The Student Room Group

English Lit, Business Studies & Politics or Business Studies, Philosophy & History?

I just got my GCSE results and my grade is enough to study any subject. I want to go down the business route in University. Which combination would you say is better overall? Thanks.
I'd say neither will disadvantage and I'd choose whichever you enjoy the most as in order to do well at A level you should be motivated and this will only happen if you enjoy the course. That being said I k ow Histroy and English Lit. are very well regarded by universities over politics or philosophy lets say. Do whatever you enjoy though, every one of those subjects would be a good combination for business.
Business Studies would be more compatible with an A-level like Maths because that is useful for Business degree courses, and Maths A-level is an entry requirement for Business school at some universities.
English Lit and Philosophy aren't that compatible with Business Studies, but Politics and History would go alright with it. So it would be best to do Business Studies, Maths and either Politics or History for the third A-level.
Original post by rosy_posy
Business Studies would be more compatible with an A-level like Maths because that is useful for Business degree courses, and Maths A-level is an entry requirement for Business school at some universities.
English Lit and Philosophy aren't that compatible with Business Studies, but Politics and History would go alright with it. So it would be best to do Business Studies, Maths and either Politics or History for the third A-level.

I completely forgot sbout maths, yep for buisness this is probably a huge one. As an entry requirement for some unis it may limit your options for where you can apply.
How to Choose 6th Form Subjects - read it all - https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/a-level/subjects/choosing-your-subjects
Reply 5
Original post by sofiavxx
I'd say neither will disadvantage and I'd choose whichever you enjoy the most as in order to do well at A level you should be motivated and this will only happen if you enjoy the course. That being said I k ow Histroy and English Lit. are very well regarded by universities over politics or philosophy lets say. Do whatever you enjoy though, every one of those subjects would be a good combination for business.

I would do History Business and English Lit but History and BS conflicts in the timetable in the sixth form i am applying to. I would love to do both I got a 7 in History but yeah... You got a suggestion?
Reply 6

I don't really want to do maths alongside BS . Maths is also too stressful a topic for me. What do you suggest as an alternative?
Reply 7
Original post by McGinger
How to Choose 6th Form Subjects - read it all - https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/a-level/subjects/choosing-your-subjects

thanks for the link i will check it out
Original post by Arda16
I don't really want to do maths alongside BS . Maths is also too stressful a topic for me. What do you suggest as an alternative?

Even if you don't do it at A-level, Maths is important for Business school. A grade 6 or above in maths GCSE is a standard entry requirement for a degree in Business Management.
Sheffield: GCSE Maths grade 6/B, GCSE English Language at grade 4/C
Birmingham: GCSE Mathematics and English at grade 6/B
Manchester: Grade B or 6 in GCSE/iGCSE English Language and Mathematics
Bristol: 6 or B in GCSE Mathematics
Bath: GCSE Mathematics grade 6 or B, GCSE English Language or Literature grade 6 or B
Reply 9

Even if you don't do it at A-level, Maths is important for Business school. A grade 6 or above in maths GCSE is a standard entry requirement for a degree in Business Management.
Bath: GCSE Mathematics grade 6 or B, GCSE English Language or Literature grade 6 or B

I got 5 in Maths but I do meet the english lit requirements
Original post by Arda16

Some business degree courses accept that grade. York, Queen Mary and Leicester all require grade 4 in GCSE maths, Leeds and Liverpool grade 5.
But after graduation, the sort of jobs business graduates go into are mathematically based, such as being a Business Analyst, HR Manager or an Accountant. A grade 5 in maths would be more of a limitation if you chose to go down that path because you wouldn't have the level of mathematical ability that is necessary for the job.
Reply 11

Original post by Arda16

You need to meet all the requirements for a course in order to even be considered. If you don't have a grade 6 in maths, you are not going to be accepted into a course which requires a grade 6 in maths.
(edited 2 years ago)
Either combination is fine as business (and related) courses usually do not require any particular subjects. Some related courses (e.g. accounting and/or finance, management science, etc) may require a minimum grade in GCSE Maths above a 5/C or may require AS or A-level Maths. Those probably wouldn't be options for you, so make sure you check the requirements for the courses you are looking at carefully. As above GCSE requirements tend to be something universities are very inflexible on and are usually "hard" requirements they won't vary.
Original post by Arda16
I just got my GCSE results and my grade is enough to study any subject. I want to go down the business route in University. Which combination would you say is better overall? Thanks.

Hello,

I would recommend searching for the entry requirements for the universities that you are interested in.

However, business does not tend to have strict subject requirements so i would suggest picking the subjects which you enjoy the most as this will be reflected through your grades.

Antonia :h:
University of Liverpool - student rep

Quick Reply

Latest