The Student Room Group

a level choices to do vetenary medicine?

I've chosen biology and psychology and I wanted to pick chemistry but I didn't meet the entry requirements, what other subject's can I do that are similar or will help me to do vetenary medicine later on?
Reply 1
I think all the universities require chemistry A-level so you may struggle if you cannot get a place. Could you do a GCSE resit?
Apologies if this isn't correct :smile:
I am thinking of doing a resit but I'm worried I won't be allowed to pick it as an a level at the same time. I've emailed them and I'll see what they say.
Unfortunately for the vast majority of the vet courses (all except the ones I'm about to name) you have to take chemistry as a requirement - there isn't another way about it, they get 10+ applicants to a spot which mostly all meet the requirements, so rejecting on requirements is easy for them. There are also GCSE requirements which you also have to meet, so if you don't meet the requirement to take Chemistry A Level do you meet their baseline requirements to apply for the course? For some unis these are more important than your predicted grades, and while they may make some small exceptions (I applied this year already having my A Levels, and they made an exception for me missing one GCSE grade) again it would be easy for them to reject you over these. Most unis ask for a 7 in Biology and Chemistry at GCSE, and usually also want you to have a certain number of 7s and also have English, Maths and Physics at a 6 - this varies higher and lower uni dependent but this seems to be the most common requirement.

However, the few exceptions are Harper Keele ask for an A in Biology or Chemistry, then ask for an A in; Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Maths or Further Maths and Statistics, so if you can take one of those instead then you could apply without Chemistry. Liverpool state you need an A in Biology, and an A in another science subject out of Physics, Mathematics, Geography, Geology, Psychology, however you must still do the Chemistry AS Level and get at least a B. Nottingham have a prelim course which is 6 years instead of 5, and specifically designed for those who only take one of Biology or Chemistry so that is an option, however there are very limited spaces on the course. I believe Bristol's gateway course also states only one of Biology or Chemistry, but again very limited spaces and you have to be eligible to apply for gateway. I believe those are your only options that don't require Chemistry at A Level, but reiterating that prelim and gateway courses don't have many spaces (and you have to meet eligibility requirements) so are very competitive and also all of these will have GCSE requirements to meet so read the admissions pages carefully. Some also overlap, e.g. Bristol doesn't let you apply if you have over certain grades which would be needed for the other courses.

I would say that your best option would be to resit GCSE chemistry and take the A Level (even if this means taking an extra year of education), or move schools to one which will allow you to take it at A Level. With the course being so competitive as it is, it is best to be able to apply to 4 vet schools confidently knowing you at least reach their minimum requirements. Even meeting all the requirements many applicants have to reapply, including myself - for 2020 entry I didn't get any offers despite having the grades and work experience, so I had to take a gap year and reapply. It isn't really a case of what subject will help you with vet med, realistically it's more of a case of you need chemistry just to apply.
thank you for taking your time to help me! I've decided I'm going to retake chemistry and ask the college if I'd be allowed to take rhat a level while resitting it, if I wouldn't be allowed then I'd probably have to choose something else then after I get my grade in November, change it to chemistry. I hope they'd let me change it since it's the start of the year and it would only be 2 months in.
Original post by farihaanisha
thank you for taking your time to help me! I've decided I'm going to retake chemistry and ask the college if I'd be allowed to take rhat a level while resitting it, if I wouldn't be allowed then I'd probably have to choose something else then after I get my grade in November, change it to chemistry. I hope they'd let me change it since it's the start of the year and it would only be 2 months in.

I wish you luck! Obviously this is school dependent but my Sixth Form did allow you to switch subjects until about January of Year 12, so I reckon November would be fine if they allow you - maybe just try to start the A Level content on your own so you're not too far behind once you start.
yes I'll have stuff to catch up on so I'll have to manage my time and revise for the 2 months I'll miss. I really hope they'll let me change in November.
Original post by farihaanisha
I've chosen biology and psychology and I wanted to pick chemistry but I didn't meet the entry requirements, what other subject's can I do that are similar or will help me to do vetenary medicine later on?

Hello @farihaanisha,

here are the typical entry requirement for veterinary science at the university of liverpool. I hope this can help to guide your decision.

AAA in three A Level subjects:

- Biology or human biology at grade A

- Chemistry, or another academic science-related subject (Physics, Mathematics, Geography, Geology, Psychology) at grade A

- A third subject of your choice* at grade A

If Chemistry is not offered at A-level, it must be offered at AS-level (at grade B or above).

For Science A-levels in which practical assessment is separately graded, a “pass” grade will be required.
(this is the typical entry requirement) for this course.

General Studies is not considered for this course.

Antonia :h:
University of Liverpool - student rep

Quick Reply