The Student Room Group

Getting a car soon but worried because I haven't driven properly in 1 year

I passed my test last august but I haven't driven properly since, just been driving in one specific area every now and then so I don't forget the basics, I'm just worried that when I start driving I'll forget or mess up
Reply 1
Original post by Agent456
I passed my test last august but I haven't driven properly since, just been driving in one specific area every now and then so I don't forget the basics, I'm just worried that when I start driving I'll forget or mess up

You may surprise yourself. I've been driving an automatic for years, but I drove my friend's manual the other day and it was absolutely fine. I think it gets quite ingrained in you, kind of like riding a bicycle. For your own sake, maybe drive through some side-roads until youre comfortable and then head to main roads and eventually A-roads and motorways!
Reply 2

...so you've actually done some driving since, which is great. You're therefore not going to forget "the basics".
I was doing some driving on & off for a few years after I passed my test, frequently with a few months in between, and never forgot how to drive. I then had a gap of 6 years - yes, you read right, six whole YEARS - and was a nervous wreck when I first got in a car again. Remembered what to do in the space of 50 meters, stop at a junction and a right turn. Take your time and don't let idiots on the road bully you - you'll be fine.
Reply 3
Original post by Emily_B
...so you've actually done some driving since, which is great. You're therefore not going to forget "the basics".
I was doing some driving on & off for a few years after I passed my test, frequently with a few months in between, and never forgot how to drive. I then had a gap of 6 years - yes, you read right, six whole YEARS - and was a nervous wreck when I first got in a car again. Remembered what to do in the space of 50 meters, stop at a junction and a right turn. Take your time and don't let idiots on the road bully you - you'll be fine.

yeah but it was driving in the same exact area for that time and only every now and then so I don't forget the basics
I did this but didn't drive the whole period I went uni

gonna be honest its taken me literal years to get comfortable again, I basically had to relearn everything and as much as people say it comes naturally it didn't for me.
Reply 5
yeah but it was driving in the same exact area for that time and only every now and then so I don't forget the basics

...and the first time I drove for 6 years was somewhere I'd never driven before. Driving round somewhere new is daunting for anyone, even those with loads of experience. I can promise you that you'll remember the basics and will be absolutely fine.
Reply 6
Original post by Emily_B
...and the first time I drove for 6 years was somewhere I'd never driven before. Driving round somewhere new is daunting for anyone, even those with loads of experience. I can promise you that you'll remember the basics and will be absolutely fine.

Lol you was right, I was fine, I remembered everything.
Reply 7
Lol you was right, I was fine, I remembered everything.

Brilliant. Well done

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending