The Student Room Group

German a level

hi!
can someone give me tips on how to revise for german a level - especially the analysis on the movie and the book?
I'm going into year 13, I've been predicted an A* but I'm struggling a lot
Any help would be appreciated. Thank you so much x
Whatever book or movie you choose, it's helpful to familiarize yourself with that type of exam tasks. Download past exams and grading examples from your exam board's website.

You have to really read/watch it (several times) to develop a solid grasp of historical context, characters and their arcs, plot, important turning points, etc.

There are A-level study guides on specific books or movies (Das Leben der Anderen).
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by yoursunshinexx
hi!
can someone give me tips on how to revise for german a level - especially the analysis on the movie and the book?
I'm going into year 13, I've been predicted an A* but I'm struggling a lot
Any help would be appreciated. Thank you so much x

Hi, I did french a level but the courses are pretty much the same!! For the book: read the English translation before reading the french copy during the summer holidays - it’s super helpful and you’ll be able to get to grips with the plot easily so it’s one less thing to worry about when reading the text in the original language, as then you’ll just be able to focus on what the words mean and memorising quotes to put in essays rather than what’s happening. Also, writing plot summaries for each chapter is really helpful and helps you keep track of what’s happening, as in essays you’ll need to be specific about where abouts in the book the thing or the quote in the book happens.

For the film: watch it with English subtitles first - it’ll help you get used to listening to the language and picking out words. Watching it with subtitles in German is also very helpful, as often they speak very quickly and if you need to put movie quotes in the essay you’ll be able to know exactly what’s being said. Like the book, it’s helpful to split it up into sections and make summaries as you go through, also making notes of key scenes and characters.

Try and have an eye for detail when reading and watching the book and film - you’ll need points to write about that you’ll be able to explain! Think about what the themes of the book may represent, or how the directors of the film used lighting to create an effect during some scenes. Basically note taking will help you a lot!
Original post by Krokodilo
Whatever book or movie you choose, it's helpful to familiarize yourself with that type of exam tasks. Download past exams and grading examples from your exam board's website.

You have to really read/watch it (several times) to develop a solid grasp of historical context, characters and their arcs, plot, important turning points, etc.

There are A-level study guides on specific books or movies (Das Leben der Anderen).

thank you so much! This was really helpful!
I do have the A-level study guide on 'Goodbye Lenin' but it doesn't really go into much analysis.
Would I need to go into full analysis like English lit GCSE or is little analysis enough?
Original post by Culver
Hi, I did french a level but the courses are pretty much the same!! For the book: read the English translation before reading the french copy during the summer holidays - it’s super helpful and you’ll be able to get to grips with the plot easily so it’s one less thing to worry about when reading the text in the original language, as then you’ll just be able to focus on what the words mean and memorising quotes to put in essays rather than what’s happening. Also, writing plot summaries for each chapter is really helpful and helps you keep track of what’s happening, as in essays you’ll need to be specific about where abouts in the book the thing or the quote in the book happens.

For the film: watch it with English subtitles first - it’ll help you get used to listening to the language and picking out words. Watching it with subtitles in German is also very helpful, as often they speak very quickly and if you need to put movie quotes in the essay you’ll be able to know exactly what’s being said. Like the book, it’s helpful to split it up into sections and make summaries as you go through, also making notes of key scenes and characters.

Try and have an eye for detail when reading and watching the book and film - you’ll need points to write about that you’ll be able to explain! Think about what the themes of the book may represent, or how the directors of the film used lighting to create an effect during some scenes. Basically note taking will help you a lot!

wow thank you so so much! This was so informative and helpful. I really appreciate it!!
That's a great idea! I'm going to download the English version tonight :smile:
Thank youu!!
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending