The Student Room Group

My chances

I got 5A* 2A 1B in my IGCSE My school only allowedme to take 8 IGCSE The highest anyone in my school has ever got is 6A* My dream is Cambridge university Do you think is will put me at a significant disadvantage comparedto other Cambridge applicants?
Original post by manya779
I got 5A* 2A 1B in my IGCSE My school only allowedme to take 8 IGCSE The highest anyone in my school has ever got is 6A* My dream is Cambridge university Do you think is will put me at a significant disadvantage comparedto other Cambridge applicants?

Not really, I only got three 7s and Oxford said they'd consider me as long as my A levels were up to scratch. I imagine Cambridge is the same.
Reply 2
Original post by LowBlowChloe
Not really, I only got three 7s and Oxford said they'd consider me as long as my A levels were up to scratch. I imagine Cambridge is the same.

Did you get in?
Did you get in?

Nope, didn't get predicted an A in history like I needed to so didn't bother applying. That being said a person in the year above me got to the interview after getting four 7s and one 8 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

That’s already a good set of grades and if your school only allowed you to do 8 and you’ve nearly got one of the highest in your school, I’m sure that they would consider the context of your grades. Ultimately, Cambridge care less about GCSEs when it comes to making an offer and are more bothered by your a level predictions and interview performance. You’ve got four other choices as well so it’s worth giving it a go.

Your grades are pretty good in general (similar to the grades I applied with), and considering your school's performance they're exceptional. Cambridge doesn't place too much weight on GCSEs anyway, so I wouldn't be concerned.
8 IGCSEs is fine, especially if your school didn't allow you to take more than this. Your grades are good, but how well you do will to some extent depend on what you're applying for. Because we have a restriction on how many students we can take for Medicine, especially from overseas, competition is fierce. In all subjects, we pay more attention to the grades the subjects were achieved in (i.e. we would be worried if your lowest grades were in subjects that were really relevant to the course you want to study).
Reply 7
Original post by Peterhouse Admissions
8 IGCSEs is fine, especially if your school didn't allow you to take more than this. Your grades are good, but how well you do will to some extent depend on what you're applying for. Because we have a restriction on how many students we can take for Medicine, especially from overseas, competition is fierce. In all subjects, we pay more attention to the grades the subjects were achieved in (i.e. we would be worried if your lowest grades were in subjects that were really relevant to the course you want to study).

Thank you for your reply. I got all A*s in maths, physics, chemistry, ICT and French and I want to study physical natural sciences at uni.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending