The Student Room Group

help with fast track a levels

i’ve just finished sixth form and although i am happy with the course i REALLY want to do english literature a level during my upcoming year. problem is though i want to fast track it so i can go uni next year september... does anyone have any advice or tips on being a private student doing an a lvl in one year?? should i do it at home independently or find a college to do it at? i got a 9 in gcses for english literature which is an A** and i’m ready to put in the work and time towards getting this english lit a lvl !
Reply 1
Original post by ines3naldi
i’ve just finished sixth form and although i am happy with the course i REALLY want to do english literature a level during my upcoming year. problem is though i want to fast track it so i can go uni next year september... does anyone have any advice or tips on being a private student doing an a lvl in one year?? should i do it at home independently or find a college to do it at? i got a 9 in gcses for english literature which is an A** and i’m ready to put in the work and time towards getting this english lit a lvl !

English Lit A Levels can have really awkward structures and all the exam boards are very different so I would definitely advise getting some exam information from a tutor/teacher. I’ll give you my advice as someone who did AQA.

I guess it is possible to do all the content in a year but A LOT of work. In total I had to read 4 books, 2 plays and 2 poetry anthology’s (20-30 poems). We had coursework where we had do a 3000 word comparison of 2 out of the 4 of these books and everything else would be tested in an exam. (Covid messed that up however).

Essay structure is different to GCSE and you’d definitely want a tutor to read over your practice essays and give you feedback. I know this is specific to AQA but i hope it gives you a general idea.

[Edit] It’s definitely possible to learn just the content to an exam appropriate degree at home without guidance as there’s a tonne of websites and revision guides. But there is a downside to this because a lot of their analysis and overviews are generalised and common points made in exams. Sometimes teachers can point you towards better more advanced resources.
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest