sociable? As I'll be going on my own I want to make friends easily and so realistically I want to live in a sociable hall so that making friends isn't difficult.
3) Is there a bus that takes you from the areas that are 20 minutes away from the University to the Uni? Or would I need to walk there and back?

Some other questions I have
4) Is the University gym free or not? If not, how much does it cost.
5) How much hours a week dowe a student spend in lessons?
Original post by Anonymous
I have a few questions regarding the Uni of Leicester and their halls and accommodation

1) What halls come with a separate toilet and shower? I really do not want to share one with strangers so I'd like to know which ones do so that I know which ones to apply for
2) Which are the most sociable halls to live in? There are halls that are 5 minutes away from the University and ones that are 20 minutes away. Which ones are more sociable? As I'll be going on my own I want to make friends easily and so realistically I want to live in a sociable hall so that making friends isn't difficult.
3) Is there a bus that takes you from the areas that are 20 minutes away from the University to the Uni? Or would I need to walk there and back?

Some other questions I have
4) Is the University gym free or not? If not, how much does it cost.
5) How much hours a week dowe a student spend in lessons?

Hello :smile:

1) If you have a look on our accommodation page, you can click on specific room types and see which ones come with an ensuite and other features they include too. For my 1st year I shared 3 bathrooms with 5 other students and it honestly wasn't that bad! Everyone does their own bit to ensure the bathrooms are clean and we also had cleaners that came every 2 weeks.

2) In terms of accommodation it's completely up to you what you decide to go with. Both accommodations are really social however it all depends on how you make the most of your experience, what people end up in your flat, what sort of things you get involved in etc. I lived in Glebe Court, Beaumont Hall in the student village during my first year and really enjoyed it! I found that is was really sociable and easy to meet people from all around the village. The area itself has lots of green spaces and also converted houses, so it doesn't really have that stereotypical student flat block feel to it. Also you may find that in your 2nd and 3rd year you move closer to the university as you move into a house with your friends (for example I now live in Clarendon Park which is a 5 minute walk from the university).

Both accommodations also have lots of social activities for you to get involved in like study spaces, cinema rooms, social spaces, pubs etc. It's also important to note that you'll meet people from your course and sport/societies too, so there are lots of ways for you to meet new people other than just your accommodation :smile:

3) What places specifically do you mean by this? If you would like to get from the student village to campus or Brookfield (Business school) there is an exclusive shuttle bus for students. However if you would like to get into the city centre it is about a 10/15 minute walk from campus, so not too far at all.

4) The university gym is not free. You would have to pay £150 for a years membership, however this is a similar price if not cheaper than external gyms that you may find in the city centre. The £150 is also a gold membership meaning you have full access to the gym, swimming pool, steam room and classes.

5) What do you mean by this? Do you mean on average how much would a student spend on lessons in terms of equipment, books etc or average living cost?

Hope this helps and if you have any further questions please do not hesitate to ask!

Best wishes,
Anita- 3rd year Business Management student
University of Leicester
University of Leicester
Leicester
Visit website
Reply 2
Hi AnitaMy son has just been offered Glebe hall. ( just after we visited so haven’t managed to view).What are the kitchens like? Is there a table and sofa in them like Meadow court- which we did see. Is it separated into flats? I’m hoping My son is very quiet so I’m hoping he will make friends- is it easy to get to know people outside your part of the hall? Many thx
Hi @Tiff76

That's good you got to see Meadow Court as it is actually very similar to Glebe court! Kitchens are spacious and have an oven, sink, dishwasher, cupboards etc. There is no sofa in the communal area however there is a dining table and chairs round it too. There is a social space in Beaumont Hall (which is where Glebe is) and it has lots of sofas and seating areas as well as the village hub which has a bar, games room, cinema room and study spaces. So there are still lots of opportunities for your son to meet people and get to know others outside his flat.

Hope that helps and if you have any other please do not hesitate to ask :smile:

-Anita 3rd year Business Management student
Hi Anita, you know how they say u can expect to share the bathroom facilities with 3-8 people, is that one bathroom and toilet or are there multiple available? I'll be staying at the beaumont lodges.
Reply 5
Original post by University of Leicester
Hi @Tiff76

That's good you got to see Meadow Court as it is actually very similar to Glebe court! Kitchens are spacious and have an oven, sink, dishwasher, cupboards etc. There is no sofa in the communal area however there is a dining table and chairs round it too. There is a social space in Beaumont Hall (which is where Glebe is) and it has lots of sofas and seating areas as well as the village hub which has a bar, games room, cinema room and study spaces. So there are still lots of opportunities for your son to meet people and get to know others outside his flat.

Hope that helps and if you have any other please do not hesitate to ask :smile:

-Anita 3rd year Business Management student

Thx that is really helpful to know 🙂
Original post by Octavian1
Hi Anita, you know how they say u can expect to share the bathroom facilities with 3-8 people, is that one bathroom and toilet or are there multiple available? I'll be staying at the beaumont lodges.

Hi @Octavian1

Great question! This depends on how many people you live with. For 3-8 people I would say you will probably have 3 separate toilets and showers, so yes there will definitely be multiple available :smile:

Kind regards,
Anita

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending