The Student Room Group

20 year old person in my uni flat?

Hi, I just found out after connecting with a few people from my uni flat that we have one 20 year old living in our flat? Just wondering if this is normal, seems a bit weird that they're not being put in mature student accomodation?

Scroll to see replies

Wow someone 2 years older than you, that is so big, omg 20 years are so old. Stop making a big deal out of it. And 20 year olds aren't mature students. Plus, it's uni, you're not in secondary school. You're gonna be living and studying with older people.
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
Wow someone 2 years older than you, that is so big, omg 20 years are so old. Stop making a big deal out of it. And 20 year olds aren't mature students. Plus, it's uni, you're not in secondary school. You're gonna be living and studying with older people.

not trying to be rude but i just feel like they'll be too mature for the rest of us and maybe won't get as involved in flat parties or something? do 20 year olds generally live similarly to 18 year olds at uni or are they more like mature students?
Reply 3
20 is not a mature student. If they didn't tell you their age, I guarantee you wouldn't have been able to tell.
not trying to be rude but i just feel like they'll be too mature for the rest of us and maybe won't get as involved in flat parties or something? do 20 year olds generally live similarly to 18 year olds at uni or are they more like mature students?

20 year olds are still young people. There are 18 year olds who don't drink or party, every body is different. And even if they didn't, why would that be a problem enough for you to make a thread about it?
This is so funny! They're in their first year of uni so have every right to be in uni accommodation.
Perhaps they've had a gap year (or two)?
Reply 6
you having a laugh? A two year age difference is nothing lmao
I'm 18 in halls this year, if I have a 20 year old flatmate I won't bat an eyelid
You'll be twenty before you even finish uni. It's not exactly mature student territory.
Reply 8
I’m returning to halls (albeit as a postgrad student) at 22/23, so it’s nothing out of the ordinary. Have seen so many people like yourself though thinking a 2-4 year age difference means the older ones are all retired dysfunctional grandmas/granddads who are there to spoil all the fun. Grow up
I hope you’re trolling.
😂😂 technically you could have a 25 year old!! Makes no difference at all! Although it does seem you are very very immature so I’m guessing even the 18 year olds are going to be too mature for you
I bet if you do not ask who it is you will not be able to guess.
Hi, I just found out after connecting with a few people from my uni flat that we have one 20 year old living in our flat? Just wondering if this is normal, seems a bit weird that they're not being put in mature student accomodation?

Mature student is 22 + iirc and 25 + in HCP courses ( hang over from old i.e. 90s Nurse bursary rules)
Lol

Jokes on you when you get to 20 and realise people are just as immature.

In my friends flat there is a 23 year old, a 26 year old and then the other 6 are 18/19 year olds. They normally mix mature students in if the mature students decide to stay on campus
Wow I’m glad my flatmates weren’t like you - I was 21 when I started.
You won’t notice the age difference TRUST me :smile: - well maybe only on birthdays but still
Plus I think you’ll find most mature student accommodation is reserved for families and post grad students.
(edited 2 years ago)

Maybe they're going to be worried that you're too immature and a bit of a ****?
Reply 17
I knew people of that age in halls when I was an 18 yr old fresher so can only speak from my personal experience. Yes there’s a gap but it’s only a problem if you make it one. It actually works out slightly cheaper but tbh at my uni they put you with 2nd/3rd/4th years if you’re not first year anyways. 18 year olds are quite immature but I also know plenty of 21 year old 3rd years who hadn’t exactly grown up either…
omg im starting uni at 21 this year - didn't realise this would be a problem
Original post by student_702
omg im starting uni at 21 this year - didn't realise this would be a problem

It's not, really. The OP is just extremely immature. In my experience basically everyone at uni from 18-22 more or less intermix and have pretty much the same perspectives on life and expectations of it (which often includes what they do in their downtime and for entertainment!). Older students (usually 25+ year olds) than that sometimes choose not to engage in that, but that is always a specific choice on that individuals part, and normally students don't really care even if there are people in their 30s that they're going out clubbing with, much less sharing a flat or lecture hall with. The reason some older mature students do choose not to engage in those activities is because they're more likely to have their own families or established long term friendships outside of the uni and so for them uni is more like a job which they are doing to achieve some later goal - so they see other students more as colleagues than friends (and/or enemies!).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending