The Student Room Group

Inflexible/unreasonable volunteering interview?

Hello,

I applied to volunteer at a well-known charity, but they said they said they wanted to interview me on Wednesday before I volunteer, but I said that I couldn't do the interview next Wednesday at 11am-2pm because I had a hairdresser's appointment but I could do anything other day (FYI, my hairdressers gets extremely busy and I can't get in for a month sometimes) , so they said they couldn't do the interview and put the phone down. Is this inflexible and unreasonable on the charity's part, or should I have been more flexible? Let me know your thoughts! Thanks xx
Some would say you are not that serious for the job if a hair appointment is that important.
Reply 2
Original post by random_matt
Some would say you are not that serious for the job if a hair appointment is that important.

Point taken, but is it fair on my hairdresser to cancel abruptly like that? I did offer to do any other day.
Reply 3
Original post by LilacRoses
Point taken, but is it fair on my hairdresser to cancel abruptly like that? I did offer to do any other day.

Look at it the other way round. If there are several candidates the interviewers will have arranged a suitable room, timetable and a period to complete any necessary paperwork for each person. You are wanting them to repeat all that on another day just to suit you! It comes over as being too casual about the role and lacking an understanding of the recruitment process. Volunteering for a charity is still a serious undertaking!

I'm sure if the hairdresser is busy they can find someone to fill your slot if you cancel.
Reply 4
Original post by Surnia
Look at it the other way round. If there are several candidates the interviewers will have arranged a suitable room, timetable and a period to complete any necessary paperwork for each person. You are wanting them to repeat all that on another day just to suit you! It comes over as being too casual about the role and lacking an understanding of the recruitment process. Volunteering for a charity is still a serious undertaking!

I'm sure if the hairdresser is busy they can find someone to fill your slot if you cancel.

Thank you for your reply; I'll think about that in the future. If they phrased it like that then might have been more sympathetic.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending