The Student Room Group

best sixth forms in London

Hi, I'm going into year 11 this year and starting to look into different sixth form options. I'm willing to travel for about an hour into central/east London. I've got a few options so far but was wondering if any current students could give advice on what you think about schools in this area. I got all 7's and above in my year 10 mocks and I'm looking to take English Lit, History, Physics and maybe philosophy, ethics and theology ( if I need a 4th option.)
the schools I'm looking at right now are :
Harris Westminster
London academy of excellence
King Edwards Grammar School
Brampton manor academy
Newham college sixth form
pls let me know anything about these schools, like the teaches and just the general atmosphere of the schools and also any other suggestions of schools in this area.
Reply 1
Brampton manor applications are closed
i can answer questions on hwsf.
there's lots of information available on the school on the website and elsewhere online too
the general "atmosphere" of the school, etc is a bit vague, idk wat to say lol
Original post by n05y15
Brampton manor applications are closed

Are you sure? I just checked the website, application for 2022 are still open
Reply 4
Original post by otherhalf06
Are you sure? I just checked the website, application for 2022 are still open

Ah sorry I completely misread haha I thought you wanted to join year 12 this year
Reply 5
Original post by Obolinda
i can answer questions on hwsf.
there's lots of information available on the school on the website and elsewhere online too
the general "atmosphere" of the school, etc is a bit vague, idk wat to say lol

hi, thank you, sorry for being a bit vague. ive read so many mixed opinions on the school like the teachers dont really care about your mental health and that the workload is way too much to cope with. ive looked into it quite alot and id love to go to a school like this but im a bit unsure about the interviews and entrance exams and what those are like. if you could tell me about the social aspect of the school as well, that would be great. thank you :smile:
Original post by Rosie.Edgar
hi, thank you, sorry for being a bit vague. ive read so many mixed opinions on the school like the teachers dont really care about your mental health and that the workload is way too much to cope with. ive looked into it quite alot and id love to go to a school like this but im a bit unsure about the interviews and entrance exams and what those are like. if you could tell me about the social aspect of the school as well, that would be great. thank you :smile:

Oh well I do feel that the teachers do care about our mental health, our form tutors and head of house specifically have lots of training and take on a MASSSIVE pastoral care role. There's lots of support and information available from PSHE, well-being focus group, school counsellors and nurse and the head of welfare & head of safeguarding.

I think the work load is fine. I'm not entirely sure why the school had this perception as the work load is of any typical a level. We need to revise for termly tests and do response tasks. We get homework too... That's it really. I'm not saying it's easy but a levels aren't meant to be.

The website has lots of info on the entrance exam and interview.

social aspect?... erm well you get to meet ppl through societies, lessons, sports and CPs. We don't have a playground or communal area which can hinder things but you can hang out with ppl at lunch, break and free periods
Reply 7
Oh well I do feel that the teachers do care about our mental health, our form tutors and head of house specifically have lots of training and take on a MASSSIVE pastoral care role. There's lots of support and information available from PSHE, well-being focus group, school counsellors and nurse and the head of welfare & head of safeguarding.

I think the work load is fine. I'm not entirely sure why the school had this perception as the work load is of any typical a level. We need to revise for termly tests and do response tasks. We get homework too... That's it really. I'm not saying it's easy but a levels aren't meant to be.

social aspect?... erm well you get to meet ppl through societies, lessons, sports and CPs. We don't have a playground or communal area which can hinder things but you can hang out with ppl at lunch, break and free periods

thank you so much:smile:
Reply 8

heard u guys have to go in on saturdays. hwsf was one of my choices until i heard that and it completely put me off lol
Reply 9
Original post by Rosie.Edgar
Hi, I'm going into year 11 this year and starting to look into different sixth form options. I'm willing to travel for about an hour into central/east London. I've got a few options so far but was wondering if any current students could give advice on what you think about schools in this area. I got all 7's and above in my year 10 mocks and I'm looking to take English Lit, History, Physics and maybe philosophy, ethics and theology ( if I need a 4th option.)
the schools I'm looking at right now are :
Harris Westminster
London academy of excellence
King Edwards Grammar School
Brampton manor academy
Newham college sixth form
pls let me know anything about these schools, like the teaches and just the general atmosphere of the schools and also any other suggestions of schools in this area.

i think we’re more or less in the same boat! i got 99887777766 in my mocks but still time for improvement - u should consider woodhouse academy i’ve heard good things about it so far, also do u know when we’re supposed to start applying? some applications open as early as september but idk my school hasnt really said much about applying to sixthform - they gave us an assembly on the last week of school showing us the differences between the qualifications we can take etc and the grades we need but still clueless about when i should start applications lol
Original post by s.ghaz
heard u guys have to go in on saturdays. hwsf was one of my choices until i heard that and it completely put me off lol

we start Saturday school in year 12 from June
then in year 13, I think it's around every other Saturday
from 9-1

but fair enough :tongue:
Reply 11
from 9-1

that doesnt sound too bad - thought u would have to go in every saturday from like 9-3 haha
Reply 12
from 9-1

also i want to take three a levels but hwsf forces u to take 4 so i was thinking of choosing the core maths/epq option. could u explain what we do in that a bit more? do we do like a-level maths alongside an epq or what? bc i was already gonna pick a level maths.
Original post by s.ghaz
also i want to take three a levels but hwsf forces u to take 4 so i was thinking of choosing the core maths/epq option. could u explain what we do in that a bit more? do we do like a-level maths alongside an epq or what? bc i was already gonna pick a level maths.

im not too sure as I don't do either :redface:
Original post by s.ghaz
i think we’re more or less in the same boat! i got 99887777766 in my mocks but still time for improvement - u should consider woodhouse academy i’ve heard good things about it so far, also do u know when we’re supposed to start applying? some applications open as early as september but idk my school hasnt really said much about applying to sixthform - they gave us an assembly on the last week of school showing us the differences between the qualifications we can take etc and the grades we need but still clueless about when i should start applications lol

to be honest i have no idea, my school hasnt said much either but i know that some schools applications have opened, but i think for me personally id rather go to open evenings before applying. also thanks for the recommendation, i have looked into woodhouse a bit but its about 1.45hrs journey which is a bit far for me!!

Quick Reply

Latest