The Student Room Group
Main Concourse, Brunel University
Brunel University London
Uxbridge
Visit website

Can I Apply to an AAA university with ABB at A-Levels

I live in Qatar, and I studied in The English Modern school Al Khor. They only had till Year 12 AS-Level and it was CIE. There are only 2 other Schools in Qatar that offer CIE A Levels and both were full. After I finished my AS I was stuck I couldn’t move into majority of the schools as they taught EDEXEL. So I did what I had to do and studied myself, gave the exam as a private candidate via British council. I wanted to apply for this year 2021 entry but I couldn’t last year as I didn’t have a predicted grade. So I got the grades this 2021 August and I’m planning to apply through UCAS for the 2022 Entry. I have an A (Economics) B (Mathematics) B (Physics). Universities I’m looking at are Bristol,Exeter,Newcastle,Bath,York. Bristol,Bath and Exeter have AAA as requirements. But Bristol has ABB as a contextual offer. Newcastle and York have AAB as requirements. Do you think I may be able to get an offer, as I really couldn’t attend a school and had no one to teach me would it count as an extenuating circumstance?
Reply 1
What course are you looking to study?
Main Concourse, Brunel University
Brunel University London
Uxbridge
Visit website
Original post by ajj2000
What course are you looking to study?

Accounting and Finance Bsc
Reply 3
Original post by athuissocool
Accounting and Finance Bsc

Ah, ok - I know something about that. By the way - you have posted this in the Brunel university section? It would be worth asking the same question under the 'ucas' or 'accounting and finance' forums.

One thing which everyone has a huge issue with at the moment is trying to predict the effects of changes due to Covid. This years A level results (where people didn't sit full exams in England and Wales) were way higher than ever before. No-one knows what will happen next year - could well be the same. This years applications - for 2022 entry - are likely to have a lot of people who got higher grades than they expected reapplying. Also the universities are nervous of giving offers without much idea of how many people might get the grades.

This makes it difficult to predict what your outcomes might be. Of course the universities have different allocations for overseas students (paying far more than local students) so your position may well differ from an English applicant. By the way - as you self studied do you have a school or teacher to help with your reference?

Regarding the universities you have shown interest in - Exeter, Newcastle, York, Bath and Bristol - I know that in a normal year Newcastle and York plus probably Exeter would have had places in clearing you would have been accepted for. Thus I'd expect them to have accepted you in a normal year. I'm not as sure about the other two as they are both very keen on having a grade A in maths. By the way - you are looking at smaller, attractive cities. Is this a focus?

So - what I would do if I were you:

I would read through the accounting and finance forum and especially this thread from 2021 admissions:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=638

I would aim to get a UCAS form submitted as soon as they open (early September) and apply for two or three courses. Also - keep reading the forums. You need to look for which of your preferred universities make quick offers for their A+F courses so you can see where you get before using up all 5 spaces. Hopefully you get one or two unconditional offers then consider from there! I think I would tend towards applying to two of Exeter, Newcastle and York first - but check how quickly they have issued offers in previous years.
Original post by ajj2000
Ah, ok - I know something about that. By the way - you have posted this in the Brunel university section? It would be worth asking the same question under the 'ucas' or 'accounting and finance' forums.

One thing which everyone has a huge issue with at the moment is trying to predict the effects of changes due to Covid. This years A level results (where people didn't sit full exams in England and Wales) were way higher than ever before. No-one knows what will happen next year - could well be the same. This years applications - for 2022 entry - are likely to have a lot of people who got higher grades than they expected reapplying. Also the universities are nervous of giving offers without much idea of how many people might get the grades.

This makes it difficult to predict what your outcomes might be. Of course the universities have different allocations for overseas students (paying far more than local students) so your position may well differ from an English applicant. By the way - as you self studied do you have a school or teacher to help with your reference?

Regarding the universities you have shown interest in - Exeter, Newcastle, York, Bath and Bristol - I know that in a normal year Newcastle and York plus probably Exeter would have had places in clearing you would have been accepted for. Thus I'd expect them to have accepted you in a normal year. I'm not as sure about the other two as they are both very keen on having a grade A in maths. By the way - you are looking at smaller, attractive cities. Is this a focus?

I would read through the accounting and finance forum and especially this thread from 2021 admissions:

I would aim to get a UCAS form submitted as soon as they open (early September) and apply for two or three courses. Also - keep reading the forums. You need to look for which of your preferred universities make quick offers for their A+F courses so you can see where you get before using up all 5 spaces. Hopefully you get one or two unconditional offers then consider from there! I think I would tend towards applying to two of Exeter, Newcastle and York first - but check how quickly they have issued offers in previous years.

Do you have any thoughts /experience on Loughborough re same as above and any further update on your very helpful thoughts ….thank you
Reply 5
Original post by Anonymous
Do you have any thoughts /experience on Loughborough re same as above and any further update on your very helpful thoughts ….thank you

I have interviewed people from A+F at Loughborough in recent years and remember people with ABB (and possibly a bit lower) getting places. The university is getting better known and more popular each year so grade requirements are increasing.

Hello!

Is it our Accounting and Financial Management BSc that you are hoping to apply for?

Our typical offer for this course is an AAB. You are welcome to apply, but we can't guarantee that you'd get an offer and if you did then it would likely be in line with our standard entry requirements for this course.

However, if you have extenuating circumstances that you would like to be considered then you would be best to email the admissions team at [email protected] and explain your situation. They can then give you some personalised advice.

I hope this helps :smile:

Kalisha
Original post by Loughborough University
Hello!

Is it our Accounting and Financial Management BSc that you are hoping to apply for?

Our typical offer for this course is an AAB. You are welcome to apply, but we can't guarantee that you'd get an offer and if you did then it would likely be in line with our standard entry requirements for this course.

However, if you have extenuating circumstances that you would like to be considered then you would be best to email the admissions team at [email protected] and explain your situation. They can then give you some personalised advice.

I hope this helps :smile:

Kalisha

Thank you ever so much Kalisha. international management or management are my courses of interest which I believe is AAB. Is one more competitive than the other? I am on AAC currently and not sure if this will even be looked at? Possible to get A*AC or AAB or A*AC …working on it! I am trying to ascertain if it’s worth applying or would I be declined at 1st hurdle. Also looking at Brunel.
Thank you ever so much Kalisha. international management or management are my courses of interest which I believe is AAB. Is one more competitive than the other? I am on AAC currently and not sure if this will even be looked at? Possible to get A*AC or AAB or A*AC …working on it! I am trying to ascertain if it’s worth applying or would I be declined at 1st hurdle. Also looking at Brunel.

Hi,

All of our business management courses are very popular. None of our programmes went into Clearing last year because they were already full.

The likely outcome is that if your application is successful then you'd be made an offer for AAB. I would really recommend getting in touch with admissions because they can talk you through the process so that you can work out if it would be an option for you. Then you can decide whether or not you want to apply, particularly if you're considering other institutions too. It's a huge decision!

Hope that helps :smile:
Kalisha
Original post by ajj2000

I got an unconditional offer from York and Exter. Still waiting on Bristol. I’ve been put on hold for almost 3 months should I keep any hopes?
I think Bristol are often slow so i wouldn't read too much into it.
Original post by athuissocool
I got an unconditional offer from York and Exter. Still waiting on Bristol. I’ve been put on hold for almost 3 months should I keep any hopes?

Did you end up getting an offer from Bristol?

Quick Reply

Latest